What's up with the glossy Macbook screen?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    The screen is fabulous. Any issues I had with 'glare' are moot.

I've used it for over a week now and anywhere i've used my MacBook its been the best laptop screen bar none. Its so bright and crisp it makes the old iBook (and powerbooks) look like some dim old junk. Anyone using those screens needs about 20 minutes with one of these to be sold on it.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Seems like screens could be bright with good contrast and still have an anti-reflective coating. Maybe not. I'd whine big time if my HDTV or my Cinema Display had a glossy surface.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Seems like screens could be bright with good contrast and still have an anti-reflective coating. Maybe not. I'd whine big time if my HDTV or my Cinema Display had a glossy surface.

Um...TVs generally do have a reflective surface.
  • Reply 64 of 75
    matracermatracer Posts: 91member
    Well today I did it!!

I went into an Apple Dealer and had my first look at the new macbook. They look fantastic on the Apple Site and wanted to see one in the flesh.

Oh dear...the screen..the reflections..terrible. If you use the machine at home with reasonable ambient light the screen will look amazing but get a few light sources shining above and its a pain to see through the glare. I wanted a macbook for keynote presentations to potential business clients, but with office lighting i can see it being potentially embarassing. I think students are going to find the same problem in well lit classrooms.

Also noted that the white touchpad had a nicer feel than the black one. The white had a nice texture the black one smooth (and there was a grease patch on the black).

Screen apart I would buy one tomorrow and it would be the white basic model, black looks nice but i dont think its worth the money.

Please Apple give the option of anti glare screen.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

Um...TVs generally do have a reflective surface.

Not the ones I've seen or the one I have. (Note, I said HDTV.)
  • Reply 66 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Yeah, is she a PC or a Mac?

PC woman: complicated interface, kinda ugly, nagging messages flying at you all the time, it's not clear which buttons you're supposed to be pressing, performs dull processes, someone you just picked because everyone else had one

Mac woman: stylish, sexy, easy-going, does fun stuff, always ready to help you out, firewire port at the back she encourages you to use

might have previously considered myself a "mac woman" due to preference in computers... but, hey, that works too.

i've a sexy, new, glossy (yeah, that's right) macbook pro on the way, and i cannot stop salivating.

i tortured myself, for a long time, with indecision.

to glossify or not to glossify...

in the end, i chose glossy for a few simple reasons:

-1- the colors are brighter and more crisp, clear, intense, and saturated. (no more grayed tones or muted colors!!)

-2- i, oddly enough, find that it is most effective to use my laptop in my lap or in front of me on a desk, where i am actually looking straight at it. i know... it's kind of a crazy, whacky concept (to those of you who seem to be very concerned with the reflection produced during side-viewing), but hey... it works for me. :thumbsup:

-3- i will, primarily, be using it in my home (the batcave) and in other environments where i can control the lighting.

-4- i have found several sources offering protective, non-glare films for little cost... including some non-adhesive ones that can be removed and slapped back on with no harm to the film or screen. so if glare ever presents a problem (say, in the event that i do feel the desire to take this sexy piece of machinery out, on a romantic excursion, to bask in the sun), i have the option of eliminating glare.

thus, i will be able to benefit from the advantages that both glossy and matte provide.

john siracusa and the like can masturbate their egos, by calling me an idiot, untill they chafe. :P

i am really not concerned with their opinion on the matter.
  • Reply 67 of 75
    Wow, you're the first I've heard of who has actually chosen glossy for a pro. Good for you. Enjoy.

One very good thing about Apple offering it...they should be able to gauge people's preference. This should give them direction on what to do with future MacBooks. If the choice if split pretty evenly, perhaps they'll offer both options on various models.
  • Reply 68 of 75
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Or they could spend $25 million in R&D developing a transparent substance that becomes glossy when an electric charge is run across it, and our resulting $8,000 Macbook Pros will have the best of both worlds.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    I really enjoy the glossy screen on my macbook that im using right now
  • Reply 70 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Wow, you're the first I've heard of who has actually chosen glossy for a pro.

yeah, i'm a real freak of nature.

everywhere i go, people point and stare.

Quote:

Good for you. Enjoy.

why, thank you...

i think i will.

Quote:

One very good thing about Apple offering it...they should be able to gauge people's preference. This should give them direction on what to do with future MacBooks. If the choice if split pretty evenly, perhaps they'll offer both options on various models.

hmm...maybe.

but i really think both should be available to all consumers, regardless.

i can understand why even the possibility of glare would bother those who plan to use their macbook often in an environment brightly illuminated by fluorescents or natural light. and i really cannot think of a completely justifiable reason apple could have for reserving choice for those dishing out more money for the pro - that's just wrong.

if they anticipated sells of glossy to greatly exceed those of matte, they could simply have more limited prooduction of the latter.

i am sure those who feel very strongly that they want matte, would expect there might be a waiting period (if the supply had run out}, and be relatively ok with it.

but since that is not the reality, i really think that those who are disenchanted/bothered/disgruntled by the glossy screens might find the anti-glare films to be a viable solution.

here's a few of the ones i found:

http://www.photodon.com/lcdprotect-sheet.htm

http://www.nushield.com/products.htm

http://www.navprotector.com/screen-p...p-desktop.html

or they could always tote around one of those freaky "sun hoods"
  • Reply 71 of 75
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    I bought a MacBook Friday, and returned it Sunday, after a great deal of thought. The small print, glossy screen, and brightness bothered me. I tried a number of fixes, to no avail.

Am in the market for a 12" Powerbook now.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by red0blivia

...but i really think both should be available to all consumers, regardless.

It all boils down to inventory. Apple and their resellers would have to carry twice the number of models, almost like going back to the days of colored iMacs. Maybe they could handle it but I suspect in the long run they'll decide on one or the other.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    So at first I was all about getting the matte screen for my new MBP as my wife has a MBP with a matte screen and its nice. However I just realized that my Dell XPS has a glossy screen and I love it. I rarely get a lot of glare unless I have very directional lights.

For example if I'm in a room with windows where the sun is shining in a beam of light - I get reflections. But if I'm in a room with LOTS of sunlight, then no noticeable reflections.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    danired18danired18 Posts: 47member
    i have a macbook and i love the screen.. it makes my videos and pictures even more saturated in color... it looks nicer that any matte screen apple is offering you.. it is even good outside. yes there is glare but it wont distract you..it is easy to ignore. 8)
  • Reply 75 of 75
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    I'm just going to repeat what the majority of people seem to be saying here, the glossy screen isn't bad at all. the only time i've had trouble with it is with DIRECT light, and generally that can be fixed. I'm happy with the screen.