Once you have black, you can't go back

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    My MacBook (Black) shipped yesterday (from China).
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Mine has been shipped!
  • Reply 23 of 41
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I'd get a black one, but unfortunately, being black is not enough to counter the fact it has a *glossy screen.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I'd get a black one, but unfortunately, being black is not enough to counter the fact it has a *glossy screen.

I'd be with you on that, but after a couple of days with the glossy, its not an issue. I'm not seeing any problems or heavy reflections, even though I expected it.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

The black is just not doing it for me. Not the way the pictures are presented on Apple.com.

Here's a mockup I did of a black MacBook that I *would* have liked to see.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2.../Picture-1.jpg

Just spray some cooking oil onto it.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

I'd be with you on that, but after a couple of days with the glossy, its not an issue. I'm not seeing any problems or heavy reflections, even though I expected it.

Ditto. The only time reflections have really been noticable is against a pure black background, and even then not so bad from straight-on.

The color and image sharpness, on the other hand, is absolutely superb. Looking at digital photos on my MacBook is a far happier experience than on my big oafish CRT desktop.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    nvrsaynvrnvrsaynvr Posts: 64member
    LOL!
  • Reply 28 of 41
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I have to admit... and I thought about this before I picked up my new black MacBook at the Apple store... the white versions always look clean. They don't show dust... finger prints, etc. I knew the black would show both. Unfortunately, when I got to the Apple store, I just couldn't help it and went with the black. Sure enough you see every speck of dust on the thing and you can clearly see the area of the trackpad most used as it's darker from the oils in your hand (and I'm sort of anal about my notebooks... I wash my hands everytime before I use them... my newer ones anyway). I think I may be second guessing having gotten the black. I had an iBook G4 800MHz for about two years. I recently gave it away. It looked nearly the same the day I gave it away as it did the day I got it. It's almost impossible to see little scratches and smudges on the white. I'm hoping the black holds up as well. I've got three cats and I'm already looking for paw prints on it when I get home from work. Worse yet... scratches. I keep it on a table in my living room near a window... and the cats like to use the table as a cat-a-pult to get to the window. I'm looking for something I can just lay on top of it when I'm not using it to protect it. Basically... if you're thinking about going with the black... apart from the extra cash... think about how it's going to hold up in whatever environment you'll be using it in.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Ah, you are the poster boy for the Mac fetishist
  • Reply 30 of 41
    And to think... before I got my first (and only until now) Mac about two years ago, my iBook G4 800MHz, I was one of those people who would constantly be saying "Why would you get a Mac?", "They're all over priced and you can't run 90% of the software out there.". I think I got that way mostly because my best friend was always telling how Macs are better and how wonderful they are. When confronted with that... I tend to just get annoyed. I ended up getting my iBook because there were no PC options in that size that were in that price range (most PC notebooks at that time, that were that small, were nearly twice the price). It was cheap enough for me to feel it was ok to experiment with. If I didn't like it, I could sell it for a minor loss. I've never looked back. For people that have never used a Mac... it's hard to explain. It's not the hardware, it's not the OS, it's not the integration of the two,... it's the whole experience... a combination of all those things. I use a PC all day at work and I can't wait to get home and play with my Mac.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

I'm looking for something I can just lay on top of it when I'm not using it to protect it.

• Reply 32 of 41
    LOL... well... I asked I guess! That's a bit too gay... and that's coming from someone who isn't exactly inexperienced in the occasional backside action.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    well, since you mentioned cats on macs...you might enjoy this cats love macs site...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/catslovemacs/

(amazing what comes up with google images...)
  • Reply 34 of 41
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

Hahahahahahaha.

Nice.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Originally posted by Joey

That's a bit too gay... and that's coming from someone who isn't exactly inexperienced in the occasional backside action.

Heh. Your candour is refreshing.
  • Reply 36 of 41
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Mac overheat issues = Cozy place for cute furry things
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Originally posted by gloss

...Personally, I put it [extra cash that would go to black] towards more RAM. It 2/3s paid for a new 2GB (self-installed).

Way worth it. Totallllly. 2GB is the R0XX0rs!!!111!!!1!1
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Aww...

Quote:

Way worth it. Totallllly. 2GB is the R0XX0rs!!!111!!!1!1

I concur!
  • Reply 40 of 41
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Aaaah! Claws on glossy screen! Fur on keyboard!