Apple developing new Mac for education

Comments

• Reply 61 of 102
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xjpx

students can save work on a server or flash drive (or iPod).

Good point. And a good reason, I believe, that Apple needs to put a USB port and Firewire port on the front of the computer. I can't imagine that looking aesthetically good-looking on an iMac, however, it may not be an iMac that we're talking about here.
  • Reply 62 of 102
    xjpxxjpx Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Good point. And a good reason, I believe, that Apple needs to put a USB port and Firewire port on the front of the computer. I can't imagine that looking aesthetically good-looking on an iMac, however, it may not be an iMac that we're talking about here.

true true. maybe ports on the side?

one of the iMacs i mentioned is in a situation where people often need to get access to the USB/firewire ports and the audio jacks. it's a pain to spin it around or reach over all the time.
  • Reply 63 of 102
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

The other thing I think that Apple will come up with is a new way to monitor what the students are actually doing with their machines (if there isn't a way to do this already; I know there is on PC).

Apple Remote Desktop?
  • Reply 64 of 102
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

You know with kids nowadays and their bling bling and getting jiggy wit it and get rich or die tryin and stuff. We gotta communicate on their level. Mockup shown is front view, at the back is strong stable aluminium stand to stabilise the main iMac-like unit. Presenting, the Mac.E

Hilarious. You don't suppose they'll create a signature "50 Cent" edition... for $599.50?
  • Reply 65 of 102
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Folks you don't want to drop wireless. Schools do set up adhoc networks using wireless technology.

BT isn't really required but chances are AP and BT are all on the same card.
  • Reply 66 of 102
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

You don't take away current features away to add more power, you take the current features and add more power.

You mean like the loss of the Firewire 800 ports and the loss of dual layer writing on the MacBook Pro 15" vs. the Powerbook it replaced? Or the loss of a dedicated graphics chip on the low end products?
  • Reply 67 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

$599 - Mac Mini

$799 - Mac Mini

$999 - 15" or 17" iMac Mini /eMac

$1099 - 15" or 17" iMac Mini /eMac

$1299 - 19" iMac

$1699 - 21" iMac

$1999 - 24" iMac

purely speculating on price points to cover the entire line

not sure how many pixels go into these displays

Tossing out the 17" and 20" screen sizes means changing the parts, the current iMac enclosure is barely six months old.

Apple likes to stick as close to 100dpi as possible for desktop displays, and I think many of those screens you suggest are outside of that.
  • Reply 68 of 102
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

The little nodes on the side make it look like Frankenstein.

Frankenstein was the name of the Doctor not the monster.

The monster was never given a name by shelly, it was always refered to monster or creature or fiend
  • Reply 69 of 102
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xUKHCx

Frankenstein was the name of the Doctor not the monster.

Yeah...but americans kinda twisted the names around.
  • Reply 70 of 102
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

750 for a Dell... how much is then spent on software that already comes on a Mac (movie making, homepage making, etc.) and other apps that are are similar to use, thus saving many hours of time, which will likely save more money in the long run.

Probably damn little. Dell will bundle all that in an offer. Remember the dell box will have a pent d or a celeron both of which are cheaper than ICD.
  • Reply 71 of 102
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    In response to Kolchak:

I said "mean video only"; there are many, many good potential uses for a superdrive in schools and I do not think it should be cut. Of course, if all schools have high speed net connections, then videos could be posted, but there is still the potential use of the superdrive.

If properly integrated into the lesson, movies (whether film or iMovie) can be highly educational, more so than just a text and babbling teacher. A ten minute clip showing Hitler, with his voice and antics, will portray more about him than many pages of text. Similarly, a video about how to ride a bike is more instructive than a print, as the viewer can see and imagine the difficulty in keeping balance and thus better prepare forit (just an example)(better of course would be to have a bike in class in this case). Movies should not become the sole learning medium.

In response to mynamehere:

Can the Apple Remote Desktop view 50 computers at once? I am completely unfamiliar with it.

In response to xUKHCx:

I should have said "the monster in Frankenstein"; my error.
  • Reply 72 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Probably damn little. Dell will bundle all that in an offer. Remember the dell box will have a pent d or a celeron both of which are cheaper than ICD.

But what about the time spent having to learn the various apps which are likely made by different companies? What about the time lost trying to teach the different apps? What about the time lost using the different apps? Schools are pushed for time.
  • Reply 73 of 102
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

In response to Kolchak:

I said "mean video only"; there are many, many good potential uses for a superdrive in schools and I do not think it should be cut. Of course, if all schools have high speed net connections, then videos could be posted, but there is still the potential use of the superdrive.

If properly integrated into the lesson, movies (whether film or iMovie) can be highly educational, more so than just a text and babbling teacher. A ten minute clip showing Hitler, with his voice and antics, will portray more about him than many pages of text. Similarly, a video about how to ride a bike is more instructive than a print, as the viewer can see and imagine the difficulty in keeping balance and thus better prepare forit (just an example)(better of course would be to have a bike in class in this case). Movies should not become the sole learning medium.

Again, why would any of this require a Superdrive? The only time you would really need a Superdrive is if you are creating video DVDs to take home to play on a standalone DVD player. Nothing you present above makes the case for needing a Superdrive. High resolution feature-length films can fit on a CD using MPEG4, which Quicktime can export without needing additional software, and the vast majority of students who aren't film majors will not be making 2-hour iMovies anyway. Ten minute clip? That would take less than 50MB in MPEG4, 370MB in 720x480 MPEG2, even smaller if you won't be playing it back fullscreen, hardly a reason to require a 4.4GB DVD-R. Besides, nobody's going to watch 10 minutes of Hitler. A few seconds is enough to see his mannerisms and 99.999999% of American kids won't understand a single word he's saying anyway. I sure wouldn't sit through 10 minutes of a certifiable lunatic babbling in a strange language.
  • Reply 74 of 102
    Quote:

But what about the time spent having to learn the various apps which are likely made by different companies? What about the time lost trying to teach the different apps? What about the time lost using the different apps? Schools are pushed for time.

Pinnacle Studio 9 isn't very hard to learn or use and is more powerful than iMovie.
  • Reply 75 of 102
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Hilarious. You don't suppose they'll create a signature "50 Cent" edition... for $599.50?

Hey that's a great idea. Every 50th "Mac.E 50cent edition" the school buys will actually cost only 50cents. Now that's real marketing to the school and the students...!!!
  • Reply 76 of 102
    (mockup removed, see post further down...)
  • Reply 77 of 102
    (double post, ignore)
  • Reply 78 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Pinnacle Studio 9 isn't very hard to learn or use and is more powerful than iMovie.

Had a quick peek... looks interesting. I confess I spent a bit aof money adding plugins to make iMove a real nice program.

I was also suggesting the other apps: iPhoto, Keyonote, Pages, etc., which all share very similar interfaces and some of the same interfaces (for photo editing, for example) as well as very quickly and easily sharing elements.

Then there is the problem solving step: any problems with your Mac, a single phone call can solve it all.
  • Reply 79 of 102
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

At the end of the day many people only see the number on the check when making the final decision. Otherwise everyone would be using Macs.
  • Reply 80 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

What is that computer supposed to look like? It's hard to picture how that works and how it looks from a different angle.