Computer Choice for Entering College Student

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    looking at a laptop but

what about screen size compared to the ibook g4

what are the screen dimensions and area for the MB compared to the g4 ibook, and the 12 ibook. also how does it compare with the pc widescreen 14??

the MB is a great great value especially with the hard drive options and superdrive software bundle. often wonder why apple didn't go with the 14 widescreen or maybe they will later as a MBP or MB variant. i don't think ineed the 15PB and if the MB is "wide enough" i'll go with it.

has anyone compared the wifi connection and sensitivity of the MB vs the MBP vs the PB and ibook? my wife's ibook g4 is wonderful. my HP 14 is about as good as my old dell with a pcmia card (not very)
  • Reply 62 of 87
    The MacBook has a 13.3'' widescreen display ?_the 12'' and 14'' iBooks have the older style. For me, it was a jump from the 12'' iBook to the MacBook, and the MacBook is about two inches wider, which is an awful lot of screen space. The 14'' iBook is bigger but about the same width, but the MacBook is just sexier then the iBook.

WiFi? My MacBook sees more networks than my iBook did, and the connection never dropped on either of them (unless someone turned off our router).
  • Reply 63 of 87
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

A lot of your work will require solid processing, so the stronger the processor the better, but I will suggest that you invest in MS Office Academic as your core software package for college. You will be taking some humanities courses, surely, and MS Word is essential there; your handling of spreadsheets and such will be greatly assisted by Excel, while (perish the thought) PowerPoint is standard across many campuses.

I actually think I got by fine with AppleWorks.
  • Reply 64 of 87
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Splinemodel

I actually think I got by fine with AppleWorks.

*choke*
  • Reply 65 of 87
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by NOFEER

looking at a laptop but

what about screen size compared to the ibook g4

what are the screen dimensions and area for the MB compared to the g4 ibook, and the 12 ibook. also how does it compare with the pc widescreen 14??

the MB is a great great value especially with the hard drive options and superdrive software bundle. often wonder why apple didn't go with the 14 widescreen or maybe they will later as a MBP or MB variant. i don't think ineed the 15PB and if the MB is "wide enough" i'll go with it.

The 13.3" widescreen glossy MacBook I think was a precisely market-targeted laptop which offers the portability and lightness of the 12" iBook with the readability and size of the 14" screen - it's a pretty good compromise, I think.

So that's for screen size. The widescreen and glossy is more to keep up with PC laptop trends, though widescreen is nice when watching DVDs, stuff bought from the iTunes Video store, and watching widescreen trailers.
  • Reply 66 of 87
    The 15" MacBookPro is definitely more for the Pro users, because doing web design/ motion graphics/ film editing/ photography-related work is simply not practical on the 13" wide. So it works out nice for the 15" MacBookPro, and and anyway there is the 17" MacBookPro for those in film/ photography/ pro music where you've got tons of palettes and controls and also when you need to present/ discuss your work when filming/ shooting stills on-site, and lugging around a 23" cinema display is not practical.......
  • Reply 67 of 87
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

The 15" MacBookPro is definitely more for the Pro users, because doing web design/ motion graphics/ film editing/ photography-related work is simply not practical on the 13" wide.

Do note that the 13-inch MacBook has 1280x800, which is close to the resolution the late Titanium PowerBook had (1280x854). That resolution carried over all the way to the second-to-last-generation 15-inch Aluminum PowerBook; only the very last generation, which only existed for a couple of months, had 1440x960.

So, if 1280x854 was enough, I assume 1280x800 would be as well.
  • Reply 68 of 87
    Yeah, the resolution is there, but I think web designers and other print/ photo pros will find the squinting at the small screen a bit tough on the eyes All depends, but I think MacBook is definitely highly consumer oriented. MacBookPro is pro, prosumer oriented.
  • Reply 69 of 87
    Well, the MacBook has 113.5 ppi, whereas the 15-inch MacBook Pro has 110.27 ppi. So, you're right, there is slightly less squinting, but the difference is negligible and probably not even noticeable.
  • Reply 70 of 87
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Chucker

Well, the MacBook has 113.5 ppi, whereas the 15-inch MacBook Pro has 110.27 ppi. So, you're right, there is slightly less squinting, but the difference is negligible and probably not even noticeable.

Boy this is where sometimes I wonder how geekier these forums can get, then it just gets geekier. And I gotta chip in. Somedays I think I'm just dumber than a lot of y'all, even though I p*wned certain scenes at skool and uni/college back in the day. I think mostly, my brain just works differently. So thanks for putting up with me, y'all, thanks for the geek Looove pitting our brains and wit against each other. Feel the looove........ Oh, man, I miss ecstasy pills. Because now I'm going to be nasty.

<bitch mode: on>

I think I bring too much emotion to these boards. But anyway. Umm... where was I... Okay, that said, I have to be honest and say, Chucker, you're being an nitpicking a$$. Yes, good work in working out the ppi. This means, that pixels are bigger on the MacBookPro.

Now, web/ interactive designers are more likely to look at things at the pixel level, particularly when doing things like icon design and stuff. But there's also this thing in most design software called the fracking ZOOM TOOL. It's purpose, is to, ZOOM IN and make things bigger on the screen. So, 1 pixel is represented by, say, 4 or more pixels, depending on the zoom level. Hurrah....!

When I talked about squinting I was talking in general about the visual assessment of what's on the screen.

If we say that there's barely any difference in real use viewing the screen at 13" compared to a 15" screen, well, hell, Apple might as well sell everything at 13inches. Why bother with the 17"? What a waste of money coming up with that model! And, given two plasma screens of the same resolution, 32" and say 40", well, who are these idiots buying the 40" when they could get the same resolution for cheaper???!!?!? Sorry dude, why are we even discussing this.

