Apple developing new Mac for education

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    A number on a check... Sad, really, when you consider that it is an investment in the future of the world. A couple of hundred dollars spread over a couple of years for the use of a couple hundred kids comes out to almost nothing, but the return on the investment could be priceless.
  • Reply 82 of 102
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Here's a better view to get a sense of it: Actually, thanks to your suggestion this is a better product shot, althogh I didn't have time to refine it fully. Based of the Emac style but thinner, blinged out faceplates, sleeker. Mouse obviously included, but not shown. Should have good weighting in the design for the base to have a nice stable computer that's hard to knock over/ knock around.

Mac.E 50cent edition shown:

• Reply 83 of 102
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Mac.E : Mac for Education. Better product view now:

• Reply 84 of 102
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

You really love to have different screensizes than Apple offers already, don't you

I think 19" and 21" not gonna happen.

It makes shooding an iMac more confussion and less than 10% screensize difference is not very cost efficient either. (economie of scale)

They'll stick to the current offering of 17" and 20" and add a 23"iMac or as you wish a Dellish 24" size.

Maybe ditch the 17" iMac in a year or 2.

agree, two inches to difference to space out the iMac line

1) every inch hides the chin and possible more resolution if the display are cheaper (something like 15 & 17 macbook pro resolution)

2) it gives difference between the iMac even though the screen resolution may be same ...
  • Reply 85 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Tossing out the 17" and 20" screen sizes means changing the parts, the current iMac enclosure is barely six months old.

Apple likes to stick as close to 100dpi as possible for desktop displays, and I think many of those screens you suggest are outside of that.

how abt bumping the resolution like MacBook Pros, otherwise 15" will be struck with 1024 x 768, APPLE needs to use 17"
  • Reply 86 of 102
    $599 - Mac Mini

$799 - Mac Mini

$999 - 15" iMac Mini /eMac

$1099 - 17" iMac Mini /eMac

$1299 - 17" iMac - better specs

$1699 - 20" iMac

$1999 - 23" iMac

this looks very odd, four different screen sizes
  • Reply 87 of 102
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

In response to mynamehere:

Can the Apple Remote Desktop view 50 computers at once? I am completely unfamiliar with it.

I believe so:

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/r...ssistance.html
  • Reply 88 of 102
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Thanks for the link. Looks nice. Wasn't it just recently updated? They must be getting ready for an academic push.

Back to the EduMac. I think the current iMac foot is good as is; they just need to put a couple of holes in it so it can be secured to a table. Or sell a plate to cover it to achieve the same. Then it won't tip, fly away or get carried away with (by)anything except what it is processing.
  • Reply 89 of 102
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Make it look just like the iMac, but in a 15" configuration and it'll be good.
  • Reply 90 of 102
    valanvalan Posts: 5member
    MacBook casing but...

iBook screen

No need for a CD drive in class. Network them up to the teachers MacBookPro.

No need for Firewire.

No need for Ethernet

No need for a big HD. Use flash 16GB HD.
  • Reply 91 of 102
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Quote:

Originally posted by valan

Yes - because that's going to cost more than the rest of the computer!
  • Reply 92 of 102
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by valan

MacBook casing but...

iBook screen

No need for a CD drive in class. Network them up to the teachers MacBookPro.

No need for Firewire.

No need for Ethernet

What network do you suggest if you take out the ethernet? A couple dozen students hitting the wireless for networked storage at the same time doesn't sound efficient.

I too am wondering where you got the idea that a 16GB flash hard drive is affordable. I think you can get four 750GB hard drives for the price of one 16GB flash device.
  • Reply 93 of 102
    fabsgwufabsgwu Posts: 78member
    Quote:

The glass cover's reason is obvious: younger kids love to poke at screens, and that would be an accident waiting to happen with an LCD.

So do my friends and co-workers, strange
  • Reply 94 of 102
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    A new eMac would be remarkably simple to do. Take one integrated Intel Mobo, and drop it into a 17" iMac case with smaller HDD, less RAM, no iSight, a combo drive. Leave the integrated I/O alone, since this is now a part of even the most affordable Intel designs, price it at 699 in VOLUME, to edu buyers exclusively, and call it a day. No special work is required.

