50 cent in talks with Apple over low-cost computers

Comments

• Reply 101 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Heh. It was user SpamSandwich's lighthearted suggestion that started the prediction way back. So lighthearted fun IS good.

It's better here, I like Ai because I can be silly without having to use macrumors.com forums where there are over a hundred posts just as silly as me. Most people on Ai are not so silly so it's a good mix on Ai.

Yeah, wilco, chill the frack out.

BTW, Apple + BestBuy + 50Cent + special offer on 50Cent G-Unit Sneakers = Good Times for All. Get MarketShare Or Die Tryin.

• Reply 102 of 132
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    50 cent seemms to be improving everything but the rap world
  • Reply 103 of 132
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Well, no. It's been pretty well known what was going on. No drug dealers were involved.

Yes, there were.

Quote:

That's true in every developed country. But, this a very specal group of people, most all are involved in the music business, and most are somehow involved with RAP and Hip Hop.

What is a very special group of people?
  • Reply 104 of 132
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    Quote:

Well, no. It's been pretty well known what was going on. No drug dealers were involved.

That's true in every developed country. But, this a very specal group of people, most all are involved in the music business, and most are somehow involved with RAP and Hip Hop.

Although, I think we can agree that it is most over the top in rap, and hip hop, I cannot agree that in music it is most in rap. Watch vh1 for a week and you will see what I mean.
  • Reply 105 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

50 cent seemms to be improving everything but the rap world

It's going to take more than him to do that.
  • Reply 106 of 132
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Yes, there were.[/B]

Well, you can state that if you like, but if you show where you read that it would be more interesting. That certainly wasn't the intention. Reebok was a client of mine at the time, and they didn't do that.

Quote:

What is a very special group of people? [/B]

I described that already, please read back.

• Reply 107 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by xsmi

Although, I think we can agree that it is most over the top in rap, and hip hop, I cannot agree that in music it is most in rap. Watch vh1 for a week and you will see what I mean.

I also did say that these things move into the mainstrean eventually. That is starting to happen.
  • Reply 108 of 132
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Well, you can state that if you like, but if you show where you read that it would be more interesting. That certainly wasn't the intention. Reebok was a client of mine at the time, and they didn't do that.

I won't comment on your client's direct actions, but the neighborhood retail shoe stores most certainly provided complimentary shoes to the local drug dealers. And it was their intention.

Quote:

I also did say that these things move into the mainstrean eventually. That is starting to happen.

Starting?! You don't get out much, do you?
  • Reply 109 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

I won't comment on your client's direct actions, but the neighborhood retail shoe stores most certainly provided complimentary shoes to the local drug dealers. And it was their intention.

Starting?! You don't get out much, do you?

Now you are talking about local shoe stores. I don't know what the local store might do, but it certainly wouldn't be authorized by the shoe company. These vans were not shoe store vans, they were owned by the shoe companies themselves.

As for your second remark, all I can say is: Very funny!
  • Reply 110 of 132
    carlgocarlgo Posts: 1member
    A ghetto emac would be like government cheese. It might be ok, but nobody would want one. I see a very cool, very portable tablet sort of device that would be inexpensive only because of its limited specs. I see all the cool hip hop kids hanging out and communicating, even with those standing right next to them. I see rich rappers paying for WiFi in their chosen neighborhoods. I see every kid in the world wanting these. I see buying stock and getting rich.

Oh, there could be a detachable screen for more convenient use at home for actually doing homework and all. You really don't need much power and speed for that.
  • Reply 111 of 132
    I would just like to see a no frills $399 package. That is what I am seein parents buy in these neighborhoods. It doesn't have to be the most powerful computer just cheap. Oh and complete (monitor, cpu, keyboard, mouse).
  • Reply 112 of 132
    Something like this:

Dimension B110 Date 6/24/2006 5:56:22 PM Central Standard Time Catalog Number 29 Retail 19 Catalog Number / Description Product Code SKU Id

Dimension B110: Intel® Celeron® D Processor 325 (2.53 GHz, 533 FSB) WB325H [221-9758] 1

