50 cent in talks with Apple over low-cost computers

Comments

• Reply 81 of 132
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Wow.

Nothing like a little generalization to bring out the accusations of racism and prejudice.

Lighten up ppl. It's all in good spirits and generalization is the only way to define anything (except me of course).
  • Reply 82 of 132
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

No, she doesn't do this. Whatever I may think of her otherwise.

And your parochial prejudice is hanging out. From what little you know of places other than your own.

Melgross,

Your original statement about bling and your response above are the type of statements I took exception to. People think about the things you are posting.
  • Reply 83 of 132
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Bling bling is for those who grew up so poor that they simply can't believe that they have money at all. So they show it off to prove to everyone (as well as themselves) that they really have made it.

Yup that's the exact origin.

I listen to 50 from time to time (not really a fan or anything but I listen to pretty much everything) and in a lot of his early music mixtapes and such you can hear him be genuinely happy to have money.

I swear to god things like "look at these stacks, i got money, i got money!"

I can't even blame them because to them it's like winning the lottery, except you can't walk around with your new huge house for everyone to see so they do it with ice.

The problem is when songs go to far and try to suggest it's drugs and violence and NOT rap that brought them all that money.

But everyone believe it or not there are less and less people saying garbage like that now. Instead now they say they manucature music like it was crack, the cook it up and sell it and get rich. Which unfortunately for black people like me isn't much better of a thing to say.

But if someone is reading in between the lines or paying real attention to lyrics you understand that, but most people don't and turn off their ears once they hear the name of a drug.
  • Reply 84 of 132
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    I think gangsta and bling have some roots in "the underpriveleged socio-economic strata" but these days its move into the mainstream means it's not always about being poor, or being in a violent inner-city neighbourhood, or stuff like that.

It has grown and spread into pop culture and with that taken on all sorts of weird and different meanings, symbols, impressions...
  • Reply 85 of 132
    Quote:

The hip-hop star who "put Lamborghini doors on that Es-co-lade"

Something tells me that Fiddy and Apple have different views on product design
  • Reply 86 of 132
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

Bling bling is for those who life in a country were showing of your wealth and bad taste is as important as carrying a gun and cultivating angst.

It's culture, look at Paris Hilton, Her Blingability is unbeaten and she knows how to spell it.

Paris Hilton knows how to spell? She only knows how to be a blonde, lose her addresses book, and get laid. Other than that she's a complete bimbo. Oh, and have a retarded crap show too.
  • Reply 87 of 132
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xsmi

Melgross,

Your original statement about bling and your response above are the type of statements I took exception to. People think about the things you are posting.

You can take exception to it if you like. But there has been a great deal written about this in magazines, AND, in sociology journals, as well as music mags that specialize in Gansta' Rap, and Hip Hop. The conclusion, even among those who are part of the "bling" culture have publically agreed with it. My statements merely reflect those bits of imformation.

And I hope that people think about what I post, even if they don't like it.

I don't know how much of the phenomena exists in Toledo Ohio, though I would think not much. But, here in NYC, it is a common thing to see on the street. This is where it originated, and there is plenty written about it.

Sometimes the truth isn't racist, it is merely the truth. Bling exists within a certain group of "stars". When you look at that group, you can do your own catagorizing. It has nothing to do with race itself, but it does have to do with certain individuals, and the street culture they come from, and are pandering to.

This arose from the "pimp look" that was popular in poorer parts of the city earlier. Those people, and those selling drugs were the ones making vast amounts of money, and flashing it with "pimpmobiles" fut coats, expensive watches, big diamond rings, girls on their arms, etc. The poor street kids found those people to be worth emulating.

When these music stars came from those areas, they too emulated that look, because their audience wanted them to, and it gave them "street cred".

You don't want to believe it? Fine, you don't have to. But, read up on it sometime.
  • Reply 88 of 132
    ahh i wanna bone paris hilton and buy the fiddy mac. 8)
  • Reply 89 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

I think gangsta and bling have some roots in "the underpriveleged socio-economic strata" but these days its move into the mainstream means it's not always about being poor, or being in a violent inner-city neighbourhood, or stuff like that.

It has grown and spread into pop culture and with that taken on all sorts of weird and different meanings, symbols, impressions...

These things often make it into the popular culture. But then it loses its uniquenss and becomes mainstream.

Look at another phenomenum. For several years, the sport shoe companies used to have vans go into the poor neighborhoods in the city, and give out the most expensive pairs of shoes to the poor kids.

When the middle class adults saw those shoes on those kids, they would go out and buy them.

Why? It's hard to tell, but the thought was that those kids had that "street cred" I mentioned earlier. The middle class guys didn't know that those shoes were given to those kids, so the thought that the shoes must really be great if those kids had spent all that money on them, I suppose.

That practice has died down as of late, but it was a phenom during the late '80's through at least the late '90's.
  • Reply 90 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

Paris Hilton knows how to spell? She only knows how to be a blonde, lose her addresses book, and get laid. Other than that she's a complete bimbo. Oh, and have a retarded crap show too.

