"Milk Jug" Intel eMac - Need Mockup Gurus Please!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

No, no no. The extended chin defeats the whole point. The bottom of the screen is the bottom of the computer. We want wide and squat, not tall and breath-on-me-and-I-tip-over.

All the guts go in the flat base slab which is the same size as the display slab. They are mirror images of each other set at a 90° angle. The center aligned, gently curved handle connects the two slabs, providing rigidity to the whole design while doubling as a security cable loop.

Oh I know you don't agree with it, it's my vision of what I'd personally do with it.

Quote:

I'd do it myself, but it would come out worse than ecking's.

lol wow wore than mine? Because my photoshop skills are pretty damn bad
  • Reply 22 of 44
    stustanleystustanley Posts: 236member
    Its morning now and im about to do a mockup, but on a slightly related note:

remember the old 2x2 grid Apple used to have for their laptop and desktop, consumer and pro computers. I can see something similar possibly happeneing now, just with a 3x3 grid now:

Mac mini .......... l Mac ................. l Mac pro ...........

--------------------------------------------

iMac mini ......... l iMac ................ l iMac pro ..........

MacBook mini .. l MacBook .......... l MacBook pro ...

Here we already have the Mac Mini, the Mac pro (Powermac replacement), the iMac, the MacBook and the MacBook Pro.

The i in iMac now means integrated, so the computer we're discussing here could go as an iMac mini. The iMac pro would be put into the same form factor as the current cinema displays and be much more powerful than the current iMac.

The Mac would be a midrange headless mac.

The MacBook mini would be some sort of subnotebook.

What do you think?

Anyway, off to build a mockup.

Stu
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Ok here is what i have so far:

next set of questions:

is that what you imagined so far?

where are the ports going to go?

is the screen at the right angle?

is the handle chunky enough?

and a little unrelated, but never seen before:

stu
  • Reply 24 of 44
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

Ok here is what i have so far:

next set of questions:

is that what you imagined so far?

where are the ports going to go?

is the screen at the right angle?

is the handle chunky enough?

Stu, you rock! Thanks, man, that's exactly what I was envisioning. The front view and the leading edge where the slabs meet are perfect. Handle chunkiness is just right. The screen angle is also perfect.

But now that I can finally see it myself, there are a few things I was wrong about and should be tweaked:

The base slab should be shorter, it doesn't need to be the exact same length as the display slab. Chop about 2" off it so that the handle joins the base slab about an inch from the new back edge. You may need to move the handle joint up on the display slab to keep it symmetrical, but it might be fine left in the exact middle as it is now.

The optical drive should load from the front, so just add a slit under the screen. We should add some (very) small speakers grills/holes to the corners under the screen too. Don't increase the size of the bottom screen bezel though, it's perfect the way it is.

You might have to make the base slab a little thicker to accomplish this, it's OK if it's not the exact same thickness as the display slab. If this ends up looking weird, then leave the slab thickness alone and just make the optical drive load on the left side.

Firewire, USB and Ethernet ports along the right side of the base slab and you're done!

I have the new ad campaign headline:

"The all-new eMac. Get a handle on your homework."
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

remember the old 2x2 grid Apple used to have for their laptop and desktop, consumer and pro computers. I can see something similar possibly happeneing now, just with a 3x3 grid now:

Mac mini .......... l Mac ................. l Mac pro ...........

iMac mini ......... l iMac ................ l iMac pro ..........

MacBook mini .. l MacBook .......... l MacBook pro ...

Here we already have the Mac Mini, the Mac pro (Powermac replacement), the iMac, the MacBook and the MacBook Pro.

The i in iMac now means integrated, so the computer we're discussing here could go as an iMac mini. The iMac pro would be put into the same form factor as the current cinema displays and be much more powerful than the current iMac.

The Mac would be a midrange headless mac.

The MacBook mini would be some sort of subnotebook.

What do you think?

I think that's genius.

