When will Apple announce new hardware?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Um, what?

The X1600's really good for a midrange. While I'd like to see an X1900 as an option, 99.9% of the target market for iMacs (which I'm assuming excludes you) doesn't give a shit.

That, my friend, is your opinion. You know what opinions are like...

Options are good.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Looprumors is NEVER right.

Apple may announce new Mac Pro's as early as next tuesday. August is way too late to make a PR splash.

D-Day is monday folks. Woodcrest is nigh. Apple may indeed wait until August but the response from the world at large will be "what took you so long"

I was looking for this thread and I am surprised that there isn't more talk about next Tuesday. I think the Apple rumor mill hasn't picked up the Intel clock yet. Apple no longer controls the release of chips and Apple is on Intel time. Apple is even using Intel for motherboard support to help keep on Intel time.

Is there some technology that everybody expects in the next Mac Pro that isn't available on Monday?

I think a Quad replacement with both G5 and Intel being sold at the same time for users who run a lot of Adobe.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    MiMac, as it happens, the X1600 does a fair job, I don't call playing BF2 at max an easy feat. You can't expect a £800 iMac to come with a £300 card (X1800 upwards). I'm afraid you sir, are living in a fantasy world.

• Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

That, my friend, is your opinion. You know what opinions are like...

Options are good.

Options are good. But sweeping statements like, "the iMac absolutely needs a better graphics card" are silly, because the X1600 is a great card.

Because not only is that only your opinion, it's pretty much unfeasible considering Apple's opinion on profits.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I hope it's this coming Tuesday so I have more summer to base around raising the prerequisite $3,000.

What they could do is announce it on Tuesday and then explain in the WWDC keynote that they're taking a more aggressive approach to the workstation market and will be at the forefront from this point on.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I hope it's this coming Tuesday so I have more summer to base around raising the prerequisite $3,000.

What they could do is announce it on Tuesday and then explain in the WWDC keynote that they're taking a more aggressive approach to the workstation market and will be at the forefront from this point on.

Agreed that they will stress staying at the forefront of the market in workstations and WWDC will introduce Leopard. However as long as we are discussing future hardware, why not speculate on a 'new' device. There are still those LV Intel chips that aren't in an Apple device yet and they are right up Steve's alley, quiet, low power and portable. WWDC is a good place for getting people prepared for different hardware. (There isn't much new in a Workstation, just bigger, faster and very desirable.)

Edit: I see that this speculation is already rampant on another thread started by an article on June 14th.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Isn't there a Mobo issue for the Mac Pro? As in, the motherboard that'd be perfect doesn't come out until August or July? Unless they're building their own, which is also likely.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

... you sir, are living in a fantasy world.

You don't wanna know what my fantasies are...
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

Isn't there a Mobo issue for the Mac Pro? As in, the motherboard that'd be perfect doesn't come out until August or July? Unless they're building their own, which is also likely.

Intel has a mobo for the chip and here is even a pre-release product with a dual core Xeon and an Intel 5000X motherboard on a competitors website.

http://www.boxxtech.com/products/8300.asp

There may be an even better motherboard in the future but I doubt Apple jumped on the Intel bandwagon to ride at the back. (Remember Yikes.)

Even if there is a constrained chip supply I bet Apple has some clauses about access to chips. I'm sure others have already speculated but I will add that this may be another reason for Dell starting up with AMD.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Personally, I think it's the other way around. Dell was looking at AMD for a while, and has been continually threatening Intel and MS with AMD and Red Hat for years. I guess Apple's good deal was Intel's back-up against Dell splitting purchases with AMD. This way, Intel keeps one all-Intel OEM (Gateway owns eMachines, which does AMD). Additionally, Intel trades the largest seller with the one most able to use all it's features. How long do you think it'd take Dell to use Virtualization tech or EFI in it's computers? Intel was constrained by what Windows will support. Apple will support whatever new stuff Intel offers.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    People, people...

You are being very hard on this guy. There is a clear answer to the question:

"The day after you buy one."

David
  • Reply 32 of 48
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMacfan

People, people...

You are being very hard on this guy. There is a clear answer to the question:

"The day after you buy one."

David

And the Brit wins.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

D-Day is monday folks. Woodcrest is nigh. Apple may indeed wait until August but the response from the world at large will be "what took you so long"

What took so long? What took sooooo long? Adobe. Adobe everything. Not one Adobe tool will run worth a spit on an intel mac until next spring. Apple full well knows that they have to split the difference in time between now and then with something new and fast, but also compatible with the real world pros live in. Apple needs to sell PowerPC until then.

