Intel rolls out Broadwater, says 3.2GHz Woodcrest planned

Comments

• Reply 21 of 146
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Wait a second--Core 2 Extreme IS Woodcrest? Is that connection new info or am I just late?

Woodcrest (Xeon 5100) was supposed to be for servers I thought, and then when the Core 2 Extreme name was rumored, I wondered whether that would be a top Conroe chip, or a desktop Woodcrest using a non-Xeon name.

This sounds to me like the latter, and so Woodcrest--and therefore quad cores (dual duals, at first)--will be coming SOON to DESKTOPS. And that means to desktop Macs!

New hope for quad-core Mac Pros? (Something Conroe supposedly can't do but Woodcrest can?)

I know Woodcrest Xeons could have been put in a Mac Pro anyway, but we've been speculating whether that would happen, or whether Xeon 5100s would be Xserve-only. But now, with a Core 2 Extreme branded desktop Woodcrest, it sounds like the doubt is gone, and we WILL get Woodcrest desktop Macs.

It will cost a lot and will beg for the horrible designation of "quad Core 2 Extreme," but I'll take it!

I have to ask where have you been reading? Obviously not the thread your in because this has all been known to us, and discussed in here, and elsewhere at AI for months.
  • Reply 22 of 146
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Woodcrest will be released for servers this month as the Xeon 5100 series.

That's servers, and wokstations.
  • Reply 23 of 146
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    the Xeon 5100 series is Woodcrest, the Core 2 Extreme are Conroe, not Woodcrest. But remember that Conroe and Woodcrest are almost the same chip anyways.

This article is just plain wrong, someone did too much assuming.
  • Reply 24 of 146
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think Broadwater explains why the Powermacs are shipping in August and not June/July. It would suck to have a completely new class of RAM and processor socket eclipse your Mac two or three weeks after you unwrap it.
  • Reply 25 of 146
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

2004........ 2006.... same difference

2006 is the new 2004!

• Reply 26 of 146
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

2006 is the new 2004!

No, 2006 is "the year of the 2004."
  • Reply 27 of 146
    molokomoloko Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I have to ask where have you been reading? Obviously not the thread your in because this has all been known to us, and discussed in here, and elsewhere at AI for months.

this, apparently ? which, i agree, conflicts with what has long been discussed here and on other forums:

He also disclosed that Intel will introduce the Intel Core 2 Extreme processor (Woodcrest) at speeds of 2.93 Gigahertz in July, and a faster 3.2 Gigahertz version later in the year.

ie: from the article at the top of this thread
  • Reply 28 of 146
    molokomoloko Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by doh123

the Xeon 5100 series is Woodcrest, the Core 2 Extreme are Conroe, not Woodcrest. But remember that Conroe and Woodcrest are almost the same chip anyways.

This article is just plain wrong, someone did too much assuming.

tks. will sleep better now
  • Reply 29 of 146
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    Hello, Intel! How about throwing in some Hardware T&L in your blasted Integrated Graphics chipsets! It's the one thing that's really throttling performance.
  • Reply 30 of 146
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    press release is too much confusing ...

are they talking abt conroe or woodcrest or just the broadwater chipset which is going to be used in conore & || woodcrest ...

it will be much confusing for common people ... why they can not hv layman term press release ?...

damn bring that Conroe & woodcrest specs we will identify the CPU differences ourself!
  • Reply 31 of 146
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

?wokstations.

Wokstations??!?

What, Apple turning into a kitchen appliance vendor??!?

;^p
  • Reply 32 of 146
    Come on Adobe! Get your stuff done so I can buy one of these!!
  • Reply 33 of 146
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Wokstations??!?

What, Apple turning into a kitchen appliance vendor??!?

;^p

I heard they were trying to expand into the Chinese market... :-)
  • Reply 34 of 146
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Unicron

Hello, Intel! How about throwing in some Hardware T&L in your blasted Integrated Graphics chipsets! It's the one thing that's really throttling performance.

Done. The new Media Accelerator 3000 does HW T&L, clipping and rotation. Plus beefed up anisotropic filtering and de-interlacing and scaling. Oh yeah HE Codec acceleration as well. Finally a Integrated Graphic chipset that doesn't totally elicit yawns.
  • Reply 35 of 146
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I think Broadwater explains why the Powermacs are shipping in August and not June/July. It would suck to have a completely new class of RAM and processor socket eclipse your Mac two or three weeks after you unwrap it.

