Apple updates MacBook Pro line with faster chips

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    the macbook pro / powerbook g4 design has been around for quite a while now. i know the macbook pro has different dimensions and they've changed the display bezel to accomodate for the camera, but essentially it's still the same case design. Now a black 15/17 inch macbook pro would be very nice... Any guesses how long it will be before the macbook pros get a new look?
  • Reply 22 of 44
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    8) Smooth moves from Apple - upped the clocking on the MacBook Pros :thumbs: Yeah the glossy screen phenomenon is weird, some people like it some hate it. So having it as an option will be interesting. Probably gotta see it in store and get a feel of whether you'll like the gloss or matte black.

Yeah now up the clocking on the iMac Core Duo!
  • Reply 23 of 44
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kritikal

so could this be the Rev B Macbook Pros??? if so, now i can finally get one.

*i promised myself i would at least wait till the 1st revisions came out

Apple is probably at Rev D or E with the Macbook Pros.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:

[i]

Yeah now up the clocking on the iMac Core Duo! [/B]

How?
  • Reply 25 of 44
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Apple is probably at Rev D or E with the Macbook Pros.

Not officially. I'm sure they've made various tweaks, but the rumors that they have moved to official revs turned out not to be true. Making small adjustments doesn't count as a rev.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

How?

I think he was hoping Apple would offer them with faster chips like the MacBook Pro, not going inside an already bought unit and change the clocking.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    time to up the Mac Mini as well ... atleast to 1.67 Ghz Core duos both ...

here wait time is 10 days ... hopefully i will touch one of the MacBooks and bring one of them to home too ...

awesome, except

1) they put atleast some model of 64MB/128MB (the feeling will be better even only few will gain the performace )

2) remove 2 x 256 and put one 512 ... so people can upgrade when they have $$$ (especially considering IG will take 64 to 80 MB RAM)

everything else is fantastic! and price too... value for money!!

wonder, when merom available, apple will use them in MacBooks as well...(may be the high end black model?) since macbook now using 1.8 and 2.0 Ghz model which comparable in price and performance with MacBook Pro models.

sunil, time to replace your iBook 800Mhz too
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

here wait time is 10 days ... hopefully i will touch one of the MacBooks and bring one of them to home too ...

awesome, except

1) they put atleast some model of 64MB/128MB (the feeling will be better even only few will gain the performace )

2) remove 2 x 256 and put one 512 ... so people can upgrade when they have $$$ (especially considering IG will take 64 to 80 MB RAM)

The mini uses a dual channel memory configuration, partly to offset the memory bandwidth used by the integrated graphics. Putting in a single memory card will probably slow it down. The mini is harder to get into now, upgrading the memory is more complicated than it was with the G4 units.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Originally posted by JeffDM

I think he was hoping Apple would offer them with faster chips like the MacBook Pro, not going inside an already bought unit and change the clocking.

Bingo. Intel iMac should be out the door as 2ghz 17" model, 2.16ghz 20" model. You know, for consistency
  • Reply 30 of 44

That would be super

sunil, time to replace your iBook 800Mhz too

hey, it's a 933mhz iBook G4 okay, with 640mb ram and 32mb dedicated vram. plus i already have 5400rpm hard drive (modded in myself) my iBook G4 will be 3 years old this November. Plus my iBook G4 probably runs Photoshop, Macromedia, and Microsoft Office faster than your MacBooks!!! muah ahhahah haha hahahah hahah hah ... Plus my screen is glare-free
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Originally posted by minderbinder

I'm sure they've made various tweaks....Making small adjustments doesn't count as a rev.

With the hardware tweaks and firmware updates, let's call them "mini-revs". Funny thing is, depending on the stock at the stores and dealers, you won't know which mini-rev MacBook Pro you'll be getting If one is serious on the MacBook Pro I'd wait about a month or two if I can so that the older "mini-revs" get cleared out of inventory and they fix things like the excessive thermal paste issue. And the whine issue. Waiting 1-2 months would give me more confidence in getting the MacBook Pro, if I needed one and I could wait.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

If one is serious on the MacBook Pro I'd wait about a month or two if I can so that the older "mini-revs" get cleared out of inventory and they fix things like the excessive thermal paste issue. And the whine issue. Waiting 1-2 months would give me more confidence in getting the MacBook Pro, if I needed one and I could wait.

If you bought one with the glossy screen option, you'd know you pretty much have the latest version. Doesn't Apple change the model number slightly with each speed bump?
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:

[i]hey, it's a 933mhz iBook G4 okay, with 640mb ram and 32mb dedicated vram. plus i already have 5400rpm hard drive (modded in myself) my iBook G4 will be 3 years old this November. Plus my iBook G4 probably runs Photoshop, Macromedia, and Microsoft Office faster than your MacBooks!!!

