To Spank or not to Spank

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Hey! I'm talking about children here.. clean up your minds.

As a father of a two year old I am often faced with the question of whether to spank our child or not. Most of the time we don't... but I'll admit there have been a few times when a swat on the butt made all the difference.

In addition, if my son does something that could be very dangerous.. for example playing with an electrical cord, I have slapped his hand.

I think the key is... don't ever do it when you are angry.

What are your thoughts. Please include whether you are a parent or not in your answer.... I've found that many opinions I have had have changed now that I am a parent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Never threaten then not follow through: I think a lot of abuse involving spanking comes from threatening again, and again, and again, until everyone (child and adult) are past reason --- the parent lets the child drive them berserk, and then acts out of rage. If it's more matter-of-fact -- I hate to say "routine" -- it's probably a better thing.

Just don't forget that all kids are different -- some won't press the issue, but then others have definite designs on world domination before they reach 1st grade, and need the parent-child lines of communication cleared from time-to-time.
  • Reply 2 of 112
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I have never spanked my kids, but then I only have girls so the behaviour problems are kind of limited.

For the young ones (5 years or less) I make them sit on the floor until they can tell me what they did wrong. Timeouts and loss of permissions handles the older ones.
  • Reply 3 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

[i]Just don't forget that all kids are different -- some won't press the issue, but then others have definite designs on world domination before they reach 1st grade, and need the parent-child lines of communication cleared from time-to-time.

I agree.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    *pinch* Tsst!

That's what you need to do.
  • Reply 5 of 112
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

but then I only have girls so the behaviour problems are kind of limited.

Enjoy life while you can. I have 2 brothers and my Uncle has 3 daughters. We often compare our two families to see which is more stressful. Girls may be mild when young, but in our family, well... hehe buckle up! 8)
  • Reply 6 of 112
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    I'm guilty; I figured you were looking for sex advice.

Yep, never underestimate us girls. We're not like boys, we like to manipulate. 8)

I was spanked as a child, and I have to say, I stayed out of trouble often, because I knew what I would get later. I think consistency is key. And please, never be afraid of telling them "No." Overindulgent children seem to be a big problem these days. Remember, you're the one in charge, not them.

I'm not even a mother.. figure that one out. \
  • Reply 7 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Enjoy life while you can. I have 2 brothers and my Uncle has 3 daughters. We often compare our two families to see which is more stressful. Girls may be mild when young, but in our family, well... hehe buckle up! 8)

I have just graduated my 2nd 18 year old girl - it is easier once you go through it once. The danger period is 14-17, when their body is maturing faster than their judgement, after that you are smooth sailing.
  • Reply 8 of 112
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    There are certainly some kids that benefit from getting spanked. I guess you have to wait and find out, but if your kid is a brat, then you'll do worse for yourself, everyone else, and for the kid if you don't spank. In these cases it is inconsiderate not to spank.

If the kid is borderline incorrigible, the way I was, it also doesn't hurt to yell at him while taking off your belt -- threatening a whipping. I was never actually hit with a belt, but, wow, I remember it being a sobering gesture.
  • Reply 9 of 112
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Your child's behavior during childhood has little to no bearing on the rest of their life, so might as well not make it a painful one.
  • Reply 10 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Your child's behavior during childhood has little to no bearing on the rest of their life, so might as well not make it a painful one.

I definitely disagree with this. Brat kids grow up to be antisocial adults.
  • Reply 11 of 112
    untsiguntsig Posts: 47member
    im not a parent but i have plenty of experience on this subject

let me tell you one thing, i love my father with all my heart and respect the hell out of him. but because i grew up my entire life being flat out AFRAID of my dad and the sound of his big belt buckle, i cant hardly show my dad how i feel about him.

i can see it just tears him apart to know that he used to just beat the shit out of us. the first time i EVER saw my dad cry was after a 14 day backpacking/camping trip to Philmont. he was so happy he got to share such an awesome experience with me and i could see how proud he had become of me but it was so incredibly awkward. i learned to respect him and fear him but my love for him wasnt until later in life.

hopefully you understand what im trying to say.

