Post your 2006 ProMac mock-ups here!!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 242
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by audiopollution

If I don't see a serious attempt at a mockup by tomorrow morning, I'll be locking this thread.

• Reply 22 of 242
    Officially "Worst Mockup Ever"

• Reply 23 of 242
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It's just Dell's entry into the aerospace propulsion industry.

• Reply 24 of 242
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    It wouldn't suprise me if the New Powermac will be very similar to the current G5 design. It will have an IR port.

I really hope they keep the design very similar. I suspect the inside of the unit wont be as aesthetically pleasing but we'll soon see I suppose.
  • Reply 25 of 242
    They do all sorts of things with the standard ATX mobo, Apple could too, so the internals in a Mac Pro may yet look cool.

Here's Gigabyte's take on a "cool" ATX mobo:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2605
  • Reply 26 of 242
    nielsdnielsd Posts: 7member
    Thought I'd have a go at this.

Not to sure about it though, the idea is a bit cheap..

• Reply 27 of 242
    curmicurmi Posts: 70member
    Since the MacBook Pros looked a lot like the PowerBook G4s, I'd guess the Mac Pros will look a lot like the PowerMac G5s.

Also, since they go under your desk, I can't see an IR port on them. Nor an iSight. And it doesn't make sense to have the MagSafe connectors on a Desktop that has no battery.

So, I say Mac Pro has no change in visible design. Internal changes of course...

However, my prediction is for new displays to go with the Mac Pro - that includes IR and iSight. Price to be the same, and everyone to complain that the extra $1,000 more than the comparable Dell isn't worth it for an iSight that doesn't focus and an IR port with a remote control with only 6 buttons.

Would do a mockup, but it would look the same as current, but with a small hole at the top of the display for the iSight.
  • Reply 28 of 242
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    They have to release a slimmer body.

I think the CD/DVD drive will be vertically placed to save some width. The cooling towers for the cpus will likely be smaller than for the G5 plutonium device, saving more internal space.

Look at what they have done with the iMac. If you remove the display, it frees a lot of space even in the iMac body. Leave room for an extra HD and a second optical drive.

Of course 2-3 PC slots and of course built-in USB and FW ports galore.
  • Reply 29 of 242
    Played around with SketchUp for a little and came up with a device 4.7 inches wide, 14 inches high and 14 inches deep and thus would fit on a desk, rather than under it.

dual-core or quad core

2 optical drive bays, slot loading vertically placed on front

2 internal HD bays

3 PCI-x or whatever slots

5 cooling fans (1 on powersupply)

front ports: USB2 X 2, FW400 X 1, FW800 X 1, head phone, audio in (mic or line, menu selectable)

rear ports:

USB2 X 3 (plus 1 for the monitor)

FW800 X 2 (plus 1 FW400 for the monitor)

GB Ethernet

2 monitor uts

fiber-optic audio in/out

audio out (mini jack)

expansion bay doors X 3
  • Reply 30 of 242
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NielsD

hmmm, you have your toaster slots the wrong way, they should face up. The amount of heat that bad boy will pipe out will surely roast any media you put in the dual slots!!!
  • Reply 31 of 242
    Isn't that why they are called CD burners ?

I thought it was a half-decent looking take-off on the mini; far better than what I came up with in SketchUp... it would have air intakes underneath and vents in the back.
  • Reply 32 of 242
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    My 2¢ are that I agree that it will remain in the G5 case for now. Which I love BTW.
  • Reply 33 of 242
    Come on, we're talkin Intel machines that run Windows now.... You gotta start thinking like the "other side"

• Reply 34 of 242
    For the record, that case above is friggin hideous.
  • Reply 35 of 242
    Come on people, I wanna see MacPro mockups that have neon lights and stuff....!!! and big ass air vents...!!!
  • Reply 36 of 242

Sorry but I have to say it's ugly. Too fat, no style. But thank you for doing a mockup, this thread stays alive now that some mockups are actually being posted (otherwise the moderator threatened to lock this thread because we were all fooling around and not actually doing any mockups).
  • Reply 37 of 242
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    After sunilramans gaudy, hideous, design up there I am officially requesting a thread lock.
  • Reply 38 of 242
  • Reply 39 of 242
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Sorry but I have to say it's ugly.

I'd say it's a lot nicer than the monstrosity that you posted!

I like the white area at the bottom with the ports.
  • Reply 40 of 242
    nielsdnielsd Posts: 7member
    ha, I'm the only one so far to make a somewhat serious attempt to do a mockup, and I get burned down like this?!

Think I'm going to enjoy this forum

No seriously though, no hard feelings This was just the simpelest design I could come up with. Thought it would work, but I have to agree, it doesn't.

I might give it some more thought. At least I saved the thread for getting locked \