Macbook impressions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by atomicham

I watched the video, thank you for the link; however, I am curious as to what the warranty implications of disassembling the case are. I realize they will not warranty your new hard drive; however, by doing that, did you void your entire warranty? Maybe a question for my local Apple store?

I don't mind replacing my hard drive myself. I do mind if something happens 3 months down the road and I can't get it repaired under warranty.

I called apple twice (sometime you get different answers) and applecare is not voided if you open the machine. They said that obviously the hard drive would not be covered, but everything else still would be. Obviously if you break something while you in the computer and send it in with a new hard drive in it they will not fix it, but otherwise you are fine. Everything is still covered, I made sure of that before I did it.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I was very impressed with the specs for am fortunate enough to be within a block of an Apple Store. So after work, I have been able to play with them as much as I like. At first blush, they seem as powerful as the iMac and MBP. But I believe there is good reason they are not loaded with the pro app demo that the other machines have. The MB chokes a bit on the iMove and iDVD demo movies. In FR, one the highest res BBC HD video, while playable, is clearly choppy. The reps at the store had no explanation for this behavior. The MB had a gig of ram and nothing else was running at the time. Clearly, there is a performance differentiator that is reflected in the price. CPU is not everything so be very sure about what you need the machine to do for you before your buy. GB worked just fine. But I could not say how Logic Express would perform. No matter how it looks on paper, it is still an iBook level machine. It serves its function well enough. But no one should be swayed from buying a more powerful machine if power is what you need. The MB would make a great secondary machine.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gloss

It really is.

So is the two-finger scrolling functionality.

If you have mammoth fingers or use your member as a pointing device, does it detect it as one or two fingers?
  • Reply 24 of 61
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

If you have mammoth fingers or use your member as a pointing device, does it detect it as one or two fingers?

Three fingers silly!

That's how you invoke expose
  • Reply 25 of 61
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I could see big fingers tripping up the way the trackpad works. Your member? Same as using your pinky, I'd think.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    It can get confused if you really push your fingers down on the trackpad. All it needs is a light touch of the fingertips and it works fine.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I also read somewhere it senses the shape, not just the area to determine if it's 2 fingers or not.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    I'm on my 15" MBP right now and that option isn't there.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpennington

have you run the latest SMC firmware update from the 16th? Maybe its packaged in there.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Yes I have. Software update says everything is up to date.

I ran have the latest firmware and the lastest SMC update (a couple days ago).

Anyone have this feature on a MBP15?
  • Reply 31 of 61
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    mine just got here, oh man oh man, black is amazing
  • Reply 32 of 61
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Yes I have. Software update says everything is up to date.

I ran have the latest firmware and the lastest SMC update (a couple days ago).

Anyone have this feature on a MBP15?

I've got all the latest updates as well and it isn't available on my machine either!
  • Reply 33 of 61
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    The two-finger on trackpad equals right click was first innovated by iScroll. I have that on my 12" Powerbook. It's been out for years now: http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/
  • Reply 34 of 61
    jpenningtonjpennington Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

mine just got here, oh man oh man, black is amazing

You got your black macbook that you ordered from apples online store?

That is awesome. I ordered mine the night it was released, but it still says won't ship until the 25th. Did your order update status?

-Justin
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:

You got your black macbook that you ordered from apples online store?

That is awesome. I ordered mine the night it was released, but it still says won't ship until the 25th. Did your order update status?

-Justin

I got mine from mac mall, ordered on tuesday with two day shipping and it shipped out last night, and suprise!

Came before my 2 gig ram I ordered
  • Reply 36 of 61
    bryan.furybryan.fury Posts: 164member
    Quote:

same here
  • Reply 37 of 61
    jpenningtonjpennington Posts: 476member
    That sucks, I would have ordered mine from them if I knew that. I just assumed apple would send out to their own customers before resellers.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    as did I, but at macmall I paid no tax and will get $100 rebate, so that?s why I went with them, and it was a surprise it shipped so fast.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    well, its been a few more days and I've had some time with this thing.

Doesn't run nearly as hot as i first thought, maybe it was all the CD reads... but this isn't bad.

I'm very impressed by this keyboard, i absolutely love it now. Wireless range is fabulous. First time I've had a solid connection at my dining room table.

Battery life is surprising. I've been here almost an hour on wireless using a bluetooth mouse and wireless, and my time left on battery says 3:06. I did the drain, let it sit and fully recharge right away so maybe that helped. oops, now it says 3:08...going up?

I added 2gb of patriot ram, this thing flies. I don't plan on gaming on it so the integrated video is a no biggie. I use my gaming xp box for that. I usually keep 512mb allocated to XP in Parallels, which is fabulous to be able to switch to play online poker.

So far, its solid. I did have some initial CD eject issues but after some ins and outs it seems to have fixed itself.

love it.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Just got my macbook and it does have the two finger click option . It is so much better than a second mouse button.