Apple seen delivering "ultra-portable" at Macworld

Comments

• Reply 121 of 190
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    I wonder if the "ultra portable mac" is the same as a "true video iPod".
  • Reply 122 of 190
    This is pretty much what I'm hoping for from Apple this coming year:

A simple system to make phone calls and easily organize my personal data, with expandable functionality through third party apps. Synchronizing through iSync on a mac and however it's done on windows. Only with a wonderful Apple spin, and a larger screen.
  • Reply 123 of 190
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skwidspawn

A simple system to make phone calls and easily organize my personal data, with expandable functionality through third party apps. Synchronizing through iSync on a mac and however it's done on windows. Only with a wonderful Apple spin, and a larger screen.

Is this the Mac portable or the iPhone Smart-phone?
  • Reply 124 of 190
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Heh heh!
  • Reply 125 of 190
    I would buy one of these devices the first day its released! I cant wait!
  • Reply 126 of 190
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwalker456

I would buy one of these devices the first day its released! I cant wait!

That's the trouble, no one can!
  • Reply 127 of 190
    Quote:

Why don't you just buy the one in the picyure, why would you want apple to produce it aswell?
  • Reply 128 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple Computer could introduce an "ultra-portable PC" that employs NAND-based flash memory in time for the January Macworld trade show in San Francisco, one Wall Street analyst says.

UBS Investment Research analyst Ben Reitzes said this week his proprietary checks indicate Apple is working on "ultra-portable PCs" and even notebooks equipped with NAND flash memory in order to speed up boot times.

"We believe these new products could start in notebook products with combo-drives (NAND and HDD) or ultra-portables (NAND only), and could be released in time for MacWorld," Reitzes told clients.

Intel, which supplies microprocessors to Apple, has made no secret of its plans to build NAND flash -- a type of solid-state memory commonly found in consumer electronics like digital audio players -- into its own PC logicboard designs.

At its developers conference this past March, the Santa Clara, Calif.-based chipmaker said it would deliver NAND flash features in its forthcoming notebook platform, dubbed Santa Rosa, due in early 2007.

"We need to have devices that boot up very rapidly," Sean Maloney, the head of Intel's mobility group, told developers at the conference. "The same way you come off a plane and get a cell phone signal immediately."

Reitzes also said his surveys and visits to Apple retail locations show a "very positive" reaction to the company's current line of notebook computers: the MacBook and MacBook Pro.

The analyst expects sales of the portables to help drive overall Mac unit growth of 5 percent year-over-year, or 12 percent sequentially, to 1.24 million during Apple's third quarter.

"Checks show the education segment should also lend support to estimates, given June is the time school districts exhaust annual budgets," Reitzes wrote. "With the education segment accounting for approximately 25 percent of US Mac unit sales, we believe both June and July (when new budgets come into play) could see solid growth, especially for MacBooks and iMacs."

The analyst maintains a Buy rating on shares of Apple with a price target of $95.

I thought the market for these things was very small - I'll chalk this up to the same amount of respect that I give to all those rumors about Apple PDAs. Apple definitely will continue to develop it's laptop line-up, maybe even add a 15" MacBook non-Pro, but if you add make an 11" ultra-portable laptop you're going to HAVE to charge out the ass and not have all the features that one currently sees in the MacBook and MacBook Pro series.
  • Reply 129 of 190
    Quote:

Good God man! That thing is very ugly and un-Apple! It looks like the screen hinge could VERY easily break, the unit is so small as to be un-usable to most people and how can you enjoy the beauty of OS X on such a small, low-res screen! I've yet to see a screen <13" that really impressed me with it's image quality and I would hate to see Apple adopt those screens for their units. I think the feature where your computer sync'd your Home dir to your iPod so you could go anywhere and bring your home dir with you was much smarter than having a tiny, unusable machine that you have to pay $2,000+ for to sync with your other Macs.
  • Reply 130 of 190
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwsmiths

but if you add make an 11" ultra-portable laptop you're going to HAVE to charge out the ass and not have all the features that one currently sees in the MacBook and MacBook Pro series.

