Macbook impressions

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Having used it in Mac OS and XP I have to agree.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    Did anyone run FCP on the new MacBook? Im really courius to know how it will perform with this particular app.

Best...
  • Reply 43 of 61
    jpenningtonjpennington Posts: 476member
    Nope, but if you want to send me a copy I will be glad to
  • Reply 44 of 61
    I'm slowly getting used to the new keyboard and trackpad. This 'Book is awesome.
  • Reply 45 of 61
    I like the new keyboard. I'm sure most people here type ridiculously fast, so I don't I'm alone with the following problem. Do your fingers every pull up on the other keys on the MBP or powerbook? Maybe once in a couple thousand keystrokes it happens to be. It doesn't pull the key off or anything but it throws off my typing.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by >_>

17: MBP:

I just got my 15" MBP, and apparently, unlike with the 17", that "secondary click" option isn't there.

Rumor has it from someone running a beta 10.4.7 that this option is on the way, however, so that 15" MBP owners aren't left out on a nice feature that both MB non-Pro users and 17" MPB users get.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I just got my 15" MBP, and apparently, unlike with the 17", that "secondary click" option isn't there.

Rumor has it from someone running a beta 10.4.7 that this option is on the way, however, so that 15" MBP owners aren't left out on a nice feature that both MB non-Pro users and 17" MPB users get.

I think i read that it IS there, just doesn't appear if you have one of the other options selected. Try selecting 'clicking' and see if it shows up.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    This is my fourth day with the black model and it is hot? No, seriously, as has been noted above, this may be the hottest laptop on the planet; the underside of the Macbook quickly gets hot enough to fry an egg!

Given past Powerbooks, the keyboard looks unusual but the feel and usability is perfectly fine; I?ve experienced no feelings of displacement or adjustment from the moment I started touch typing.

The screen is bright! Much brighter than my black G3 laptop. (btw, what does one do with an old G3 laptop?) Screen reflection is a nonissue? but the screen does feel small; it?s wide enough but too short!

The one other complaint, I have about this consumer Powerbook (will the Macbook name really catch on?) is the puny speakers. Even at maximum output, the sound from this machine is lame. My old G3 Powerbook could sing circles around this new Mac.

I needed to buy on the spot so I had to take the stock model from the store shelf. They should ship different (obviously desirable) configurations to the Apple stores. Not everyone wants a 512k/80gig set up; if they had a 1 or 2 gig of RAM model I certainly would have bought one of those instead. I expect to upgrade the memory soon.

Critics of this machine need to remember that it is not supposed to be the Ultimate laptop. It is supposed to be an inherenlty limited consumer machine that does not compete with the Macbook Pro.

For what it is, I score this Mac 8/10.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I've been thinking about that magnetic latch and I'm kind of getting paranoid as to its data loss potential, with credit cards, other things with magnetic strips, and disks. Plus does it really stay closed? Seems like a bad idea on the face . I also wonder how the MagSafe is working out. I really have to get my ass to an Apple Store some time and kick the tires on these things!
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I've been thinking about that magnetic latch and I'm kind of getting paranoid as to its data loss potential, with credit cards, other things with magnetic strips, and disks. Plus does it really stay closed? Seems like a bad idea on the face . I also wonder how the MagSafe is working out. I really have to get my ass to an Apple Store some time and kick the tires on these things!

yes, it stays very closed. Cool idea, but i have some of the same concerns...keep wallet off macbook..
  • Reply 51 of 61
    I'm confused about the "Drag Lock" option. If I want to drag a folder, I click on it twice, right? But see, instead the folder just opens. \
  • Reply 52 of 61
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I don't have my MacBook in front of me... but I do know that you can tap twice... but keep your finger on the pad for the second tap and you can drag the window, folder, etc... around.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I went by my CompUSA today to look at the new MacBooks. The white ones were nice but the border around the screen was huge. The black MacBook was horrid looking. They don't have the color/gloss/texture right on it. Something about it. That and the fact when I first saw it I thought one of the ding bat Comp guys had stuck a HP notebook in the Mac section by accident.

I couldn't hear a processor whine either.

The screen was nice and not as bad as I thought it was going to be when I heard it was glossy.

If I hadn't purchased a MBP I would have one. Now I am just going to wait for the subnotebook.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I went by my CompUSA today to look at the new MacBooks. The white ones were nice but the border around the screen was huge. The black MacBook was horrid looking. They don't have the color/gloss/texture right on it. Something about it. That and the fact when I first saw it I thought one of the ding bat Comp guys had stuck a HP notebook in the Mac section by accident.

I couldn't hear a processor whine either.

The screen was nice and not as bad as I thought it was going to be when I heard it was glossy.

If I hadn't purchased a MBP I would have one. Now I am just going to wait for the subnotebook.

I love the black MacBook. Each of the things you don't like (color/gloss/texture)... I love. So far as the color... well... black is black. A glossy black notebook would be a nightmare (think iPod). It would show every single finger print and anything else. The white is much more forgiving when it comes to that so glossy is more suited to white. And regarding the texture... I love it... it almost feels like metal when you run your hand across it. It's smooth and has a "tough" feel to it.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

I love the black MacBook. Each of the things you don't like (color/gloss/texture)... I love. So far as the color... well... black is black. A glossy black notebook would be a nightmare (think iPod). It would show every single finger print and anything else. The white is much more forgiving when it comes to that so glossy is more suited to white. And regarding the texture... I love it... it almost feels like metal when you run your hand across it. It's smooth and has a "tough" feel to it.

*Warning* Fall out of love with the black MacBook - *Warning over*

• Reply 56 of 61
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maclayman

Did anyone run FCP on the new MacBook? Im really courius to know how it will perform with this particular app.

Best...

It's about on par with the MBP and the dual processor G5 PowerMac.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    catman4d2catman4d2 Posts: 174member
    tried one out at the St. johns center Apple store here in florida...

cant believe how thin and light it is all the pics on the web do both models no justice..... until the transition is complete and most apps are universal,and these heat problems are solved i`ll stick to my Ibook g4 maybe when its time for me to buy again the macbooks will be up to 3.0 ghz.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Catman4d2

.. until the transition is complete and most apps are universal,and these heat problems are solved ...

Except that these "heat problems" will not be solved. MacBooks are thin notebooks with fast processors. My 400 MHz Titanium G4 was and is just as hot as my 2.0 GHz MB They only difference is that the Titanium's fan is a lot louder.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    The closest apple store to me is at the st johsn town center too cool.

See my sig for my computers. My macbook is slower than the rest, I notice a difference is some applications. Filemaker, photoshop, conceptdraw, etc. All non-universal but they are still faster on the MBP.

-Justin

PS: MBP has 2 gigs and 7200 RPM where MB has 1gb and 5400rpm, that is a major difference.
  • Reply 60 of 61