2.16GHz 20" iMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When will the iMac be available in 2.16GHz?

There is a 2.16GHz Core duo chip in the MacBook Pro's so why not the iMac?

C'on Steve!
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 30
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I agree a proc bump for the imac is mandatory
  • Reply 2 of 30
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Remember - the iMac, even with the 2.0Ghz is much better value that the MBP.



    David
  • Reply 3 of 30
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AquaMac

    When will the iMac be available in 2.16GHz?

    There is a 2.16GHz Core duo chip in the MacBook Pro's so why not the iMac?

    C'on Steve!



    Maybe because the MacBook Pro is, y'know, Pro, and the iMac is not?



    Quote:

    Originally posted by iMacfan

    Remember - the iMac, even with the 2.0Ghz is much better value that the MBP.



    That's a silly comparison. The iMac has a lot more space and can use desktop components, which are cheaper. Hard drive and screen come to mind. Graphics card can be clocked higher, again, because there's more space (for heat to dissipate).
  • Reply 4 of 30
    And 2.16 isnt that big a speed increase over 2.0 anyway..
  • Reply 5 of 30
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    iMac should be getting a conroe soon after the Merom is released. If Apple updates to the 2.1, and then updates it again there will great deal of unhappy customers.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:

    Originally posted by onlooker

    iMac should be getting a conroe soon after the Merom is released. If Apple updates to the 2.1, and then updates it again there will great deal of unhappy customers.



    Actually, I expect the imac to get a Merom..
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

    Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

    Actually, I expect the imac to get a Merom..



    Same here, the iMac case is too enclosed to house a Conroe. A conroe dissipates some 25W more heat than a Merom, so a conroe-imac could get very loud when cpu is loaded.



    Don't know if Apple will go for overall quality or speed, but i hope and believe in the first one.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Hmm.

    They should update soon anyway.

    The current line up is 6 months old now and is getting a little long in the tooth.



    If Apple can get a Conroe in the iMac they will.



    The price difference between the Merom and the Conroe is large.

    I can even imagine a price reduction.



    Merom:

    T7600 (2.33GHz) over $600

    T7400 (2.13Ghz) $423

    T7200 (2.00Ghz) $294



    Conroe:

    E6700 (2.67GHz) $530

    E6600 (2.40GHz) $316

    E6400 (2.13GHz) $244

    E6300 (1,86GHz) $209
  • Reply 9 of 30
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by gar

    Hmm.

    They should update soon anyway.

    The current line up is 6 months old now and is getting a little long in the tooth.



    If Apple can get a Conroe in the iMac they will.



    The price difference between the Merom and the Conroe is large.

    I can even imagine a price reduction.



    Merom:

    T7600 (2.33GHz) over $600

    T7400 (2.13Ghz) $423

    T7200 (2.00Ghz) $294



    Conroe:

    E6700 (2.67GHz) $530

    E6600 (2.40GHz) $316

    E6400 (2.13GHz) $244

    E6300 (1,86GHz) $209




    Wow, I didn't know the price difference was so great. I vote for Conroe in the iMac.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Remember that Apple will get them at much lower prices, making the difference smaller. And I bet that Apple would want the less heat...
  • Reply 11 of 30
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

    Remember that Apple will get them at much lower prices, making the difference smaller. And I bet that Apple would want the less heat...



    True, but Conroe is more powerful if I remember correctly. For iMac balance (between heat and power) should be titlted towards power not heat concerns. Previously Apple had g5 chips in these machines which produced a significant amount of heat.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    mimacmimac Posts: 871member
    Yep, stick Conroe in there and be done with it

    Heat really becomes an issue in laptops (crotch burn anyone?) though with a desktop there are numerous ways to overcome this.



    I wanna see speed and power
  • Reply 13 of 30
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    and a 23" screen.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,227member
    Folks the heat issues aren't trivial. I see this happen all the time. Mac users want the most speed. Apple takes a chance and then gets cruficied for making computers than melt.



    Think of it like this. If MBP and MB are pretty hot with a processor with a TDP of <35 watts then you can only imagine what the iMac's going to face with a TDP 65 Watt Conroe stuck inside.



    Let us not forget that with the intro of the Intel based iMac Apple actually decreased the thickness of the unit. Meaning that a straight on comparison with G5 based iMacs cannot be done because the internal volumes differ.



    If Apple uses Conroe then I expect another case redesign that cools a bit better. I won't be heart broken if they use Merom though.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    Folks the heat issues aren't trivial. I see this happen all the time. Mac users want the most speed. Apple takes a chance and then gets cruficied for making computers than melt.



    Think of it like this. If MBP and MB are pretty hot with a processor with a TDP of <35 watts then you can only imagine what the iMac's going to face with a TDP 65 Watt Conroe stuck inside.



    Let us not forget that with the intro of the Intel based iMac Apple actually decreased the thickness of the unit. Meaning that a straight on comparison with G5 based iMacs cannot be done because the internal volumes differ.



    If Apple uses Conroe then I expect another case redesign that cools a bit better. I won't be heart broken if they use Merom though.




    Just redesign the case. I hear what you're saying but as I mentioned before, tilt towards performance not thinness of unit. Form factor should yield to performance in this machine IMO.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,227member
    Agreed.



    After further thought I'd rather Apple just make the case a bit thicker and toss in Conroe.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by acidapples

    Same here, the iMac case is too enclosed to house a Conroe. A conroe dissipates some 25W more heat than a Merom, so a conroe-imac could get very loud when cpu is loaded.



    Don't know if Apple will go for overall quality or speed, but i hope and believe in the first one.




    You forget the current iMac design is the same one they used for the PPC G5. So are all the designs. I think, as do many others, that Apple has new designs for their entire lineup, but they were holding off on using them through the first step of the transition so that PPC users would feel comfortable with the intel transition.

    Personally I think Mac users have now grown comfortable with intel, and are ready for the first intel only design, but the PM can go either way AFAIAC. THe case is perfect size, and design for a workstation, but it could also be the first design that Apple breaks the PPC mold on. Nevertheless, conroe is the desktop processor according to intel, and according to Apple the iMac is their desktop computer.



    I think Merom will debut in the Mac Book Pro, or possibly a "low end" iMac, but the Conroe should be it's processor because it will be in every other new x86 desktop.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,227member
    Actually the iMac ICD is thinner and can no longer be mounted using standard VESA mounts. I think Apple would have to move back to a thicker chassis for account for conroe's additional heat.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    Actually the iMac ICD is thinner and can no longer be mounted using standard VESA mounts. I think Apple would have to move back to a thicker chassis for account for conroe's additional heat.



    It's still the same iMac though. No real noticeable changes.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    The final revision g5 imac had the same slimer case that the CD imac has.



    They tweaked the design in the g5 imac's last rev, slimming the case and adding isight and front row.



    I think a g5 was 65watts too so the imac design is probably prepared just fine.
Sign In or Register to comment.