my dad beat us cause that's the only thing he knew (his dad beat him, his sisters and his mom. and my dad hasnt talked to his father in over 20 years b/c of it)

i think my dad finally realized that he had been the father that he grew up hating and still feels bad about it.

in my mind i've forgiven my dad but i have yet to be able to tell him that.

voilence in youth is NOT GOOD.

that being said, i think SPANKING is a must. BUT there is a huge difference bewteen SPANKING and BEATING your child.

i look back and can remember that i was a punk ass of a kid at times and did really stupid stuff that was unneccessary. so i can see that many times i should have been spanked, disciplined, sent to my room to cool down, etc.

but transferring your anger into violence to a child will solve absolutely nothing and just RUIN your relationship w/ your family.

oddly enough, its even made my relationship w/ my sister weird. i've had nightmares of my sis dying and woken up crying and scared sh!tless that it might one day happen. and all i felt like doing was calling my sis and saying "i love you" but to this day i still cant muster up those three words for some reason. being overly disciplened as children didnt seem to affect anything except our emotions and relationships w/ each other.

so, in conclusion (lol), use mild physical discipline tactics WHENEVER necessary. but NEVER cross the line into abuse. NEVER take your anger out on them. WALK AWAY if you get heated. let your wife step in if necessary. teach them to respect you b/c you are their father not because you are stronger and bigger than them. teach them to respect your wife even more than they should respect you. i never treated my mom with enough respect or compassion.

im sure most of this is obvious but to some parents its not. my whole family's emotional structure (or lack there of) is completely f-ed b/c my parents went beyond "spanking".
  • Reply 12 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

I definitely disagree with this. Brat kids grow up to be antisocial adults.

That's idiotic. You can choose to be whatever you want to.

Plus, a child should know why somethig is wrong and that should deter him, not that doing so causes pain. That's the parent instilling an animal-like fear into their child.
  • Reply 13 of 112
    untsiguntsig Posts: 47member
    Quote:

very true.
  • Reply 14 of 112
    Quote:

Plus, a whild should know why somethig is wrong and that should deter him, not that doing so causes pain. That's the parent instilling an animal-like fear into their child.

I'm not suggesting physical punishment, but if you don't put some limits on your child's behaviour, he/she will grow up to be a monster. I have seen it over and over - sure, if you are thinking rationally then you can choose your life, but people with no childhood limits do not think rationally.
  • Reply 15 of 112
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    placebo, you have to make the chid discipline h[er]imself -- at an early age handslapping/paddling will make the child stop and think [in most cases] were they otherwise wouldn't.

Yes, the penalty will give them pause to consider how they are going to choose to behave. That's all paddling is, you don't want to spend 16 years of your life per child controlling their every move -- you have to set limits, but allow choices within those limits, and enforce the rules when they are broken.
  • Reply 16 of 112
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    Spanking in moderation is good and I will spank my kids when I have them.
  • Reply 17 of 112
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    A good theory is spank in leu of greater pain/harm; that is, if they are about to touch a hot oven that you have told them not to, spank them before they touch it, make them associate pain with the action, but dont let them get hurt.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Parents who don't spank their kids are raising brats. Just talking never gets anything accommplished. You have to be physical or you're not going to make your point as a parent.

But the problem I found is that a simple swat on the butt doesn't have any effect either. That's really no more meaningful than a stern talkng-to or a time-out.

So now I use cigarette burns on their underarms. It's not debilitating in any way, it just teaches them morals. Parents need to really take charge, and this squeamishness about using real punishment shows in this politically-correct "spanking" that do-gooder parents use. They're raising kids who think they can get away with anything.
  • Reply 19 of 112
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

So now I use cigarette burns on their underarms. It's not debilitating in any way, it just teaches them morals.

Well why don't I just give you my parent's thumb screws while I'm at it. What is the forwarding address again? I'll bring them by personally along with my size 13 boots.

• Reply 20 of 112
    My god, I'm loving the Adsense banners at the top of this thread.

Also, why spanking? That seems kind of perverted when you think about it. Pull a hair out or something.