Apple updates MacBook Pro line with faster chips

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Cool 8) I agree with JeffDM and Melgross. Think about a 1ghz G4 though, not that blazingly fast But yeah the point is for the right people, Rosetta seems workable. I would like to think they'd be going in well informed though.

Anyone that really needs the power for Adobe/Macromedia would hang on to their PowerBooks over 1.5ghz or be working on PowerMac G5s for now.

Merom in July-Aug-Sep quarter could be the tipping point for the PowerPC holdouts, particularly with Conroe for desktop as well. That along with improvements to Rosetta by then.

Come to think of it, the boldness and audacity of Apple's Intel transition is a key milestone in the history of the company.

Anyway we'll see in July how the Apr-May-June quarter went, what with an expanded Intel Mac portfolio and perhaps new iPods on Thursday ????
  • Reply 42 of 44
    Originally posted by melgross

That would put Conroe and Woodcrest machines fairly close to G5's. Maybe the wait for CS3 won't be required after all.

Yes, Merom, Conroe and Woodcrest in the mix by the end of the year will head off waiting for CS3. The 2nd half of 2006 looks like a nice ride with the Intel transition really starting to gain momentum. Like I said, the tipping point in terms of Rosetta - 2nd half 2006.

Edit: Apple getting good profits and revenues for Jan-Mar quarter and likely Apr-June quarter means that Adobe/Macromedia users are (a)not that significant to overall Mac sales or (b)have reached an upgrade cycle where 1ghz G4 performance for Adobe/Macromedia in Rosetta is acceptable.

All the furore over CS3 AdobeMedia Integrated Super Suite really seems a bit silly now.

For me, point (a) above is most interesting. Well, anyway, time for my nap now and I've said enough already I'll shut up for now ... oh and I got to change my sig. NEW MACBOOKs YEAHHHHHHHHH !!!!1111!!!!!1111!11 w0000000ttt!!11
  • Reply 43 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Cool 8) I agree with JeffDM and Melgross. Think about a 1ghz G4 though, not that blazingly fast But yeah the point is for the right people, Rosetta seems workable. I would like to think they'd be going in well informed though.

Anyone looking to replace a one year old machine might not see a benefit with old apps, though such young machines still have plenty of life in them. The way I see it, anyone with a three year old computer upgrading to a new machine can at least use their old apps at the speed they are used to, and run updated apps much faster. They'll get a virtual hardware upgrade any time one of their old apps are updated.

Quote:

Merom in July-Aug-Sep quarter could be the tipping point for the PowerPC holdouts, particularly with Conroe for desktop as well. That along with improvements to Rosetta by then.

Come to think of it, the boldness and audacity of Apple's Intel transition is a key milestone in the history of the company.

I think it helps that they were planning on it for a long time, and with the hardware DRM they had less reason to fear going to the x86 platform.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    The iBook G4 still OWNS the MacBook / MacBook Pro in Adobe PS2 !! Hah!

Nah, seriously our discussions on speed and Rosetta and upcoming Merom and Conroe are quite on target, JeffDM and Melgross.

Just wanted to post the latest benchies for MacBook, in case people on this thread haven't seen it:

http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/firs...ench/index.php

I think we've had a good discussion on performance, rosetta, and 2nd half of 2006, etc. Cheers