Apple's top legal exec quietly departs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Where are the first hand post employment interviews of these former top tier players? Mainstream press is not reporting about attempted contacts. Are the whereabouts of these people secret? Investment analysts haven't asked about departures at quarterly disclosures.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

This is becoming a little disconcerting. Just the same it could really just be a combination of "Hey, I put in 20 years or so...I've got millions...time to move on."

I wonder if something else is happening that is causing all of this though.

20 years is a long time in any business but 20 years working for Jobs could be brutal. Especailly during the early years. I say take the money and run...
  • Reply 23 of 58
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

20 years is a long time in any business but 20 years working for Jobs could be brutal. Especailly during the early years. I say take the money and run...

I really think that's what it is. It is the common thread for all three. I'd probably get out (if I had the $) too.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I have to be honest - at my age (61) I can clearly see the benefits of taking a large pile of money and enjoying life - doing what every I wanted to do. These folks have sufficient funds to enjoy the years they have left in a way that very few people can.

Me? I'd be outta there and already have my first trip (to the UK for me) planned and tickets bought.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

I have to be honest - at my age (61) I can clearly see the benefits of taking a large pile of money and enjoying life - doing what every I wanted to do. These folks have sufficient funds to enjoy the years they have left in a way that very few people can.

Me? I'd be outta there and already have my first trip (to the UK for me) planned and tickets bought.

Where are you visiting Ken?
  • Reply 26 of 58
    retiariusretiarius Posts: 142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

Mach allows OS X to excel as both a Unix machine and as arguably the best user experience yet seen on a computer. Linux is a very long way from achieving that, and the architecture of its kernel and the limitations it imposes is a factor. [/B]

Apple kernel futures are intriguing -- is this a good forum for such?

If, indeed, Mach is currently best for multimedia on a client, but

some other Unix variant is better for servers, it would be nice to

know how Apple envisions how they want to play in these markets.

E. g, Sun's Solaris seems to have the right combination of server chops

and licensing (whereby you can keep the Apple secret sauce layers

proprietary). The entreaty by Apple to jam ZFS in there somwhere

is useful. And now that McNealy is out, perhaps sjobs could

horsetrade for Quicktime on Solaris.

Other possibilities are rife. In Sun's case, I just don't see them wishing

to forever cede client computing to Apple/Microsoft, and Apple wanting

to surrender a lucrative server/storage market (which needs ease-of-use)

by losing a Mach-on-Intel vs. Unix-on-Intel performance derby.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Transeau

sad that it's illegal to protect your own money - but the fact is, you are not permitted to sell any stock based on information that the public has not learned about.

Yes, it's heartbreaking that an executive with inside information (that the average stock-holder doesn't have access to) isn't allowed to exploit that knowledge for personal gain.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The day steve jobs quits I'd worry... and johnathan ive too for that matter..

She probably just wanted some quiet private live. When was the last time the whole internet community reported that YOU quit your job?
  • Reply 29 of 58
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

Originally posted by palegolas

The day steve jobs quits I'd worry... and johnathan ive too for that matter..

She probably just wanted some quiet private live. When was the last time the whole internet community reported that YOU quit your job?

It could just be that she was great at running a legal department at a mid-size company, but wasn't so great at a larger company.

As companies grow as quickly as Apple, not all managers are capable of improving their managing capabilities as quickly.

Well, that's one theory, anyway. Maybe she just wants to surf all day on AppleInsider.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

It could just be that she was great at running a legal department at a mid-size company, but wasn't so great at a larger company.

As companies grow as quickly as Apple, not all managers are capable of improving their managing capabilities as quickly.

Well, that's one theory, anyway. Maybe she just wants to surf all day on AppleInsider.

My wife says that Apple's lawyers used to be pretty bad, but that they got much better in recent years.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    PTL! Thank goodness Apple Computer won!!! (although a 'moron in a hurry' would have known that already )
  • Reply 32 of 58
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Why would Apple task a CFO to head a legal department? Is

Apple legal so shallow it has no Deputy Counsel to serve

interim?
  • Reply 33 of 58
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Benton

Why would Apple task a CFO to head a legal department? Is

Apple legal so shallow it has no Deputy Counsel to serve

interim?

More likely no firm successor plan in place. You can nominate any second rank officer to take over as interim Counsel, but then if you don't make then official later, it is seen, for better or worse, as a black mark on their career.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I haven't read too many people saying that Apple should use the Linux kernel. Mostly just Torvald.

Got a source on that one?
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Quote:

My wife says that Apple's lawyers used to be pretty bad, but that they got much better in recent years.

My wife says that we're having chicken tuna casserole for dinner.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Got a source on that one?

For which part? The one about Torvald?
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:

My wife says that we're having chicken tuna casserole for dinner.

Well, at least each of our wives can do at home what they do for a living.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Quote:

Well, at least each of our wives can do at home what they do for a living.

Yeeeup! My wife's a professional organic soy casserole maker. Did you know that's Sir Steve's favorite vegetarian recipe? It gets her all kinds of inside information.

And my nephew works at the Apple store. Got to know Jonathan Ive real well.

And did you know my wife used to run a printing shop for pro photographers? We had a nice little vacation with Thomas Knoll and family last summer. We gave him the idea behind Lightroom.

That was after her job as a software developer with Linus Torvalds, with a part time job engineering Intel chips. Intel's Andy G. and her? Best buddies. It was only after her trip to Israel that Intel came up with the Merom design. Coincidence?

Yup. Some people just know everything and everybody.

Yeah, truth be told, my wife says that that Apple legal exec left because Sir Steve found out she had pictures. Pictures of things she shouldn't have had...

My nephew corroborated the story.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:

Yeeeup! My wife's a professional organic soy casserole maker. Did you know that's Sir Steve's favorite vegetarian recipe? It gets her all kinds of inside information.

And my nephew works at the Apple store. Got to know Jonathan Ive real well.

And did you know my wife used to run a printing shop for pro photographers? We had a nice little vacation with Thomas Knoll and family last summer. We gave him the idea behind Lightroom.

That was after her job as a software developer with Linus Torvalds, with a part time job engineering Intel chips. Intel's Andy G. and her? Best buddies. It was only after her trip to Israel that Intel came up with the Merom design. Coincidence?

Yup. Some people just know everything and everybody.

Yeah, truth be told, my wife says that that Apple legal exec left because Sir Steve found out she had pictures. Pictures of things she shouldn't have had...

My nephew corroborated the story.

Why are you such a child?
  • Reply 40 of 58
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

For which part? The one about Torvald?

Yeah. I've read him criticize Mach (mostly around 1996, when Mach was not even remotely associated with Apple) but never have I read anything from him that mentions Apple using Linux or anything even similar to that.

So yeah, a source would be good.