Future imac designs?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    simplicity is it's own beauty

what about the present setup but the computer portion is modular...such that if you want to upgrade your HD you can pull it out and replace it, or the superdrive, pull it out and replace it. or a second bay for added drives. make it more flexible. or have a home "server, cpu" that streams to a "monitor" then every monitor is your computer, or a shared computer. it could handle say 4-5 monitors including the tv??? now that would be a direction for a home media "center" right now the computer has a "space" and you must go to that space to use it, laptops help but don't have the "ooomph" of a desktop. get rid of the desk, more flexible, the real issue is everywhere access. so apple would sell "monitors" with BT and wifi (n) and we would have a central cpu with multiple bays for that 5 terabyte drive system. "stream and save" everything anytime, anywhere, everywhere.

see we focus on the form factor, what we need to focus on is flexibility and a new philosophy for "computer access". we have a problem with "mind set" we keep thinking "looks, form"

you know i think this post has my most use of "..." on this forum ever.....congratulations to me

is it just me or is AI posting and editing very slow, we are talking minutes the last few days to see your post and edit. this edit took 2-3 minutes to come up hmmmmm or should i say "hmmmmmm"
  • Reply 22 of 43
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

wont buy until it loses its chin

absolutely needs a wireless keyboard and a BT mighty mouse.

I like the chin. Gives it personality.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    Oh no, not back on this whole chin topic again, how many times has this come up on the forum?
  • Reply 24 of 43
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

wont buy until it loses its chin

Have you actually ever used one, or are you speaking from "experience" of looking at photos on Apple's website?
  • Reply 25 of 43
    its a near perfect design other computer makers drool over it's like sprinkling glitter on a rose...it's almost arrogant to change the "look" . when I walked into an apple store and see it for the first time....a quiet solitude engulfs me...because i am in the presence of a design that is changing the WORLD. show me something as sweeeeet8)
  • Reply 26 of 43
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

show me something as sweeeeet8)

23" iMac....?
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

23" iMac....?

i meant DESIGN
  • Reply 28 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    How about this for the new imac:

But wait, isn't that just a Mini attached to a cinema display?

Well yeah and let's compare prices shall we.

20-inch imac:

20-inch widescreen LCD with 1680x1050 resolution

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 cache

512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

250GB Serial ATA hard drive

Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive

ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

price: £1,129

My new imac:

20-inch cinema display comes with 2xusb2 and 2xFW400 ports

1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor 2MB L2 Cache

512MB memory (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)

80GB Serial ATA hard drive

Double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

Apple Remote

add an x1600 GPU w 128MB VRam instead of Intel GMA

price: £549 (display) + £599? (CD Mini with better GPU - you can get an x1600 pro for £70 online) = £1,148

So it's a little more expensive and you get a smaller HD, slower CPU (possibly not - I'm sure they could up the spec) but you get 3FW ports and 6 usb2 ports and it looks a lot nicer - stupid chin (and yes I have one in the office - though it's not mine. The person using it finds the chin handy for post-it notes though).

The other advantage the Mini cinema has is if your display goes bad, you can get a cheap one to replace it. You also don't have to fumble around trying to get a cd/dvd in the slot on the side. You also don't have difficulty plugging devices in or finding the power button. I really wish Apple would give up the idea with the all-in-ones.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    Why?!... the iMac is awesome!

And that thing about the powerbutton is just plain rubbish, both powerbuttons are at the back of the machine.

And if you want to plug other peripherals to the "hub" located in the back of the Cinema Display... you have to do the same handling just like with the iMac.

And do you get that awesome feature with magnets to attach the remote to the side? No... so you'll probably lose the damn remote that costs £19.

What about the iSight?!.. you forgot to ad £99 to your "this-is-way-better-that-the-iMac-combo-deal-but-it-costs-more-and-get-less-'cause-I-don't-like-the-iMac"

/Apologist Ranting

• Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

How about this for the new imac: [snip]

psssssst it sucks.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Quote:

And that thing about the powerbutton is just plain rubbish, both powerbuttons are at the back of the machine.

The Mini one is at the top right of the machine though and easy to find.

Quote:

And do you get that awesome feature with magnets to attach the remote to the side? No... so you'll probably lose the damn remote that costs £19.

You sit it on top of the Mini.

Quote:

What about the iSight?!.. you forgot to ad £99 to your "this-is-way-better-that-the-iMac-combo-deal-but-it-costs-more-and-get-less-'cause-I-don't-like-the-iMac"

Ok, I'll give you that one but in my hypothetical mockup, Apple would magically reduce the cost of the cinema display by £99 because of the fact they'd be selling more of them.

