Apple introduces the new U2 iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday introduced a new version of its U2 Special Edition iPod as part of a continued partnership between Apple, U2 and Universal Music Group (UMG).

The new U2 iPod is based on the company's fifth-generation 30GB iPod and holds up to 7,500 songs, 25,000 photos or over 75 hours of video. It features a distinctive, all-black stainless steel enclosure, red Click Wheel and custom engraving of U2 band member signatures.

U2 iPod adopters will also receive 30 minutes of exclusive U2 video downloadable from the iTunes Music Store, Apple said. The new iPod is available immediately for $329.

"We're thrilled to continue working with one of the greatest bands in the world to bring U2 fans a special edition of the world's best digital music player," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of worldwide iPod Product Marketing. "With its distinctive new design, including an all-black stainless steel enclosure, the new U2 iPod is sure to be a hit."

The new U2 iPod features Apple's patent-pending Auto-Sync technology that automatically downloads digital music, podcasts, photos, audiobooks, home movies, music videos and popular television shows onto the iPod and keeps them up-to-date whenever the iPod is plugged into a Mac or Windows computer using USB 2.0. The new U2 iPod features up to 14 hours of battery life for music playback.

Pricing & Availability

The new 30GB U2 iPod is available immediately for a suggested retail price of $329 (US) through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. Each player includes earbud headphones, USB 2.0 cable, a case and dock insert. U2 iPod customers will also receive a coupon for 30 minutes of exclusive U2 video content downloadable from the iTunes Music Store.

iPod requires a Mac with a USB 2.0 port and Mac OS X version 10.3.9 or later and iTunes 6; or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows 2000, XP Home or Professional (SP2) and iTunes 6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Whoa AppleInsider is on the ball with this one - beat out iLounge, Engadget and the rest to this news.

This definitely seems pretty pointless to me - the appeal of the first U2 iPod was the different color option, whereas all this one offers is a red click wheel and the band members' autographs.

Two things that could have made this better - offering the iPod in Red and/or donating a sizable chunk of the price to the (Red) campaign Bono et. al have going on now to deal with aids (Motorola offer a Red SLVR here in the UK which includes a cut of the profits to this cause). This would have served as a way to differentiate the model further, imo.

BTW, what's the reference to Apple's Auto-Sync tech? Isn't that what we've had on every iPod since the beginning?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    If anything, this can be seen as an indication that Apple hasn't given up on "special edition" iPods. Maybe we'll see more of them in the future.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Whoop de friggin dooooo
  • Reply 4 of 34
    strawberrystrawberry Posts: 181member
    How about a Chili Peppers one with tattoos across the back?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    This is about as exciting as the original U2 iPod. Releasing it a second time is the lamest thing I've ever seen from Apple. I would imagine anyone who really cares about having a U2 iPod bought one the first time; Are these people actually ready and willing to purchase another one? I will say that at least the markup isn't that much over other 30 GB models. Other band models might sell better.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyKrz

This is about as exciting as the original U2 iPod. Releasing it a second time is the lamest thing I've ever seen from Apple. I would imagine anyone who really cares about having a U2 iPod bought one the first time; Are these people actually ready and willing to purchase another one? I will say that at least the markup isn't that much over other 30 GB models. Other band models might sell better.

well, i happen to be married to someone who proves your argument wrong on every single point. so there's one.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Strawberry

i'd get that one! but i guess u2 is a better choice cause they have a larger worldwide appeal... and maybe cause flea isn't friends with steve jobs hehe.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I'm wondering why Apple would release these so late after introducing the 5th generation iPod and so close to the 6th?
  • Reply 9 of 34
    psychboypsychboy Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Strawberry

Ohh, a Chili Peppers iPod with a Special Edition white sock!
  • Reply 10 of 34
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    this one goes to ELEVEN!
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by psychboy

One of Five original socks to first 5 purchasers. Junk not included, curly's optional.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I'm waiting for the Beatle's iPod: white with a green apple painted on the click wheel.

• Reply 13 of 34
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdkennedy1

I'm wondering why Apple would release these so late after introducing the 5th generation iPod and so close to the 6th?

Do you know something we don't? I'm not convinced the 6th gen is coming out any time soon.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by your_ad_here

This definitely seems pretty pointless to me - the appeal of the first U2 iPod was the different color option, whereas all this one offers is a red click wheel and the band members' autographs.

The back is also black metal... so i think that makes it quite an appealing "different color option".
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by OllieWallieWhiskers

The back is also black metal... so i think that makes it quite an appealing "different color option".

and then the whole thing will be stuffed into some protective case and the whole color thing is moot. Silly rabbits!
  • Reply 16 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psychboy

...guaranteed pre-worn by Flea!
  • Reply 17 of 34
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdkennedy1

That's what i was thinking, maybe the 6th gen is further off than we thought. I'm holding out for it, so I hope not. I was expecting the 6th sometime before christmas.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

...guaranteed pre-worn by Flea!

Poor Flea is gonna get a rash from trying on all those socks...
  • Reply 19 of 34
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    A new iPod in the satanic colors of black and red is released on 6/6/06? Does this mean Bono is the Antichrist?
  • Reply 20 of 34
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

A new iPod in the satanic colors of black and red is released on 6/6/06? Does this mean Bono is the Antichrist?

No, the Anti-christ will have ACTUAL political influance,