Apple seen delivering "ultra-portable" at Macworld

Comments

• Reply 61 of 190
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

That's not bad... But I think MacBook nano probably captures what the laptop will be--tiny, rather than fast, per se.

Hey I can handle that. Something perfect for long writing sessions that is S I L E N T and has oodles of battery life. Preferably visible in "passive" daylight mode ... you know, like paper.

(Yes, I'm one of these folk who types faster and more comfortably on small keyboards. I much prefer my 12" PB to a desktop for this sort of thing.)

MacBook nano me, stat!
  • Reply 62 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by xanthohappy

This is a RUMOUR about a product that MIGHT be released in JANUARY. There's no reason to cry.

Ah, okay.
  • Reply 63 of 190
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    I'm thinking that it's going to be something much simpler, more focused, and cleaner (and thinner) than MS's Origami Project.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/hardware.mspx

(Have you noticed Microsoft's product details like this barely tell you anything about anything. Their Vista page is the same way.)

and a (fake prototype) video on it here,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKzp3...soft%20origami
  • Reply 64 of 190
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Here's what they'll be:

• Reply 65 of 190
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Here's what they'll be:

Na Mac's have better typography than that!
  • Reply 66 of 190
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

That's not bad... But I think MacBook nano probably captures what the laptop will be--tiny, rather than fast, per se.

Nano works for the iPod...

I'd go with MacBook Light (or perhaps Lite)
  • Reply 67 of 190
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    How about LIttle Mac.

Someone tell Apple to hurry up.
  • Reply 68 of 190
    thttht Posts: 5,613member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Ok here is THE Product

Merom proc

GMA X3000 graphics

12.1 LCD screen

2 So-DIMM slots (1GB standard)

40GB Perpendicular 1.8" drive

No optical drive

FW, GigE ethernet, Draft N, BT 2.0

Dock options

3.5- 4lbs

$1699 sell like Hotcakes!

This is pretty close I think. Hopefully they'll compete with the likes of Sony, Dell or Samsung. Maybe something like:

<3 lb

12.1" 1280x800 LCD

0.8" thick

1.2 GHz Ultra Low Voltage Core 2 Duo (~6 W TDP)

Intel integrated graphics

1 SO-DIMM slot w/512 MB memory

2.5" SATA notebook drive

No optical, no card slot

FW, Gig Ethernet, WiFi and BT

DVI (if it fits, mini-DVI if it doesn't)

2 USB, audio in/out

Port replicator

6+ hr battery life

And it would go into the $1699 slot.

Can't understand why Apple doesn't have a port replicator and docking station for their laptops. Docking stations could be a high margin accessory for Apple. Not to mention a potential high margin LCD monitor sale either.
  • Reply 69 of 190
    They oughta use that new Intel processor that is sub 1W.
  • Reply 70 of 190
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

If Apple intro's these machines in August, then they must have already found a way to support it in the OS. So, if that's true, either 10.4.7 will contain the code, or we will see another update at the convention.

The next MacWorld is in January 2007. I would be VERY surprised to see these mentioned by Apple before then, including at the WWDC in August.
  • Reply 71 of 190
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

The next MacWorld is in January 2007. I would be VERY surprised to see these mentioned by Apple before then, including at the WWDC in August.

Firstly, we have no evidence that they will intro these at all! These are just more unlikely rumors. So, my thought is, based on all of that evidence (none!), that they might release it in August. If they relesae it in January, they lose the holiday sales season, which would make NO sense at all for this obviously consumer type product.

Just as Apple wouldn't release a major upgrade to an iPod just after the December quarter, I can't see them doing that with this.

Minor upgrades, yes.
  • Reply 72 of 190
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

[i]

http://www.ditl.org/gpns/GPadd1.jpg

Na Mac's have better typography than that!

Star Trek Padd's are like that on purpose. Since the screen never changes, they don't want ya to be able to read it.

That is the product I would like though.

1) No more than iPod thick

2) No ports but maybe a usb.

3) Built in bluetooth and 802.11n

4) Built in Apple remote access so you can do more processor intensive stuff when in range of your real mac

5) IR in/out so it can be the ultimate remote control

6) No drives, just flash memory on board and a memory card slot.

7) All of the iLife programs that will run.

8 ) Decent book reader

9) Easel style charging/holder so it can play electronic photos when not being used for anything else

10) 7-8" diagonal touch screen

Ahhh to dream... Wet dream that is.

• Reply 73 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

This dead horse hasn't been saddled recently and WWDC is coming soon. What better place for Apple to introduce something 'new' that needs developer support.