Operating System: Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition

Memory: 256MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz 256

Hard Drive: 80GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive 80

CD or DVD Drive: Single Drive: 48x CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive

Floppy Drive: No Floppy Drive Included

Monitors: 17 inch E773 (16 inch viewable) Conventional CRT E773

Video Cards: Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2

Sound: Integrated 2.0 Channel Audio IS

Dell sells this basic box for $349 today before a $50 Reabte. I think there is another thread on this board about apple offering a basic box. I do know I read a headline this week at lowend mac about whether it is time for Apple to offer a basic machine. I say it is past time. This should have been the first intel mac to be inroduced. It should have also been released with boot camp or parallels standard. I think there would have finallly been a bump in marketshare with that release.
  • Reply 113 of 132
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I don't know how often it needs to be stressed that Apple will hopefully NEVER do something as evil as selling a Netburst CPU.
  • Reply 114 of 132
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    256mb ram is WAY to small for any decent OS X experience. Gotta be 512mb minimum, IMHO.
  • Reply 115 of 132
    Quote:

256mb ram is WAY to small for any decent OS X experience. Gotta be 512mb minimum, IMHO.

I agree.
  • Reply 116 of 132
    Quote:

It's really not enough for XP either.

The interesting part is that those looking at the Vista beta are saying that at least 1GB is required for the Vista experience.

What's even better is game sites have found that many games don't play as well as they should until 2GB is added (rubs hands in glee!). Maybe when it's out they will stop looking at us with those smirks.
  • Reply 117 of 132
    Quote:

Yeah it is but you are missing the point. The point is the price. We don't have a mac near that price with everything included. Until we do we will still be looked at as over priced. I don't think this machine is for most of us on this board, unless we are looking for a second machine for a small child who has an xBox360 in his bedroom. All s/he needs it for is WP, email and the like. Personally I would like to see a minimum of 512 but to keep it in a basement price 256 will probably be what it ships with and make a little money on add ons. Dell gave me three oppurtunities to upgrade this machine before they would give me a summary of it's specs 256mb is definately not enough.
  • Reply 118 of 132
    I would argue that Apple is not really after the customer that considers the price more important than the functionality. Which is not to say having cheaper Macs is out of the question?I'm just saying that Apple would have to build the machine with a DVD burner and 512MB RAM and price accordingly to not dilute their brand with what essentially would be new customers.

Is it worth the goodwill to build these machines and subsidize them a bit to catch the right price point? Probably. Apple earned a lot of brand equity with their Apple IIs in education.
  • Reply 119 of 132
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by melgross

What's even better is game sites have found that many games don't play as well as they should until 2GB is added (rubs hands in glee!). Maybe when it's out they will stop looking at us with those smirks.

Chasing Gaming hardware on PC has taken me to a dark, dark expensive place I don't want to be at. However.... I've got a year old system now, but with the right research and overclocking heatsinks and 1GB Half Life 2, Half Life 2 episode 1, LOTR: Battle For Middle Earth 2, NFS: Most Wanted... It makes it all worth it.

Vista requiring 1GB is bollocks. And I just don't get Dells all coming "standard" with 256mb ram and then maybe. *maybe* when you buy it you'd choose the free upgrade to 512mb instead of a DVD-writer or somethin'.
  • Reply 120 of 132
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

I would argue that Apple is not really after the customer that considers the price more important than the functionality. Which is not to say having cheaper Macs is out of the question?I'm just saying that Apple would have to build the machine with a DVD burner and 512MB RAM and price accordingly to not dilute their brand with what essentially would be new customers.

Yes. Exactly my point that Apple will NOT release from this point onwards any machine with 256mb ram. Apple cannot play in the "easily affordable" price zone. They would only do it, as some have alluded to, if it buys mindshare, eg. education deals, or maybe special projects.

Apple has worked quite hard to get, like, iBook contracts with edu markets. They should continue to push that, IMHO, "special projects" such as inner-city/ non-profit/ etc etc. I don't think Steve would be into that.