Intel rolls out Broadwater, says 3.2GHz Woodcrest planned

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Presenting at Computex on Tuesday, Asia's largest computer expo, Intel Corp. detailed some of the products and technologies that will surround the company's upcoming family of powerful and energy-efficient Intel Core 2 Duo processors.

The world's largest chipmaker also divulged the clock speeds of two upcoming Core 2 Extreme processor and introduced a new low-voltage Core Duo chip.

During the presentation, Intel senior vice president Anand Chandrasekher officially unveiled the company's 965 Express Chipset, formerly code-named "Broadwater." He said future versions, including one with graphics built in, will ship over the next two months. Combined with the Intel Core 2 Duo processor, the 965 Express will enable "breakthrough PC performance, greater power efficiency, quieter systems and theatre-like sound quality, among other benefits," he said.

The new chipset supports DDR2 memory with data transfer speeds up to 800 MHz, which will improve the speed in which files can be access on a personal computer. Chandrasekher said a future integrated graphics chipset, called the G965 Express Chipset, will include a new feature called Intel Clear Video Technology, which enhances high-definition video playback including those from personal video recorders and digital camcorders for sharper image viewing quality.

All of the 965 Express chipsets will allow users to add a second external drive to a PC for extra data protection, as well as Intel High Definition Audio for theater-like sound quality and Intel Quiet System Technology to reduce system noise and heat for a much quieter, yet higher-performing PC.

The 965 chipsets will form the basis of systems supporting Intel's Viiv and vPRO technology platforms, both of which will be increasingly powered by Intel Core 2 Duo processors, Chandrasekher said. He also disclosed that Intel will introduce the Intel Core 2 Extreme processor (Woodcrest) at speeds of 2.93 Gigahertz in July, and a faster 3.2 Gigahertz version later in the year.

"There is a tremendous amount of excitement and anticipation for our forthcoming server, desktop and notebook processors based on the Core microarchitecture," Chandrasekher said. "The message to the industry is simple: We are bringing a massive amount of new products and technologies to the market starting today that will change the game in terms of what technology can do for you."

Also on Tuesday, Intel announced an "ultra low voltage" Intel Core Duo processor that will begin appearing in slim and sleek notebook designs from Dell and HP this summer, and a "600SM PCI Phone Adapter" that allows businesses to make VoIP calls from desktop PC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 146
    "ultra low voltage" Intel Core Duo processor that will begin appearing in slim and sleek notebook designs from Apple this summer?
  • Reply 2 of 146
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    3GHZ by Summer 2006!
  • Reply 3 of 146
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

3GHZ by Summer 2006!

2004........ 2006.... same difference
  • Reply 4 of 146
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Wait a second--Core 2 Extreme IS Woodcrest? Is that connection new info or am I just late?

Woodcrest (Xeon 5100) was supposed to be for servers I thought, and then when the Core 2 Extreme name was rumored, I wondered whether that would be a top Conroe chip, or a desktop Woodcrest using a non-Xeon name.

This sounds to me like the latter, and so Woodcrest--and therefore quad cores (dual duals, at first)--will be coming SOON to DESKTOPS. And that means to desktop Macs!

New hope for quad-core Mac Pros? (Something Conroe supposedly can't do but Woodcrest can?)

I know Woodcrest Xeons could have been put in a Mac Pro anyway, but we've been speculating whether that would happen, or whether Xeon 5100s would be Xserve-only. But now, with a Core 2 Extreme branded desktop Woodcrest, it sounds like the doubt is gone, and we WILL get Woodcrest desktop Macs.

It will cost a lot and will beg for the horrible designation of "quad Core 2 Extreme," but I'll take it!
  • Reply 5 of 146
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    In this situation the codenames are a lot easier to manage. Calling everything Core 2 is very difficult to make any sense of.
  • Reply 6 of 146
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Homestar06

"ultra low voltage" Intel Core Duo processor that will begin appearing in slim and sleek notebook designs from Apple this summer?

I hope so, but there are LV and ULV Core chips available now that Apple isn't using. Apple is only using the highest voltage bracket of the Core Duos.
  • Reply 7 of 146
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I hope so, but there are LV and ULV Core chips available now that Apple isn't using. Apple is only using the highest voltage bracket of the Core Duos.

.. and it will look like Apple won't be using LV/ULV chips till a few hours before the new product is released. Then there will be an exclusive rumor about it on this site.. .. Possibly, it's all about getting you buy what's available now.

Edited for clarification!
  • Reply 8 of 146
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OfficerDigby

.. and it will look like they won't be making/using LV/ULV chips till a few hours before the new product is released. Then there will be an exclusive rumor about it on this site.. .. Possibly, it's all about getting you buy what's available now.

The Core "L" series is shipping now and has been available for a little bit, one forum member has used a Lenovo, I think X60.
  • Reply 9 of 146
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Yeah that's true its 2006 and Apple has never had a 3Ghz machine.

But also true that Woodcreast will get more work done with less heat than previous Pentium chips.
  • Reply 10 of 146
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I like chicken.
  • Reply 11 of 146
    molokomoloko Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Wait a second--Core 2 Extreme IS Woodcrest? Is that connection new info or am I just late?

