What's up with the glossy Macbook screen?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Mac woman: stylish, sexy, easy-going, does fun stuff, always ready to help you out, firewire port at the back she encourages you to use

Higher initial investment but low maintenance.
  • Reply 42 of 75
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    I've been using a MB for a day now and the screen is fantastic. Better than the glossy screens which come on Dells and vastly superior than the PB 12" it replaces. It's quite amazing really: when I finished transferring all the setting from the PB, I was in disbelief at the differences in brightness and color between the two screens. They both had the same desktop picture, but the MacBook's color was bright and saturated.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

firewire port at the back she encourages you to use

all have to say to that (besides what i am writing) is "OY"
  • Reply 44 of 75
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

all have to say to that (besides what i am writing) is "OY"

Yeah, it's pretty hot.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Wow, grow up, people.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

I've been using a MB for a day now and the screen is fantastic. Better than the glossy screens which come on Dells and vastly superior than the PB 12" it replaces. It's quite amazing really: when I finished transferring all the setting from the PB, I was in disbelief at the differences in brightness and color between the two screens. They both had the same desktop picture, but the MacBook's color was bright and saturated.

I'm glad you like your MacBook screen. I just got back from the Apple Store and my first hands-on with the MacBook. I have to say that going in (I am going to order a MB Pro) I thought I would get a glossy screen. After doing various tests on the MBP and the MB in the store, I really came to dislike the glossy screen.

It is really a subjective matter I've found, so I would encourage anyone to put it through some tests first. In the apple store, at least you can pick up the laptops (err, notebooks) and tilt them around a bit to test various conditions. There was one angle I could make the MacBook screen incredible to look at. The rest of the time, I could see what was going on around me.

Conversely, I thought the matte screen of the "updated" MBP models looked superior...

Just my opinion.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I've seen a couple of other reports that the glossy screen actually makes outdoor use better, not worse (I'm guessing this is dependent on not having the sun directly over your shoulder.

The idea seem to be the the screen reflects the light hitting it, meaning less light to reduce contrast and wash out the image.
  • Reply 48 of 75
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Yeah, is she a PC or a Mac?

PC woman: complicated interface, kinda ugly, nagging messages flying at you all the time, it's not clear which buttons you're supposed to be pressing, performs dull processes, someone you just picked because everyone else had one

Mac woman: stylish, sexy, easy-going, does fun stuff, always ready to help you out, firewire port at the back she encourages you to use

Oh I can say without thought that she's a mac

Sometimes she says: "Do I look like I'm using boot camp today? Do I look like a PC?"

But you know that when they ask that you always gotta say no.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    WWDC cometh!

Apple probably didnt want a small pro notebook taking any thunder from the macbook fanfair; this is a great WWDC potential...

"well, those aer the new Mac Towers, and one more thing; you pros have been saying you love the Macbook formfactor, but need pro features; well, here it is; 13.3 inch MBP, iSight, remote thingy -- x800 or downclocked x1600 GPU, core duo, same RAM /HDD setup as the Macbooks, Macbookpro style keyboard, your choice of aluminum or Black acrylic enclosures and coice of screen...$1499...also, choice of screen accross the macBook line"
  • Reply 50 of 75
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

[B]Mac woman: stylish, sexy, easy-going, does fun stuff, always ready to help you out, firewire port at the back she encourages you to use

...and Bonjure(sp?) so she will talk to, and connect with any passer by! She could just be innocently sharing music, or maybe she is showing off photos of you...Or maybe she is sharing her widgets with someone other than you!

That Mac is a hussy I tells ya! A HUSSY!
  • Reply 51 of 75
    The glossy screen is a step up from the previous iBook screen.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    I've been using my Macbook next to a Dell notebook. The picture on the Macbook is a lot sharper. To me it looks significantly better, though it's not the sort of thing I'm going to start a holy war over.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    I love my BlackBook's glossy screen!
  • Reply 54 of 75
    tommyrtommyr Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

This seems like a step backward, why would anybody want the extra glare and distraction? Is it so it can be wiped clean more easily?

I don't get it.

Well *I* don't find it a problem at all on my 1.83 Macbook. I LOVE it!
  • Reply 55 of 75
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tommyr

Well *I* don't find it a problem at all on my 1.83 Macbook. I LOVE it!

Indeed.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    I went to the apple store today to take a look at the macbooks. Honestly, i was more intrigued by the new keyboard design rather than the glossy screen. I was talking to an employee and i asked if people have commented on the keyboard. He said no, usually people comment on the screen.

Only then did i remember that the screen was glossy. It's not that i am not observant at all, it is just that the screen is not that big of a deal.

On a side note, a cool feature (in my book) of the MacBook over the ibooks, old powerbooks, and i assume the MBP is that there are no longer rubber studs to lift the book. Now it is part of the case. I know that the rubber studs on my 12" drove me nuts.
  • Reply 57 of 75
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I thought I was going to hate the glossy screen. The thought of it almost kept me from buying a MacBook, which I got online, sight unseen. I've had it for nearly a week now. The screen is very sharp with great contrast. Since I use it at home with no lighting behind me, there's no glare. I like it a lot.

That said, if this MacBook was in my office where there is lots of overhead light, I don't think I'd like the glossy screen. I also wouldn't want a glossy Cinema Display as I'm more likely to be viewing it from various angles. (Apple, you listening? Don't even think of making the Cinemas glossy.)
  • Reply 58 of 75
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

What kind of graphics designers use a 13" widescreen laptop geared towards students?

A true graphic designer will be able to his job on a matchbox as well as on an SGI workstation, so Macbook should certainly be plenty.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

That said, if this MacBook was in my office where there is lots of overhead light, I don't think I'd like the glossy screen. I also wouldn't want a glossy Cinema Display as I'm more likely to be viewing it from various angles. (Apple, you listening? Don't even think of making the Cinemas glossy.)

Actually, I've used it all over the place (in the office, in a naturally-lit home, at night, etc.) and never really experienced this horrific glare everyone talks about. I even used it at my desk at home, and the glare from my 21-inch CRT is far and away more severe.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gloss

Actually, I've used it all over the place (in the office, in a naturally-lit home, at night, etc.) and never really experienced this horrific glare everyone talks about. I even used it at my desk at home, and the glare from my 21-inch CRT is far and away more severe.

Because it's rubish. You see it when it's off, or when you stand off to the side. Anybody who owns one knows that the screen is fanstastic and, in fact, works very well in the sunshine.