Nobody knows when the Power Mac replacement is shipping; I am still betting on June. Broadwater+Conroe will not eclipse Bensley+Woodcrest either (if my math is right, 4xFBD-667 beats 2xDDR2-800).
  • Reply 36 of 146
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

This thread, if you read the article, CONTRADICTS the months of discussion, in claiming that C2X is Woodcrest.

That's why I asked, is this new info?

And thanks to those who have answered: it sounds like MISinfo.
  • Reply 37 of 146
    OK. Merom, Conroe and Woodcrest are all Core 2 chips. Core 2 is simply the brand name for these things.

Merom and Conroe are practically the same thing, except that one is for desktops and the other for notebooks (based on power consumption). The Core chips we have now are all for notebooks and desktops as their power is low, but not as low as Merom (I think I got that the right way around).

Woodcrest is considered a Xeon chip (at least that's the branding), but it is based on the Core 2 architecture, as this gives some significant performance gains in some circumstances, over the current Xeon architecture. It's also the most expensive of the lot because of those performance gains (bigger cache etc).
  • Reply 38 of 146
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by henryblackman

The Core chips we have now are all for notebooks and desktops as their power is low, but not as low as Merom (I think I got that the right way around).

The power consumption of Yonah (Core Duo) and Merom (Core2 Duo) is the same at the same clockspeed. (iirc)

But Merom is 20% more powerfull (faster).

Conroe and Merom are not pin compatible, Yonah and Merom are.
  • Reply 39 of 146
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

The power consumption of Yonah (Core Duo) and Merom (Core2 Duo) is the same at the same clockspeed. (iirc)

But Merom is 20% more powerfull (faster).

Conroe and Merom are not pin compatible, Yonah and Merom are.

You're right. Merom is considered a "mobile" processor, whilst Conroe is not as it does not focus on low power consumption.

Conroe also has a faster system bus than Merom, but current benchmarks I've seen aren't showing much difference in overall performance. Anyone got other info on these two?

I may be right in thinking that in the Windows world, Merom will carry on the Centrino name as Intel Core already has, but Conroe will simply be referred to as Core 2. The message is confusing with Apple's non-use of the Centrino brand - but let's see what their marketing people come up with when their use of the various options pans out.

In fact, another question... will Intel Core (Yonah) be discontinued, or be the budget option as Celeron is now? This might be what Apple need to differentiate Macbook from Macbook Pro, and Mac Pro from iMac/eMac?!?!
  • Reply 40 of 146
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

I may be right in thinking that in the Windows world, Merom will carry on the Centrino name as Intel Core already has, but Conroe will simply be referred to as Core 2. The message is confusing with Apple's non-use of the Centrino brand - but let's see what their marketing people come up with when their use of the various options pans out.

This is a common mistake.

Centrino isn't a CPU. It's a package consisting of the CPU, chipset and wifi components.

Apple doesn't use all the components so can't market it as Centrino even if they were inclined to do so. I'm not sure it'd carry any marketing clout anyway since it's mostly a badge marketing exercise. Manufacturers get discounts for sticking those horrible badges on their laptops.

There's similar schemes for VIIV and vPRO for media and office desktops respectively.

Quote:

In fact, another question... will Intel Core (Yonah) be discontinued, or be the budget option as Celeron is now? This might be what Apple need to differentiate Macbook from Macbook Pro, and Mac Pro from iMac/eMac?!?!

The Celeron M 4xx series is based on the Yonah already. I'd imagine Apple would have used that already if they wanted to. I'd also guess the Macbook Pro will use Merom as soon as the next CPU refresh and they up the Pro to 2.3Ghz although they may hold off for the next chipset for the MacBook to get better integrated graphics.

The iMac uses a laptop CPU - Yonah - with slow FSB and lower performance. The MacPro (or whatever it'll be called) won't. Already quite different even just at the technology level never mind the form factors. I do wonder though if they'll use Conroe instead of Merom in the next iMac. Conroe is likely to be cheaper as it's a desktop part.