Don't be fooled. That bimbo act, is an act.
  • Reply 91 of 132
    Quote:

Don't be fooled. That bimbo act, is an act.

All the more disturbing for being an act.
  • Reply 92 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

All the more disturbing for being an act.

Well, she's not the only blond that has had one. "Dumb blond" is a standard phrase, even though it means nothing. But, many girls have been raised to act dumb. Too bad that so many men around the world can't cope with smart women.

So, she has made a good deal on money off this. Who are the dumb ones?
  • Reply 93 of 132
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Look at another phenomenum. For several years, the sport shoe companies used to have vans go into the poor neighborhoods in the city, and give out the most expensive pairs of shoes to the poor kids.

My information is a bit different. Those shoe manufacturers gave their shoes to the neighborhood drug dealers. Following the fashion trends set by the drug dealers, the poor children bought their shoes.

But, to the point, every socioeconomic group has its own definition of luxury. For inner city youth, it might be expensive athletic shoes and glittery dental work. For Yuppies, it is any number of things. Starbucks coffee comes readily to mind. For people with a little more money, it is a house the size of a hotel.

The notion that this stuff isn't going on in Toledo, Ohio is just plain wrong. It goes on everywhere--be it Big City, Smalltown, USA, or Farm Land, Iowa.

The takeaway message here is that little is to be gained by discussing stereotypes. Most people in this country waste money. However, the American economy depends on it. If suddenly Americans started living within our means, the economy would collapse.
  • Reply 94 of 132
    Quote:

Well, she's not the only blond that has had one. "Dumb blond" is a standard phrase, even though it means nothing. But, many girls have been raised to act dumb. Too bad that so many men around the world can't cope with smart women.

So, she has made a good deal on money off this. Who are the dumb ones?

The ones that buy into her act, feed her wallet, and to a degree her and those like her for perpetuating the problem. "That's the way it is, I might as well capitalize on it" is the adolescent viewpoint, "This is a problem, how do I work against it" is the adult viewpoint.

And without further information, 50 cent's campaign to get Macs into inner cities may very well be a solid effort to change some priorities in inner cities?or reinforce the majority that want their kids to have a solid background?and if so, kudos.
  • Reply 95 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

My information is a bit different. Those shoe manufacturers gave their shoes to the neighborhood drug dealers. Following the fashion trends set by the drug dealers, the poor children bought their shoes.

Well, no. It's been pretty well known what was going on. No drug dealers were involved.

Quote:

But, to the point, every socioeconomic group has its own definition of luxury. For inner city youth, it might be expensive athletic shoes and glittery dental work. For Yuppies, it is any number of things. Starbucks coffee comes readily to mind. For people with a little more money, it is a house the size of a hotel.

The notion that this stuff isn't going on in Toledo, Ohio is just plain wrong. It goes on everywhere--be it Big City, Smalltown, USA, or Farm Land, Iowa.

The takeaway message here is that little is to be gained by discussing stereotypes. Most people in this country waste money. However, the American economy depends on it. If suddenly Americans started living within our means, the economy would collapse.

That's true in every developed country. But, this a very specal group of people, most all are involved in the music business, and most are somehow involved with RAP and Hip Hop.
  • Reply 96 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

The ones that buy into her act, feed her wallet, and to a degree her and those like her for perpetuating the problem. "That's the way it is, I might as well capitalize on it" is the adolescent viewpoint, "This is a problem, how do I work against it" is the adult viewpoint.

And without further information, 50 cent's campaign to get Macs into inner cities may very well be a solid effort to change some priorities in inner cities?or reinforce the majority that want their kids to have a solid background?and if so, kudos.

Yes to both points.
  • Reply 97 of 132
    Maybe Apple will sponsor a "50 cent across america" concert series in Best Buys all over the country to promote Apple BB sales channel and the new "Mac50's." Though of course there will be that tenth of a percent of customers that will have to be told that, no, a Mac50 is not an upgrade to the Mac-10.
  • Reply 98 of 132
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Lock this fucking thread already.

This place is turning into macrumors.com.
  • Reply 99 of 132
    What? A </sarcasm> tag was needed?

No, no, I don't think so.

It's a strange story without all the facts wilco, and some of us at least are having light hearted fun with it.

Chill the frig out.
  • Reply 100 of 132
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Heh. It was user SpamSandwich's lighthearted suggestion that started the prediction way back. So lighthearted fun IS good.

It's better here, I like Ai because I can be silly without having to use macrumors.com forums where there are over a hundred posts just as silly as me. Most people on Ai are not so silly so it's a good mix on Ai.

Yeah, wilco, chill the frack out.

BTW, Apple + BestBuy + 50Cent + special offer on 50Cent G-Unit Sneakers = Good Times for All. Get MarketShare Or Die Tryin.