I really just want to see a better design. Mac laptops are among the best designed machines on the market and the G5 tower looks quite good too. I like the Mini also but the imac is the only machine where I think Apple's design dept. has slipped a bit.

The cinema displays look awesome. If you still wanted an all-in-one, then as I've said in the past, they just need to take the HD and optical drive and put it in the base. Then move the rest of the components into the middle of the display at the back.

This means the DVD drive is easier to access and it's very stylish. No chin, no white plastic, functional and beautiful.

I'd also like if the display could be detached from the stand. This way if the display/machine goes bad, you can send it away without your hard drive so that nosey service reps can't snoop all your data. The base should be easy to open so that HD upgrades are easy for the average user.

Oh yeah and it would come with a flat scissor key aluminium keyboard.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

The Mini one is at the top right of the machine though and easy to find.

And how is "right around the corner" (iMac) not easy to find? You only have to find it once, you know.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    On another forum (that will remain unnamed), I suggested at the time the present Cinema Displays were introduced at WWDC and the subsequent halt in iMac G4 sales, that the next iMac was going to look just like the Cinema Displays only thicker. I thought I was going to be stoned. Sure enough I was right. Since they look very similar in design I think whatever redesign we see this time on the Cinema Displays it will lead us to what the new iMac will look like.

I hope the new iMac (and Cinema Displays) possesses an adjustable height display and a display that rotates. Of course, a rotatable display means that Apple has to either put the power brick outside of the unit or they have to incorporate the power supply inside the computer without the "chin."

I am also one that is done with the white/snow look. I like the white iMac Â? don't get me wrong! I think the current iMac is a great design. But like everything else in this world, it's design day of wreckoning is coming. Apple will want to change it to keep the product fresh. I think Apple's incorporation of white into everything consumer has run its course. And I don't think making the same plastics black Ã* la the black MacBook is the answer either.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

psssssst it sucks.

Oooh! Rebel! Rock music and tongue studs! Stick it to the man!

If Apple released it you would love it.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    One thing is for sure... the chin is there because of design... it's not like they couldn't fit everything at the back of the machine (e.g. Powerbook 12")
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Oooh! Rebel! Rock music and tongue studs! Stick it to the man!

If Apple released it you would love it.

No, I won't.

Because I don't like to have 2 powerbricks on my desk, Slower/smaller HD, slower processor, more cable clutter, integrated graphics, etc. etc.

Dedicated GPU in a Mac mini is not gonna happen.

as said before: why present a bad solution as a good alternative for an already perfect solution like the iMac.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Never mind. I'm retarded and thought you were speaking in reference to the black iMac.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

I don't like to have 2 powerbricks on my desk, Slower/smaller HD, slower processor, more cable clutter, integrated graphics, etc. etc.

I suppose when your screen goes dark and fuzzy, gets dead pixels or breaks altogether you'll be happy to pay the $600 for a replacement too? Nah, me neither. That's why separating displays from the machine is better. Some people like to upgrade their monitors every now and then without having to sell their machine or use it with their HDTVs.

I currently use a £30 CRT that supports up to 1920x1440 on my Mini and the colour reproduction, refresh rate, viewing angle etc, are far better than an LCD - even one from Apple and I like to have the choice.

As for the power brick issue, I'm sure Apple could make a docking bay at the base of the cinema display so you could share the power. It's true it still has a lower spec and it shouldn't. Maybe Apple need to do some cost analysis on the Mini because there's no reason why it shouldn't be the price of the imac minus the display.

Quote:

Dedicated GPU in a Mac mini is not gonna happen.

Hello? Can anyone tell me what the G4 Mac mini I'm typing this on has?

Quote:

as said before: why present a bad solution as a good alternative for an already perfect solution like the iMac.

If it was perfect, I'd have one and this thread would not exist.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

...they could put the whole computer in the display. That wasn't possible in the past, and they were they first to do it! The future will see a very thin display with the whole computer built in to it.

it was possible. apple didn't invent that form factor. i remember some PCs that used this design in the past. evidently, they weren't as thin as the imac.

i think they were made by gateway or sony, idunno. i don't remember, but the form factor isn't new.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:

Hello? Can anyone tell me what the G4 Mac mini I'm typing this on has?

I'll help you out: Its a dedicated GPU.

You've got yourself a collectors item.

Since Intel has a nice solution that's cheap and keeps a lot to whish for and whine about. So people are willing to shell out at least $500 extra for an iMac I don't think you'll see another solution.

But the next generation Intel integrated graphics seems to become quite good.

Apple wants you to buy the more expensive computer so they will cripple the Mac mine till it's limp.

Quote:

If it was perfect, I'd have one and this thread would not exist.

This thread exists because there are more people like you who think that tossing some parts together with good specs makes a good computer.