Edit:

Some people like bigger screens, some people don't mind or like smaller screens. But I guaran-fracking-tee you that the target market for MacBookPros, for the most part, like the 15" over the 13".

</bitch mode: off>
  • Reply 71 of 87
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Amen to that. 15" screen is as low as I'd want to go, and I don't care about the extra bulk and weight it brings with it either.
  • Reply 72 of 87
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    This thread is about a college kid getting a computer... I own a 15" and an older iBook 12" and had a PB 12". Except for having large hands whichj means pain with nowhere to rest my palms, the MB is a great little machine that will more than do the trick for a college kid without the bulk of the 15. It is also a tad sturdier seeming and also has the "cute" factor that will bring the babes over (the MBP looks too pro for babes). You also have to think about where you will set the MB or MBP in class; my classes usually did not have enough space for a large computer and I find now travelling a lot that I prefer the smaller form factor of the iBook to the 15.

Save the money and use it to take a babe out on a couple of dates.
  • Reply 73 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Okay, that said, I have to be honest and say, Chucker, you're being an nitpicking a$$. Yes, good work in working out the ppi. This means, that pixels are bigger on the MacBookPro.

Yes, pixels are bigger on the MacBook Pro. No, this wouldn't actually be noticeable. No, this wouldn't make a discernible difference. That was my point. That was why I calculated ppis, because I wasn't sure how big the difference would be. It's not big.

So, you can call be a nitpicking ass, whereas I say: I took your claim and proved it wrong.
  • Reply 74 of 87
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Chucker

So, you can call be a nitpicking ass, whereas I say: I took your claim and proved it wrong.

Fair enough, because I suppose I talked about "squinting at the screen" to see all the pixels. You're still a nitpicking ass Feel free to call me something.
  • Reply 75 of 87
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Bergermeister

This thread is about a college kid getting a computer... I own a 15" and an older iBook 12" and had a PB 12". Except for having large hands whichj means pain with nowhere to rest my palms, the MB is a great little machine that will more than do the trick for a college kid without the bulk of the 15. It is also a tad sturdier seeming and also has the "cute" factor that will bring the babes over (the MBP looks too pro for babes). You also have to think about where you will set the MB or MBP in class; my classes usually did not have enough space for a large computer and I find now travelling a lot that I prefer the smaller form factor of the iBook to the 15......Save the money and use it to take a babe out on a couple of dates.

Yes, for college and the cool factor the MacBook 13" wide is more suitable. Back in '96-'99 at uni/ college I was using a laptop occassionally for lectures and labs and stuff. I think it was 14" or so. The 13" wide MacBook is perfect for popping the laptop in and out of your bag as you go to different classes, hang out at the student union cafe and all that stuff. And yes, it is "teh sexayy". Remember also being smaller and lighter you can quickly just shut the lid after taking notes when the lecture ends, throw the laptop in your bag, and walk quickly to try and chat up a girl you have your eye on. The MacBookPro is "too pro" - wait till you start working then get that, then you'll be impressing your boss, coworkers, and work chicks and their friends

Edit: I suppose for most guys and girls college is more about the fun factor (heaven forbid you think about actually learning and getting good grades ) but once you get into the work scene most women want some fun but also are scoping out how you'd stack up as a real partner, future husband.......!

Edit2: Are there ANY girls/ women at ALL on these boards? The straight-male perspective is overwhelming at times. I say this despite being, well, for the most part, a straight male.
  • Reply 76 of 87
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    can someone give me the dimensions of the 13 (height, width) compared to the 14in widescreen i see with pc's, i can measure my wifes ibook g4. i'm just concerned that the MB may not have the area that i need...thus may need the MBP 15 widescreen. i have seen a 15 widescreen, and a 14 widescreen have yet to see and handle the 13 MB i've worked with the 12 ibm x40 but is toooo small, maybe the 13 widescreen givs me more realestate.

thanks for your patience. i live 140 miles from my nearest apple store
  • Reply 77 of 87
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by NOFEER

can someone give me the dimensions of the 13 (height, width) compared to the 14in widescreen i see with pc's, i can measure my
  • Reply 78 of 87
    ppp1182ppp1182 Posts: 19member
    I just graduated and I am/was a chem major in college. I used a Dell I bought my freshman year all the way through. I can tell you all you need is itunes, email, a browser, excel, powerpoint (or apple's keynote), word, and maybe a few specific apps for you major. these will be chemdraw, mdl ISIS, matlab, or several of the protein databank programs, all of which are available in both formats and usually for free (except matlab, but that's why you make friends with the department secretary or profs).

I am now in med school and I am getting a MacBook. Think about the huge savings and you'll thank yourself later. Plus, the MB is small and light!
  • Reply 79 of 87
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpennington

Yes, along with 45,000 other student who have laptops. I actually think most of the colleges (College of Business, College of Law, etc.) require a laptop.

Most demand a windows laptop, so build Paralelles and Win XP Pro (so you can use Active Directory domain servers) into your Mac budget.

For WinXP, order 2 GB ram for your mac, or any other hardware, from a MS OEM licence seller and qualfy for a OEM copy of XP at the same time, that means <=1/2 price; also check for a Microsoft Campus Agreement and if you have one, grab XP pro upgrade for ~5 and go for home OEM for like ~$59 when you buy your ram.
  • Reply 80 of 87
    Here's a visual I came up with. While I'm more confident about the widescreen measurements, the iBook 12" and 14", though called that, may have slightly smaller screens when diagonal length is taken into account. Image Below... (Edit: Please try again later if it's not showing up)