As for the 17" iMac. It's time for that puppy to hit 999. It's a very nice design, but the standard RAM/storage/screen allotments don't warrant the price. With 1GB of RAM, and a 250-300GB HDD, maybe, but not as configured.
  • Reply 95 of 102
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

A new eMac would be remarkably simple to do. Take one integrated Intel Mobo, and drop it into a 17" iMac case with smaller HDD, less RAM, no iSight, a combo drive. Leave the integrated I/O alone, since this is now a part of even the most affordable Intel designs, price it at 699 in VOLUME, to edu buyers exclusively, and call it a day. No special work is required.

As for the 17" iMac. It's time for that puppy to hit 999. It's a very nice design, but the standard RAM/storage/screen allotments don't warrant the price. With 1GB of RAM, and a 250-300GB HDD, maybe, but not as configured.

Problem is that the ICD is over $200. ICS probably is as well. If Apple would use some Intel discount chips then it would be a differnt story.
  • Reply 96 of 102
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    how about a completely new iMac / Pro and push the current iMac model down to EDU?
  • Reply 97 of 102
    darth_appledarth_apple Posts: 199member
    Well if "Apple" has been working hard on this, then the NECC 2006 event in San Diego from July 4th to the 7th would be a great time to preview this new Mac... err I mean updated Mac.

Official site of the event

http://center.uoregon.edu/ISTE/NECC2006/

Page showing Apple as a exhibitor (scroll a bit down)

http://center.uoregon.edu/ISTE/NECC2...alpha_list.php

That or I hope Apple shows some neat stuff they have up there sleeves, for the Education market of course... for everything else we have to wait 1 more month!!

Either way I hope Apple makes a good impression, especially if they want to retain there market share in the Education market!

(And before anyone corrects me I know they don't *have* to but it won't hurt either )

oh and one more thing I was the one asking what would happen with the eMac and speculating it would get revived but everyone ignored me... shame on you's
  • Reply 98 of 102
    Well a little off topic... but I just got word that we will be buying approx 100 intel imac (17"-1GB) and 28 emacs.

I made a long appeal to tru to buy only intel macs... and I compromised by delaying the replacement of one of our labs, and replacing another with the emacs.

Overall.. I'm pretty happy. Now I just need to find some cool educational uses for those built in isight cams.
  • Reply 99 of 102
    jamesgjamesg Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by npynenberg

Now I just need to find some cool educational uses for those built in isight cams.

A couple of things related to some or all of the previous posts:

1. We've been told by our sales rep that Apple wants to "push the MacMini" in education. However, we don't want the MacMini. Apparently, not many other people in education want it either. It's the perfect size for a backpack, and has an underpowered hard drive.

2. Apple is definitely missing a critical buying window. June/July is when the bulk of these purchases happen. Now we are wondering if we need to spend the money on the outdated eMacs while they last, or spend more money on the iMac. They needed to make an eMac replacement announcement a month ago.

3. The lack of a ~$1100 tower is disappointing.

4. We use SuperDrives to make projects with iMovie and iDVD, end of story. It should be a build-to-order option, as well as the wireless. We don't get all of our machines with these capabilities, but we do get some.

5. Over time, I have become increasingly disappointed that instead of making computers at a price that everyone can afford and thus increasing their market share, Apple is obsessed with profit margins. I understand the logic behind that as well as the logic that many people will respond to that statement with, but education has been squeezed hard by Apple. It is, and continues to be, hard to justify. Thank goodness that the TCO continues to be in the Mac's favor...we have Windows labs that take up all of our techs' time and the Mac labs are maintained by teachers.
  • Reply 100 of 102
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JamesG

5. Over time, I have become increasingly disappointed that instead of making computers at a price that everyone can afford and thus increasing their market share, Apple is obsessed with profit margins. I understand the logic behind that as well as the logic that many people will respond to that statement with, but education has been squeezed hard by Apple. It is, and continues to be, hard to justify. Thank goodness that the TCO continues to be in the Mac's favor...we have Windows labs that take up all of our techs' time and the Mac labs are maintained by teachers.

This is the crux of many an arguement. Join in on other threads with your perspective.