Briefly: Apple iPhone; live band at 5th Ave store?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Analyst convinced iPhone in the works

After meeting with Apple Computer CFO Peter Oppenheimer and VP of Product Marketing for iPod Greg Joswiak, analysts for Bear Stearns said they are optimistic about the company's outlook for the second half of 2006 and that an iPod phone appears to be in the works.

"We came away optimistic about Apple?s outlook for 2H06 with potentially a complete refresh of the iPod, 'true' video iPod and other new product launches, though timing is hard to call," analyst Andy Neff wrote in a research note to clients. "However, 'true' video iPod (if launched) is likely to be offered as a complimentary product to iPods."

Neff also acknowledged that investors are anxious about iPod data points, which appears to be causing some weakness in Apple's share price. "We would use the near-term weakness as a buying opportunity," he wrote.

Bear Stearns maintains a Buy rating on shares of Apple with a price target of $94.

Live music performance at 5th Ave store opening?

Will Apple surprise fans who show up for the 5th Ave. flagship retail store opening with a live music performance? The editors of Curbed seem to think so.

The New York City real estate publication has published a "rumor" from an unnamed tipster who claims that Apple has requested a street (presumably 58th or 59th) in Manhattan be closed for the "performance of a major live band" this Friday evening.

Get a MacBook for only $999

Amazon.com has extended its Mac rebate promotion to Apple's new line of MacBook consumer notebooks. The online retailer is offering shoppers a $100 rebate on each of the three MacBook models.

With the added savings, the price of the 1.83GHz 13-inch MacBook drops to $999, the 2.0GHz model in white goes to $1199 and the high-end black edition comes in at $1399.

The Amazon Web site lists the white 1.83GHz MacBook as being in stock and ready to ship.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    <snip>

"...performance of a major live band" this Friday evening."

<snip>

Would that be... The Red Hot Chili Peppers? 8)

<snip>

Amazon.com has extended its Mac rebate promotion to Apple's new line of MacBook consumer notebooks. The online retailer is offering shoppers a $100 rebate on each of the three MacBook models.

With the added savings, the price of the 1.83GHz 13-inch MacBook drops to $999, the 2.0GHz model in white goes to $1199 and the high-end black edition comes in at $1399.

<snip>

Now that's an attractive price...
  • Reply 2 of 23
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Bear Stearns maintains a Buy rating on shares of Apple with a price target of $74.

The price target is actually $94, according to Forbes.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    "Would that be... The Red Hot Chili Peppers?"

Nope! That would be U2. You heard it here first, from good old Cubert!

(No insider knowledge; just predicting)
  • Reply 4 of 23
    "Reader convinced Analysts are mentally deficient."

I'm not sure that's news but I thought the world should know.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

"However, 'true' video iPod (if launched) is likely to be offered as a complimentary product to iPods."

A separate 5" screen that plugs into the dock connector? Would this screen perhaps have extra battery weight that you'd only have to carry around when you want to watch video? Doesn't sound too sleek.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 23
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    We want Chili Willie!

We want Chili Willie!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

A separate 5" screen that plugs into the dock connector? Would this screen perhaps have extra battery weight that you'd only have to carry around when you want to watch video? Doesn't sound too sleek.

--B

I don't think that's what they mean.

I took that to mean that it's an additional iPod product to be added to the iPod family. So we'll have three iPods.

iPod nano

iPod

Front Row iPod .... iPod Front Row .... iPod Cinema .... iPod Video? (some really cool name)
  • Reply 8 of 23
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    $999 for a base model MacBook?! Holy crap that tempting!
  • Reply 9 of 23
    "Nope! That would be U2. You heard it here first, from good old Cubert!"

U2 crossed my mind, too...several months ago, wasn't there a rumor about a special edition red iPod in the works with the profits going to Bono's Product Red AIDS fund?

Ah yes, here's the story I was thinking of:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1506
  • Reply 10 of 23
    the pie manthe pie man Posts: 425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac_Doll

$999 for a base model MacBook?! Holy crap that tempting!

Anyone actually see them in stock? I went to order and they're showing July 17th for the date. I really want to cancel my order with Apple and get this rebate (also no tax and better shipping options). I could save nearly $200 by doing this, but I need the machine soon and don't want to cancel my Apple order if it's going to be more than a couple weeks...
  • Reply 11 of 23
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

"However, 'true' video iPod (if launched) is likely to be offered as a complimentary product to iPods."

So, like, "Hey iPod, you're looking GOOD today! Like that dock connector!"

or...

"Yo, iPod, have you lost weight?"

Then again, if it was complEmentary, it might be the correct word usage.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    dh87dh87 Posts: 73member
    I thought that the plain reading of this meant that each iPod buyer would receive a complimentary vPod. I am very disappointed.

What I can imagine is that the standard-sized iPod would be no more. A hard drive-based, mini-sized iPod would be sufficient for music, while for video a somewhat larger vPod would be made.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Live music performance at 5th Ave store opening?

Will Apple surprise fans who show up for the 5th Ave. flagship retail store opening with a live music performance? The editors of Curbed seem to think so.

The New York City real estate publication has published a "rumor" from an unnamed tipster who claims that Apple has requested a street (presumably 58th or 59th) in Manhattan be closed for the "performance of a major live band" this Friday evening.

Take a look at Depeche Mode's tour schedule? Hmm, what's in between Toronto and Atlantic City on that oddly unscheduled Friday night?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    I think it will be Ringo Star and Paul McCartney and a Liveband with Drums and sticks. They will sing 'let it be'.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

--B

Make up an idea completely unrelated to anything and then say it's not a good idea.

Brilliant!

You should be a politician.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    the article says the analysts said ... that an iPod phone appears to be in the works.

i'd be interested in seeing the direct quote of what the analysts said about the iPod phone, how they said it. can you provide that info?

thanks

terry
  • Reply 17 of 23
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JiveTurkey

Take a look at Depeche Mode's tour schedule? Hmm, what's in between Toronto and Atlantic City on that oddly unscheduled Friday night?

No that's drug and dresses night.

(I worked for them 22 years ago )
  • Reply 18 of 23
    lhvidelhvide Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

No that's drug and dresses night.

(I worked for them 22 years ago )

drug & dresses night? you can't just throw out a statement like that without an explanation of what it is....
  • Reply 19 of 23
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    Oh God... if it's Depeche Mode.. I'd be tickled pink!! Been a fan since I was six.. not joking. And vinney, I doubt they do the drugs anymore.

I'm really debating whether I should get a MacBook now or wait a while. \
  • Reply 20 of 23
    i hate online and mail in rebates.

instant rebates on the other hand...