Woodcrest (Xeon 5100) was supposed to be for servers I thought, and then when the Core 2 Extreme name was rumored, I wondered whether that would be a top Conroe chip, or a desktop Woodcrest using a non-Xeon name.

yup, was wondering about this...

recent info pointed to "Woodcrest in June, Conroe in July, Merom in August"

...giving hope for Intel Quads in August @WWDC'06 *hurrah* ? this'd have to be based on Woodcrest, according to info released so far, as Conroe will be for single-chip machines (ie: like a non-Xeon P4) & Woodcrest for more than 1 chip on a single mobo (ie: like a Xeon)...

then in more recent info, Intel named Conroe Core 2 Duo with the top 2 chip speed variants dubbed Core 2 Duo Extreme

still wondering where Woodcrest (apart from info out of Intel that it is the server-class chip of the series) fits into all this? and when?? and thus when a MacPro 2x Core2 Duo Extreme (if this is indeed the production name for Woodcrest too?) / Intel Quad???
  • Reply 12 of 146
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

This sounds to me like the latter, and so Woodcrest--and therefore quad cores (dual duals, at first)--will be coming SOON to DESKTOPS. And that means to desktop Macs!

I think a lot of people speculating about Mac desktops are awfully hung up about the difference between Pentium 4's, D's, and Xeons. The bottom line is that it's all about performance and heat dissipation... when Apple can build an Intel desktop that rivals their PowerPCs in performance on MacOS productivity apps they'll release'em. It doesn't really matter what used to be a Xeon or a Pentium 4 class chip.
  • Reply 13 of 146
    molokomoloko Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

The bottom line is that it's all about performance and heat dissipation... when Apple can build an Intel desktop that rivals their PowerPCs in performance on MacOS productivity apps they'll release'em. It doesn't really matter what used to be a Xeon or a Pentium 4 class chip.

sure, that's exactly WHY why those of us with an interest in actually buying the next high-end machine are watching Intel's roadmap and news very keenly...

ie: when indeed will there be an Intel chip to outperform the current PowerPC G5 Quad ? and when we'll see it...

the informed speculation points to this as a possibilty at WWDC 2006, ie: if there is a Core Duo 2 series chip that can be paired

still wondering about AI calling Woodcrest a Core Duo 2 Extreme...

this is from just over a week ago:

http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2547

"Core 2 Duo processors will be introduced on July 23 of this year and, according to Intel's estimates, and will be accompanied by the new 96x "Broadwater" chipset. According to Intel's updated roadmap, Core 2 processors will expand to roughly 35% of Intel's shipments in Q1'07. Conroe, as the desktop version of Core 2 Duo is dubbed, will be the first Intel processor with the new letter/number naming schedule, as noted below.

Intel's flagship, the Core 2 Extreme processor, is also expected to launch on July 23 with the X6800 name."

... and still wondering if this Core 2 Extreme is Woodcrest or just higher-speed Conroe?
  • Reply 14 of 146
    This article sure makes it sound like C2X is Woodcrest. Re "Woodcrest in June" but "Core 2 Extreme in July," my guess is:

Woodcrest will be released for servers this month as the Xeon 5100 series.

But then in July, Woodcrest desktop chips will appear. Still Woocrest, but named "Core 2 Extreme" along side the Conroe "Core 2 Duo" chips.

And re differences between Pentium 4, D and Xeon... I couldn't care less, since Netburst is dead and good riddance The Xeon I DO care about is the 5100 series aka Woodcrest aka server version of Core 2. Not because I'll buy a server but because I want Woodcrest power in a desktop Mac--especially the ability to pair chips for quad cores.
  • Reply 15 of 146
    And then we have other places saying Core 2 Extreme is Conroe (though that still doesn't prove pairing is impossible):

http://techreport.com/sendto_friend.x/10083/

Who's correct?
  • Reply 16 of 146
    //All of the 965 Express chipsets will allow users to add a second external drive to a PC//

wow imagine that!!

how could that be?
  • Reply 17 of 146
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Someone should really proofread these press releases before they post them.

DDR2 transferring at 800Mhz improving file access ?

Core 2 Extreme = Woodcrest ?

Second External drive for data protection ?

Which bit of this is regurgitated press release and which bit is added AppleInsider mistake?
  • Reply 18 of 146
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Yeah that's true its 2006 and Apple has never had a 3Ghz machine.

But also true that Woodcreast will get more work done with less heat than previous Pentium chips.

Not true exactly.

Jobs first demoed Mac OS X on a 3.2 Pentium box. Not exactly shipping, but 3 GHz never the less.

Dave
  • Reply 19 of 146
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I like chicken.

And I like BBQ'ed Woodcrest chicken.
  • Reply 20 of 146
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    All instances of Core 2 Extreme I've seen over at Xtremesystems.org are of Conroe core.

And no, it is not DP capable.

Can someone tell me why you insist on the Conroe to be used in the Mac Pro? The Woodcrest is a dual processor workstation/server chip. It is by no means a high end server chip capable of four or eight processor systems. If Apple wants a dual processor computer, they have to use the Woodcrest, and if they want to use the Conroe on the low end, they will have to change the socket and the northbridge and probably reroute memory lanes, and the low end will not support FB-DIMM. In my opinion, this is more work than it's worth. Better just stick one Xeon chip in there and let the user upgrade later if she wants to.