Apple Store shoppers rescued from glass elevator

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Maybe they thought it would be cool to run the elevator on OS X.5 Leooopard beta beta. "This elevator is powered by Mac OS X". I think I might be burned at the stake by Mac fanatics now. Suggesting OS X may cause an elevator jam.

Dude, I would be the kind of guy that would have to go to the toilet while stuck in the Elevator. If one of the kids had to do that, their high skool life is essentially ruined from that point. Destroyed, Game Over. Although actually for guys you could just use the water bottles they were slipping in..!! All in front of a few hundred gawking shoppers and people passing by. The girls though, hmm....
  • Reply 42 of 77
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jobberwacky

Just what I was thinking. Imagine your dream comes true and you get trapped in a lift (that's what they're called over here) with that someone you've always fancied but hadn't yet quite dared to approach physically - and then you find yourself in a bloody glass cage with a 1000 people staring at you from all sides.

Lots of witnesses for the sexual harassment lawsuit.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

He said "Anyone".

Give us an effin break. Your displayed attitude in attacking that post is so hardcore PC that no amount of sea lawyering can rescue any good from it. It is exactly that level of manufactured feigned "hurt" that is just a more insidious version of the intolerance a comment like that was bogusly trying to attack in the first place.

When someone intentionally checks their common sense at the door they forfeit their right to be indignant.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:

You mean they let it run under windows?

You mean it RAN under windows???
  • Reply 45 of 77
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:

You mean they let it run under windows?

huh, no. Microsoft can and does create products other than windows. I know, i know.. its a big secret..sssshhhhh!!.. don't tell anyone. However, a good sarcastic response to my sarcastic response.. maybe microsoft secretly installed windows?.
  • Reply 46 of 77
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Just what I was thinking. Imagine your dream comes true and you get trapped in a lift (that's what they're called over here) with that someone you've always fancied but hadn't yet quite dared to approach physically - and then you find yourself in a bloody glass cage with a 1000 people staring at you from all sides.

Even more insentive to do her in the elevator imo.
  • Reply 47 of 77
    rinninrinnin Posts: 22member
    J.D.: {watching] What are you doing?

Janitor: I'm fixing the [elevator].

J.D.: Maybe there's a penny stuck in there.

Janitor: Did you stick a penny in there?

J.D.: No, I was just trying to make conversation.

Janitor: {pointing at JD with screwdriver} If I find a penny in there... I'm taking you down.

Scrubs, 2001.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    At least the ladies didnt hit the glass ceiling...ba-da-ching!

Tip your waitres and try the wings!
  • Reply 49 of 77
    It was the automatic door, not the elevator! Lol, but is how the whole JD and Janitor thing started

Was awesome because I started watching Scrubs at season 3 and went back, was really funny to watch how it started
  • Reply 50 of 77
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    LAZZZY!

I've been to the store and looked at the lift and thought "who outside of the elderly and handicapped would use that thing". Apparently healthy (for now) 20 year old Americans. Really we are talking about one flight of stairs here.

Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

I've been wondering how long it would take before this happened.

Anyone who isn't disabled and gets stuck on an elevator that they took instead of walking a single flight of stairs got exactly what they deserved, IMHO.

Although these kids probably just took the elevator to see how "COOL" it was.

• Reply 51 of 77
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    But it's like a glass elevator!! I would use the stairs to go down then take a ride up and down the elevator, maybe a few times.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

All the students eventually exited safely once police leaked the hydraulic lines, though some were reported to have received minor burns.

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

Minor burns? From what? The sun?

The elevators where I work (only 4 stories - I do take the stairs every now and then) breaks all the time. We had to sue the owners to fix it after it trapped employees more than once. It also caught on fire a couple of times. It is a hydraulic system like the Applevator. I guess elevators aren't made like they once were.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    It may be a bit cold, but I could not help but laugh at this headline. Then when I saw the images of a lady with a dress on stuck at the top level with a glass elevator, man thats to funny. Flame me I dont care, this just cracks me up.
  • Reply 54 of 77
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wnurse

Aah, yes.. only apple fans can spin a story abouta defective structure, meant to transport people from point A to point B and blame the victims using that structure when it malfunctions. It's quite a unique ability of Apple fanatics. No where else have i noticed this rare ability. Hmmm.. lets see, i take the elevator cause I FEEL like it and it's my fault if it breaks down. Trying to digest that one.. i'll get back to ya'll when it starts making sense.

