iTalk - Fantastic Apple Phone/Pod mockup

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As seen on Cult of the Mac

iTalk Phone Mockup

I wish that Apple would produce something as exciting as this. It's been awhile since the last iMac design, the most recent exciting piece of design to come out of Cupertino. I'd say they are due. Unfortunately it seems that this isn't from Apple. Perhaps they will be smart enough to clone it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Yeah. I've seen that video before. It is pretty awesome.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Two folding bits? Too fussy, would you have to open it with two hands in order to answer a call? Even if it flicked automatically your hand would get in the way. Very nicely done in terms of the presentation, but the design is too un-apple for it to be believable as an Apple product.

I know my mockup (just a pic) uses a sliding mechanism, but that is to minimize the length of the phone when it is in your pocket. The mechanism on this mock up is simply to protect the main screen within and camera it seems, and not change the form factor. There is some weirdo lines near the camera as well - extremely un-Apple, why create lines for no purpose? (and no it is not called design). There are too many inconsistencies imo.

Looks like a bling Nokia. Not to mention the Apple logo is ridiculously large.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    bigmac81bigmac81 Posts: 10member
    It is pretty cool
  • Reply 4 of 43
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    I really enjoy the flashing Apple for the ringer. Consistent with Apple or not, I wish they would make it. As for having to unfold it to dial (though probably not to speak), I think I can handle that okay. This is the most beautiful piece of portable kit I have ever seen. I WANT ONE!!!
  • Reply 5 of 43
    It's completely un-ergonomic.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

It's completely un-ergonomic.

So don't buy one.

I disagree by the way, but that's okay.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    I wouldn't. Point is Apple would never make something so clumsy. Two hand operation to open it? Can you not see that, or has the "cool slick advertising" won you over?

• Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:

I wouldn't. Point is Apple would never make something so clumsy. Two hand operation to open it? Can you not see that, or has the "cool slick advertising" won you over?

And who says it takes two hands to open it? You clearly have not imagined one of several solutions to how it opens. You have only visualized the most ineffective way. It is clumsy to you. That's fine. It isn't so to me. Further, as someone who used to make ads and has worked on product design and development and interface, no, I wasn't won over by slick advertizing. Be more careful about what you assume.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    How exactly would you open it with one hand then? Enlighten me.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:

How exactly would you open it with one hand then? Enlighten me.

Okay, here is just one way.

One button release spring loaded with resistance, giving a smooth and gentle opening with some stability.

There's one. I really want to focus on other things at the moment. There are a number of ways that they could do it. Your are assuming that the action is entirely manual and fully operator-dependent. I think that is a bad assumption. In fact, I couldn't imagine anyone deploying a two-gait cover in such a way because, as you point out, something engineered in that way would be difficult to operate.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    I can, however, imagine that one might close it by squeezing both wings between the thumb and forefingers...though that would depend at least in part on the size of the unit, which is tough to judge here.

Heck, you find it clumsy and I find it beautiful. You see its problems, and I imagine a unit that has elegant design solutions engineered into it. Some people like the brick. I still prefer my Razr because I neither want my phone redialing on its own in my pocket, nor do I want to unlock the keypad every time I need to use it. Makes the world go round.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Well consider this, hold a phone normally... The back of the phone rests on your palm. Even if it had a sprung mechanism that opened slowly, the two squares would arch back into your hand, can you not see it? I'm not complaining about how it opens, but about the way it opens.

Where you see elegance, I see someone trying to use it.

• Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

Well consider this, hold a phone normally... The back of the phone rests on your palm. Even if it had a sprung mechanism that opened slowly, the two squares would arch back into your hand, can you not see it? I'm not complaining about how it opens, but about the way it opens.

Where you see elegance, I see someone trying to use it.

Not if you are holding the body, no. Why the smugness about how you see it? I see someone trying to use it too. Me. Just different strokes for different folks, but your repeated assumptions about me and how I see and what influences me are a tad insulting. I love the phone and you don't. I want one and you don't. I get it. Let's leave it at that, eh?
  • Reply 14 of 43
    There's a reason why no phone company (or if one has been made like it, it hasn't sold well) makes a phone like this. I'll leave it at that.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:

There's a reason why no phone company (or if one has been made like it, it hasn't sold well) makes a phone like this. I'll leave it at that.

Your arrogance is not becoming.

I am not sure that I would point to current mobile manufacturers' work as evidence of what works and what doesn't. Most mobile phones are crap. Nobody had made a StarTac until Motorola did so.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

I'm with you, looks great but completely impractical. Guess I'm just inelegant too.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Some will love it. Some won't. Not a reflection on either.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Erm, where's the battery?

Where's the space for the other components?
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Ok, say you can use it without dislocating your thumbs and forefinger and the spring mechanism magically worked both ways, why change the form factor at all? Does it really bring new functionality that no flip phone currently does not? Or should Apple be so desperate to be different that it makes a design more complicated than it need be?

I know you think I'm being negative, but you are being undeniably blindly positive, which is worse? I'm beginning to think you made this vid yourself.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:

Ok, say you can use it without dislocating your thumbs and forefinger and the spring mechanism magically worked both ways, why change the form factor at all? Does it really bring new functionality that no flip phone currently does not? Or should Apple be so desperate to be different that it makes a design more complicated than it need be?

I know you think I'm being negative, but you are being undeniably blindly positive, which is worse? I'm beginning to think you made this vid yourself.

I am not being blindly positive. I like it. Yes, I can see a mechanism that works, and as I said, can also imagine that it will only be necessary to open it, and not to close it. Yes, it presents some engineering challenges to making something that rates in terms of usability. Insurmountable ones? I don't think so. You do. To me, it would be worth solving them, and I do think solutions could be found. To you, I suspect that it is not worth it.

Personally, this is the first iTunes/vTunes phone that I have seen that is of any interest to me. Others love the sliding-panels phone we have all seen here, a design solution that currently exists in the marketplace, and one that could be good though I really don't like any of the phones currently on the market that use this strategy, not that someone else couldn't impliment it better.

I am not asking you to like this phone. Some will like it and some won't. Some will imagine ways to impliment this design in a usable design, and some won't. I think that I understand where you fall on these points, and I have no problem with that. I don't think that you are being negative. I do think that you unfortunately insult in order to assert your point with a seeming air of authority.