Seriously, I've been tackling that issue in my head for the last year and your nine model, 3x3 grid is perfect. I never knew how to get around the "i" in iMac with the new Intel naming conventions, but you've solved it.

Won't happen right away as four new models have to be introduced, but there's no reason we couldn't have that a year from now.

You should start a separate thread on this subject. It warrants forum wide discussion.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Thanks for the compliments, not sure when i will have time to update the 3d model, as i am pretty busy for the next couple of days (exams and stuff!).

Where is the power going to plug in?

stu
  • Reply 27 of 44
    No prob, stu. Take your time.

The power cord is fixed neatly to the back right corner of the base slab. Remember, the power supply is internal. The relatively wide base slab allows the full size hard drive, optical drive and power supply to all be arranged side by side in the case with no stacking.

I was also thinking the back edge could have a removable door that exposes the side by side RAM slots and pull tab hard drive access like in the new MacBooks. A simple long rectangle with some dots for screw heads could indicate this.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

What about something with the AIO concept of the iMac, but has a three legged design similar to that last set of cinema displays?

such as:

personally...I like this a LOT
  • Reply 29 of 44
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

personally...I like this a LOT

It would easily get knocked over...this is not a good edu design.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Some stuff I was playing around with:

• Reply 31 of 44
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Stu, you rock! Thanks, man, that's exactly what I was envisioning. The front view and the leading edge where the slabs meet are perfect. Handle chunkiness is just right. The screen angle is also perfect.

What!? That exactly what I made (which you hated) but without a chin. Other than that it's the same design!

The only reason I ever had a chin was so the computer would be at an aceptable height instead of low to the desk.

This is just a chin-less nicely, modeled version of the design I made you!

What gives man?
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Um, stu's rendering is a little more...shall I say...fleshed out?
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

It would easily get knocked over...this is not a good edu design.

Do cinema displays or current iMacs easily get knocked over? -- No.

Why would this design be a problem.

Also, if it was a problem. Why not just have four legs like a chair.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Do cinema displays or current iMacs easily get knocked over? -- No.

Um, yes.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you don't work with K-12 computer labs.

There's a reason the G4 eMac was built like a tank. The new machine needs the same durability and low center of gravity,
  • Reply 35 of 44
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Um, yes.

There's a reason the G4 eMac was built like a tank. The new machine needs the same durability and low center of gravity,

Agreed, but knocking over a last gen iMac requires a lot of brute force.

Throwing an 8 year old at it might do, though.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:

Um, yes.

Funny you say that. I'm a sophomore in HS.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Does your lab have current gen iMacs and Cinema Displays? If so, how are they secured?
  • Reply 38 of 44
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    When you're talking about K - 6 students I think that the display has to be pretty low, unless the system comes with a booster seat. I also think another design issue will be the power supply - an internal supply seems far better than a mass of bricks in a class room. Otherwise I think the design issue is wide open.

From a practical point of view, however, I think Apple will go with a Solo chip in a 17" iMac, no optical drive (or no SuperDrive if there is one) and smaler HDs. That will handle K-6 without a problem and there would be upgrades available for High School students that need more horsepower - which might include the standard iMac range.

I'm also in agreement on the 3*3 matrix, especially with the MB mini (I've used a 3 pound notebook before and love the form factor) and the mid range Mac. An iMac Pro is hard to envision, however, as the only option I see is one with a 23" display. They might add a second Duo (as there would be room with a 23" display). Now that would catch a lot of interest if the pricing can be held down somewhat.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    I saw the iMac pro as basically just the three cinema displays we have, but with computery bits inside them.

Another exam tommorrow so no updated graphics yet. Maybe tomorrow tho!

stu
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:

Does your lab have current gen iMacs and Cinema Displays? If so, how are they secured?

We have the current generation iMacs. They are secured to the table mostly via the cable arrangment.

I think thought that it would be fine even without a stiff cable arrangment.