I heard a review where someone had one of the first 17" Powerbooks (1GHz G4) and the newest 17" MBP and with timed comparisons, he claims that even under Rosetta, pretty much everything was faster, even the Adobe apps.
  • Reply 34 of 44

If you bought one with the glossy screen option, you'd know you pretty much have the latest version.

Interesting theory... Makes sense. Do we know however if any of the "mini-revs" have fixed the thermal paste and whine issue?
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:

I heard a review where someone had one of the first 17" Powerbooks (1GHz G4) and the newest 17" MBP and with timed comparisons, he claims that even under Rosetta, pretty much everything was faster, even the Adobe apps.

I'd have to check back but that did not seem to be the case in Macworld (print) magazine.

1+ ghz PowerBooks were doing Photoshop actions twice as fast as MBPs IIRC.

Nonetheless in the MacBook Pros with 2ghz and 2.16ghz I think Rosetta is quite feasible now for Office/ Adobe/ Macromedia. Someone with a 2-3 year old PowerBook would probably find overall the new MacBook Pros quite usable for their pro work. Seems that Apple is dead set on throwing as much horsepower and sticking with Rosetta as a viable, workable, productive solution...
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:

I'd have to check back but that did not seem to be the case in Macworld (print) magazine.

Nonetheless in the MacBook Pros with 2ghz and 2.16ghz I think Rosetta is quite feasible now for Office/ Adobe/ Macromedia. Someone with a 2-3 year old PowerBook would probably find overall the new MacBook Pros quite usable for their pro work. Seems that Apple is dead set on throwing as much horsepower and sticking with Rosetta as a viable, workable, productive solution...

There are new tests by Macworld, I see they compared them against 1.67 Powerbooks and 1.42 iBooks, if you scale up the times for the slower chips, I think the claim I stated would be pretty reasonable. It seems to be a rough approximation to say that a 2.0GHz MB(P) under Rosetta would be about as fast as a 1GHz G4 with native code.

MacWorld 'Book test
  • Reply 37 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Bingo. Intel iMac should be out the door as 2ghz 17" model, 2.16ghz 20" model. You know, for consistency

It's what I'm thinking. I was surprised they didn't upgrade that too.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:

It looks, from the Macworld tests that the MB's, and MBP'd are about 55% as fast, possibly, with the fastest machine, about 60%.

Not too bad, actually. but, that is compared to a PB, and iB, which weren't exactly speed demons.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:

There are new tests by Macworld, I see they compared them against 1.67 Powerbooks and 1.42 iBooks, if you scale up the times for the slower chips, I think the claim I stated would be pretty reasonable. It seems to be a rough approximation to say that a 2.0GHz MB(P) under Rosetta would be about as fast as a 1GHz G4 with native code.

MacWorld 'Book test

They should do those tests. It would help those with older machines to make up their minds.

But, I think a lot of people concerned with speed will wait for Merom.

What we don't really know, is how Intel has measured the speed of the Merom to that of the Yonah. We can assume. They said that Merom will be 20% faster with the same power level. But, are they talking GHz to GHz, or are they assuming a 2.65GHz Merom vs a 2.33, or even a 2.16 Yonah? Or even a 2.33 Merom!

I would hope that it's even on the speed. That would give us the best hope. If a 2.16 Merom is 20% faster, then a 2.65 Merom should be even faster, by another 23%!!!

That overly optimistic hope would put Rosetta close to a par with what the fastest PB does. The iMac would be 5% or so faster still. Not too bad, really.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

They should do those tests. It would help those with older machines to make up their minds.

But, I think a lot of people concerned with speed will wait for Merom.

What we don't really know, is how Intel has measured the speed of the Merom to that of the Yonah. We can assume. They said that Merom will be 20% faster with the same power level. But, are they talking GHz to GHz, or are they assuming a 2.65GHz Merom vs a 2.33, or even a 2.16 Yonah? Or even a 2.33 Merom!

I would hope that it's even on the speed. That would give us the best hope. If a 2.16 Merom is 20% faster, then a 2.65 Merom should be even faster, by another 23%!!!

That overly optimistic hope would put Rosetta close to a par with what the fastest PB does. The iMac would be 5% or so faster still. Not too bad, really.

That would put Conroe and Woodcrest machines fairly close to G5's. Maybe the wait for CS3 won't be required after all.

EDIT: OOPS!

I hit reply instead of edit.Schub!