Boot camp vs parallels

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 49
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    have you tried it? and to save the cost of parallels making a cd for me, couldn't i download then copy to a cd myself, or do you think have some "code" or drm that would prevent this they charge $13 for the cd version (wow!!!) and do you think that for two macintels (i'm going to splurge) that one copy would do. what about loading it to my firewire drive and accessing it from there??
  • Reply 22 of 49
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    I posted this in another area--I have Windows in Boot Camp--I just installed GA Parallels--what do I do with Boot Camp/Windows?
  • Reply 23 of 49
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by NOFEER

    apple should buy parallels



    NOOOOO -- 2 huge reasons:



    1: Paralells is windows and linux friendly too and thus compeating with VMware, but for much less, of course this will not hit the ESX type VMWare market, but it will beat the shit out of MS VPC 2004 in Windows...and it can use linux as the host OS too...



    2: Apple needs 3rd party developers to puch innovation in OSX...look at tools like Dashboard and spotlight...inspiered by 3rd parties that were widly popular throughout the platform.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    of those who use parallels how much ram is needed? running both osx and parallels what would it take. i know it also depends on what programs you are running in both but i'm trying to get the minimum , and then the reasonable amount needed./ basically will 1gb work or do you need 1.5 (mbp has 512 1 dimm then i could buy 1gb stick for 85 or less) apple want OMG 500 for 2gb, shish
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:

    Originally posted by a_greer

    NOOOOO -- 2 huge reasons:



    1: Paralells is windows and linux friendly too and thus compeating with VMware, but for much less, of course this will not hit the ESX type VMWare market, but it will beat the shit out of MS VPC 2004 in Windows...and it can use linux as the host OS too...



    2: Apple needs 3rd party developers to puch innovation in OSX...look at tools like Dashboard and spotlight...inspiered by 3rd parties that were widly popular throughout the platform.




    well, it seems that Apple is already endorsing Parallels. I mean, why not just say that a download of Boot Camp is required?





  • Reply 26 of 49
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    ....because maybe they won't need to support Bootcamp????
  • Reply 27 of 49
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sammick

    ....because maybe they won't need to support Bootcamp????



    damn skippy, and paralells is already far and away better than bootcamp: Methinks bootcamp was just a proof of concept to stir up the after market: Apple does not want to get into the wasps nest of Windows suport within virtual boxen...Virtualization isnt, has never been, and for the forseeable future doesnt need to be handled by Apple because it isnt a core competency...let Paralells and VMWare handle that; same philosiphy they used with VPC in the old days; let someone else handle that.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    I think that ad is as close as we'll come to Apple officially supporting Parallels. Apples knows Parallels is good for their sales: if people have the ability to run Windows on macs, more people will buy macs for the superior hardware. but I doubt they will "buy out" Parallels. i don't think apple would be too interested in that.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Everyone misses the key selling point of Parelells to apple;



    It keeps eyes in OSX; you may be using windows, but unlike bootcamp you arent rebooting into windows; so you can easily do browsing, mail, music, design...in OSX and still have quick access to that propriatery active-x database interface that happens to be "mission critical" to your job...
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Greer, you make a very valid point. I bet Apple does have some interest in Parallels...I wonder if we'll see Desktop bundled w/ every intel-mac in the future.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by a_greer

    Everyone misses the key selling point of Parelells to apple;



    It keeps eyes in OSX; you may be using windows, but unlike bootcamp you arent rebooting into windows; so you can easily do browsing, mail, music, design...in OSX and still have quick access to that propriatery active-x database interface that happens to be "mission critical" to your job...




    What Parallels REALLY means to Apple.... One less thing Microsoft can hold over Apples head... Some time in 2008 Microsoft Announces VirtualPC for Intel based Mac's - a collective yawn is heard...



    MS has been pulling this "we just don't know how long it might take for us to get an Intel native version of VirtualPC out" crap... Now with Parallels and eventually VMware it just doesn't matter... It just doesn't matter... It just doesn't matter.... (slap)



    Wow think I just had a Meatballs flashback.



    Dave
  • Reply 32 of 49
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    ok now for some practical stuff

    airport--ibook--mbp--parallels.

    as far as your airport password, when you switch back and forth from osx and windows do you have to have the code put in under osx AND in windows??
  • Reply 33 of 49
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    The network adapter in Parallels is emulated, so as long as you have a functional Airport/Ethernet/Whatever in MacOS, it'll come up as a plain old 10/100 ethernet connection in Windows.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Can I use Parallels to:



    1. Run basic apps in Windows XP (ie microsoft office)

    2. Run basic apps in Windows 2000

    3. VPN to my office computer using PC Anywhere

    4. Synchronize with Outlook and then somehow synchronize again with OSX applications, calendar, contacts etc..,

    5. create a document in windows and then "drag and drop" it into OSX?



    My last experience with emulation software was virtual pc which worked absolutely perfectly, until you actually tried to use it for something...anything...and then...well...not so good...
  • Reply 35 of 49
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AugustWest

    Can I use Parallels to:



    1. Run basic apps in Windows XP (ie microsoft office)

    2. Run basic apps in Windows 2000

    3. VPN to my office computer using PC Anywhere



    Yes.



    Quote:

    4. Synchronize with Outlook and then somehow synchronize again with OSX applications, calendar, contacts etc..,



    Too vague; specify.



    Quote:

    5. create a document in windows and then "drag and drop" it into OSX?



    You can use Windows file sharing for this. It's fairly straightforward and works on both sides, from Finder as well as Explorer.



    Quote:

    My last experience with emulation software was virtual pc which worked absolutely perfectly, until you actually tried to use it for something...anything...and then...well...not so good...



    Parallels doesn't quite have the polish interface-wise.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AugustWest



    My last experience with emulation software was virtual pc which worked absolutely perfectly, until you actually tried to use it for something...anything...and then...well...not so good... [/B]



    The reason Parallels allows you to do so much more then virtual PC did (at much greater speeds) is because Parallels isn't an emulation solution as VPC was, it's virtualization.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Yes but some things work with Boot Camp and not with Parallels, for instance, my serial to USB adapter will not run with Parallels



    The only thing I need a serial port for is to prgram my Universal Remote but still........



    It is a pain to reboot though



    I much prefer parallels using both Boot Camp and Parallels
  • Reply 38 of 49
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    My guess is that Parallels will continue to get better and that Apple will drop Boot Camp
  • Reply 39 of 49
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sammick

    My guess is that Parallels will continue to get better and that Apple will drop Boot Camp



    As someone who would like to take advantage of the graphics card in another OS, I sincerely hope not.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sammick

    My guess is that Parallels will continue to get better and that Apple will drop Boot Camp



    Doubtful. What motivation do they have?
Sign In or Register to comment.