Hey, you know, its also the user's fault for having sensitive hearing and be bothered by the MacBook's whine, or the PowerMac's beeping (or hair dryer fans when they kick in). And how dare laptop users put their computer on their lap, while wearing shorts! They should know better and wear asbestos. And putting an iPod in your pocket without protection? That's just stupid (regardless that Apple advertises it as "1000 songs in your pocket").
  • Reply 55 of 77
    Revision A Apple hardware -- can be dangerous to your health. Computers, power supplies, architecture, whatever.

I don't think I'd walk under the glass cube on a windy day, that's for sure.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

I've been wondering how long it would take before this happened.

Anyone who isn't disabled and gets stuck on an elevator that they took instead of walking a single flight of stairs got exactly what they deserved, IMHO.

Although these kids probably just took the elevator to see how "COOL" it was.

Or maybe they looked up the injury statistics: in the USA, over 8 million people a year are injured from unintentional falls severely enough to require a trip to the hospital, and over 1500 people per year die form falling down stairs.
  • Reply 57 of 77
    Doesn't anybody read the End User License Agreement anymore?

It clearly says...

THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES, GLASS ELEVATORS OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, TRAPPING CUSTOMERS OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    There's nearly 300 MILLION people in the U.S. Let's keep things in perspective, 'kay?
  • Reply 59 of 77
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    I wish I had been in that elevator with those high school girls! Damned!

Of course then someone would've taken a picture of the ensuing orgy, and it would've been posted on the NET (see the article in this weeks Village Voice on the case of public sex in a dorm room at Univ of Pa, which was recorded and became a big campus scandal).

Anyone who's been to the Apple store would understand why 911 was called. It's a glass elevator in the middle of a glass cube, and can be seen from the street and the store. And the blog (http://ranex.blogspot.com/) did say the security guy was retired NYPD, second day on the job!

This was only a false alarm, and still kids got hurt (lawsuit!). Lucky they were all girls.

Imagine Apple's nightmare scenario:

1) 40 highly oversexed school kids (and one dirty old man) get stuck in the elevator, all healthy and milk fed, from Kansas. It's a big elevator, but not that big. So they're pressed up against each other pretty closely. The first girl who felt the first guy go hard screams. The first girl that has severe claustrophobia/anxiety/diabetes faints. The first onlooker that sees the first boy groping calls the police. The first Apple store employee who sess the whole scene enfolding is thinking about a screenplay, the second calls secuirty and the thrid (security) calls his buddies (NYPD). Lots of lawsuits.

2) From an Iintegrated school: the simlar scenario, reaction is quite different-you'd have FRCers and other anti miscegenation types calling the fire dept (that's what they did in Alabama; check here if you don't believe it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscege...egenation_laws). Lots of lawsuits and some broken windows.

3) And if they were all brown and black (from a rural school district in Mississippi--yeah, right, dream on; more likely from Detroit), someone would be on the phone reporting an attempted terror attack to the FBI (who'd naturally call the NYPD, saying "you deal with it since it's your territory"). Lots of lawsuits and the elevator gets shut down.

PS I was there last night and it was still out of service. To tell the truth it's so high tech it doesn't appear to be an elevator. It must have cost a fortune, since all the hardware is hidden. It reminds me of the transporter tubes in some of the 60's era TV shows. One things for sure. They're spending our money on fluff instead of hiring geniuses. I was sent uptown from the SOHO store only to discover that they were 90 minutes behind at the help desk.

What really sucks is that Apple routes warranty stuff to the Genius Bar, where you're up there competing (at the SOHO store) for hardware assistance against filmmakers, musicians, models and out of work actors. Geeks like me ask too many questions, aren't beautiful enough and don't buy the company line. We're fucked!
  • Reply 60 of 77
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Johnny Mozzarella

Doesn't anybody read the End User License Agreement anymore?

It clearly says...

THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES, GLASS ELEVATORS OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, TRAPPING CUSTOMERS OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.

Ok, so what does the US military do. Do they have a special license, or do they just not worry about it? (Maybe this is why so many guys are getting killed in Iraq: incompatibility between Windows and Macs.)

PS You slipped that "glass elevators" right in under our noses!

PPS I didn't read all of the posts (I get tired of the fighting and name calling) so I'm not sure if the stuff about Windows was a joke or true. I do wonder what software is being used to control the store's infrastructure, including the elevator. At some point Mac/Windows compatibility has to rear it's ugly head, even if more and more it's a Unix world.