Intel has worked with a couple of vendors to produce UMPC (namely Samsung, Asus and Founder) but they haven't had an operating system with a desire to be innovative in this space. This is an Apple niche!!!!!! Something that has already been tried but without enough vision or commitment.

Apple was successful with the Duo back in the early 90's and this could be a rebirth of the Duo. Handwriting recongnition, news/book reader, AAC/MP3, device, iSight. All things that have been done but need to be re-integrated together.

(The Nokia 770 is another interesting device in this space as mentioned earlier in this thread and it is based on a TI Chipset. It makes some compromises in performance based on the platform/cost. The UMPC (with the 945GMS chipsets makes different compromises, e.g. single channel memory, built in graphics)

Other compromises necessary to make this device have been discussed here and whatever they come out with won't make everybody happy but it needs a rumor. It can't wait until January. The hardware is available and it just needs to be integrated with Mac OS X and some dedicated developers.
  • Reply 74 of 190
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    This Mac fan obviously didn't appreciate the difference between a "UMPC" and a "Palmtop" .

--B
  • Reply 75 of 190
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Uh, yes, thanks for that one.
  • Reply 76 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kolchak

Never buy rev A of Apple or any other hardware. The problems with the cooling and discoloration of the Macbooks is just another reminder of that.

I hear this all the time but the first PowerMac G5 I owned (1.6 Ghz Rev. A) worked beautifully and in three years I never had a problem with it. It worked flawlessly. Now I have a 2 Ghz dual core PM (Rev. A on the dual core's), and it is also working beautifully.

Chances are excellent I will upgrade when the dual socket quad's are released so I can severely up my render times, but Rev. A's don't worry me at all.

Maybe I've just been lucky.
  • Reply 77 of 190
    I don't know what a burned hand has to do with an "ultra-portable" device and Rev A hardware is only marginally better. I have had plenty of Rev A Apple products from Beige, B&W, Airport, iPod, G5 Towers. Yes there are some problems that get resolved in latter revs but they have all met my needs and been very usable and don't get upgraded the week after I buy them.

An Apple ultra portable Rev A could have issues, point taken.

I think THT had some fairly good specs earlier. Of course I have a couple that I would change, e.g. smaller screen for more portability, 802.11g (since it is already available).

An "ultra-portable" designed with audio and video recording/ voice recognition, handwriting recognition, Wifi, bluetooth would replace iPods as the must have for school. Lectures and PDF textbooks could be distributed to students. Voice annotation of textbooks.

At some point EVDO, HSDPA or WiMax would need to be incorporate access from anywhere.
  • Reply 78 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by Silverdog

I don't know what a burned hand has to do with an "ultra-portable" device and Rev A hardware is only marginally better.

The fact that PBs and MBPs are "notebooks" as opposed to "laptops", seeing as they cause 3rd degree lap burns after 3 minutes of surfing, made me think that Apple would choose "UMPC" over "PalmTop", in order to cover their asses, linguistically speaking, in the case of situations like the one illustrated above.

See this other thread called Apple, bring back "laptops"... to hell with "notebooks"

--B
  • Reply 79 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

The fact that PBs and MBPs are "notebooks" as opposed to "laptops", seeing as they cause 3rd degree lap burns after 3 minutes of surfing, made me think that Apple would choose "UMPC" over "PalmTop", in order to cover their asses, linguistically speaking, in the case of situations like the one illustrated above.

See this other thread called Apple, bring back "laptops"... to hell with "notebooks"

--B

That thread is one of the reasons that I went back into the 'archives' for this thread to come up with something that could be a 'laptop'.

I also own a Rev. a MB and I use it on my lap routinely without 1st or 3rd degree burns. I would not attempt to run a Rosetta application or something compute intensive with the MB on my lap, however surfing is fine. I haven't done all the temperature testing on my MB as it really is a fairly light duty machine and I have a Rev a G5 for heavy lifting. (Probably not a lot of performance difference between an almost 3 year old tower and a MB on processors but the G5 wins hands down on harddrives and displays)

I would have liked a UMPC as my second machine but I don't have the faith that it will come out very soon (hopefully before Christmas) as it probably needs more software development than anything else that Apple will put out.
  • Reply 80 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by Silverdog

I would have liked a UMPC as my second machine but I don't have the faith that it will come out very soon (hopefully before Christmas) as it probably needs more software development than anything else that Apple will put out.

I will only obliquely mention what so many threads have already spoken to, only to say that Apple did the PDA right once, and that gives one faith that they'll do it right again. And you're right, that time it took them 6.5 years of R & D.

One big question this time is if it will be stylus or eMate-style.

--B