Bring it. I'll pay.
  • Reply 131 of 190
    Quote:

Apple seen delivering "ultra-portable" at Macworld

Quite clearly a touch-screen Mac OS tablet, woohooo!!

That only shows a tablet/touch driven interface, not necessarily a tablet computer but maybe some sort of remote control. Honestly tablet PCs are cool, but a large scale solution. The % of the PC market that is composed of table PCs is smaller than the % of the market that is Macintosh by quite a bit I bet. How many models of tablet PCs are sold compared to those that are not tablet PCs? Tablets are a micro-niche, just like UMPCs. Apple's committment to either of this would be unlikely. I'm not saying Apple shouldn't or won't ever make a tablet, but I just don't think that's the case today. Apple may simply be placing a patent on an idea of theirs in case a rival ever brings something along those lines to the market.
  • Reply 132 of 190
    Quote:

Does it matter? Maybe it is one and the same product. Especially given the rumour that 'iPhone' is only a technology rather than a physical product.
  • Reply 133 of 190
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I've yet to see a screen <13" that really impressed me with it's image quality and I would hate to see Apple adopt those screens for their units.

I haven't seen one of those lately, but the image quality of Apple's current notebooks isn't that hot with respect to viewing angle.
  • Reply 134 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I haven't seen one of those lately, but the image quality of Apple's current notebooks isn't that hot with respect to viewing angle.

I have no problems viewing my Macbook from the side - but then again I normally look at my laptop dead on and don't mind it when people nearby cannot read what I am working on.
  • Reply 135 of 190
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I have no problems viewing my Macbook from the side - but then again I normally look at my laptop dead on and don't mind it when people nearby cannot read what I am working on.

I can see them from the side no problem, but the colors are wrong if the angle is more then a few degrees off, horizontally or vertically.
  • Reply 136 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I can see them from the side no problem, but the colors are wrong if the angle is more then a few degrees off, horizontally or vertically.

I don't see a major effect on mine when I hold mine about 45 degrees from center. Beyond that angle doesn't really matter since you're supposed to view the screen from about dead on with a laptop.
  • Reply 137 of 190
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I thought the market for these things was very small - I'll chalk this up to the same amount of respect that I give to all those rumors about Apple PDAs. Apple definitely will continue to develop it's laptop line-up, maybe even add a 15" MacBook non-Pro, but if you add make an 11" ultra-portable laptop you're going to HAVE to charge out the ass and not have all the features that one currently sees in the MacBook and MacBook Pro series.

An 11" ultra portable is about the only thing that would make me regret my 17" MBP. There simply wasn't a small enough alternative so I went with a desktop replacement for the occasional demo. A 8.5 x 11" tablet very thin would be better.

Vinea
  • Reply 138 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

An 11" ultra portable is about the only thing that would make me regret my 17" MBP. There simply wasn't a small enough alternative so I went with a desktop replacement for the occasional demo. A 8.5 x 11" tablet very thin would be better.

Vinea

Well considering it would probably cost about as much as your 17" (since those ultra small laptops tend to fetch a premium already) I don't know that enough people would buy them to make it worth Apple's while to develop, market and build one.
  • Reply 139 of 190
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    For business buyers cost is sometimes a secondary issue as long as it fits below some magic amount.

Vinea
  • Reply 140 of 190
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

That only shows a tablet/touch driven interface, not necessarily a tablet computer but maybe some sort of remote control. Honestly tablet PCs are cool, but a large scale solution. The % of the PC market that is composed of table PCs is smaller than the % of the market that is Macintosh by quite a bit I bet. How many models of tablet PCs are sold compared to those that are not tablet PCs? Tablets are a micro-niche, just like UMPCs. Apple's committment to either of this would be unlikely. I'm not saying Apple shouldn't or won't ever make a tablet, but I just don't think that's the case today. Apple may simply be placing a patent on an idea of theirs in case a rival ever brings something along those lines to the market.

.5% of the PC market.