I have outfit an entire creative department with macs this summer and I don't know what to do. I'm screwed, I have to buy slow end of life machines when I know that blazing core duo machines are coming--only to have software that won't work. Apple really needs to ship one more upgrade of a powerPC machine if Adobe can't step it up.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by futuretheory9

What took so long? What took sooooo long? Adobe. Adobe everything. Not one Adobe tool will run worth a spit on an intel mac until next spring. Apple full well knows that they have to split the difference in time between now and then with something new and fast, but also compatible with the real world pros live in. Apple needs to sell PowerPC until then.

I have outfit an entire creative department with macs this summer and I don't know what to do. I'm screwed, I have to buy slow end of life machines when I know that blazing core duo machines are coming--only to have software that won't work. Apple really needs to ship one more upgrade of a powerPC machine if Adobe can't step it up.

What about a price cut on a Quad? Isn't that pretty blazing fast, still?

On another topic: there's plenty of justification for Apple to go ahead and release Mac Pros, despite Adobe dragging its feet. Those reasons: Shake 4.1, and all other Apple pro software (FCP, Motion, Logic?) works on Intel Macs natively, and requires just as much (if not more) processing power as Photoshop.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Dude, you SO need to pull your head out of y?

Whoa! Don't want to be rude?!

;^p

So, have you actually TRIED out Adobe products on a new Intel iMac yet??!?

Or are you just assuming that they 'won't work'??

Did you forget about Rosetta? So, obviously, they WILL work, just not at native speeds?

But I would be willing to be a new Intel MacPro running Adobe apps under Rosetta will run just as fast as an IBM G5 PowerMac running PPC native Adobe apps?

And when the Adobe apps are finally made into UBs, fuggetaboutit?!

So suck it up and quit being a naysayer?!

(funny how the noobs always are the whiners?)

;^p
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Dude, you SO need to pull your head out of y?

Whoa! Don't want to be rude?!

;^p

So, have you actually TRIED out Adobe products on a new Intel iMac yet??!?

Or are you just assuming that they 'won't work'??

Did you forget about Rosetta? So, obviously, they WILL work, just not at native speeds?

But I would be willing to be a new Intel MacPro running Adobe apps under Rosetta will run just as fast as an IBM G5 PowerMac running PPC native Adobe apps?

And when the Adobe apps are finally made into UBs, fuggetaboutit?!

So suck it up and quit being a naysayer?!

(funny how the noobs always are the whiners?)

;^p

I wasn't intending to be rude, like you just were, but trying illustrate that the Adobe issue is a very big problem right now. Please read my message again and you will understand that I'm NOT a noob and have surely been using Mac, indeed computers as long as anyone on this list. (noob to this site perhaps). I own one of the top creative agencies in the country and work with real world problems everyday.

Have I even tried? I HAVE a macbook. I also have 2 of the new intel iMacs, which are fine for intern stations right now and great learners for the Apple pro software and can get by with Rosetta for very low-end production. After Effects and Illustrator, just isn't workable. I have not personally tried InDesign yet (as I have a couple other things to do, like say, keeping my business running). I haven't tried Acrobat, I tend to use Preview. I hope that's ok for you, coming from a naysaying noob and all.... Especially the ones that "whine" about a very serious challenge that many of us are facing (if Apple hears my whining that might keep PowerPCs in production a little longer and a little cheaper, Adobe might get UB Creative Suite and After Effects out a little sooner.)

You are so obviously a noob in life, you put your blind trust in things like Rossetta, treat people with zero respect and make assumptions about what they know then go on to accuse them of "assuming". The only thing that I can safely assume is that you're about 12 with special challenges, so I won't be rude.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

What about a price cut on a Quad? Isn't that pretty blazing fast, still?

On another topic: there's plenty of justification for Apple to go ahead and release Mac Pros, despite Adobe dragging its feet. Those reasons: Shake 4.1, and all other Apple pro software (FCP, Motion, Logic?) works on Intel Macs natively, and requires just as much (if not more) processing power as Photoshop.

Agreed, I plan to buy a mac pro specifically for a video editing station. That, at least, I'm pretty excited about. I'll be able to move the older G5 that's there now into a designers hands, but the new designers I'm hiring this summer are going to getting by with really old stuff, maybe a few ebay G5's or some short-term leases until we get CS3 and after effects.

All I can say is buy Apple stock right before Adobe releases next year, there are a lot of people in this position. We've been discussing on the pro sites, but there isn't answer. Sucking it up means buying about $60K of immediately obsolete gear for me.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

? blah blah blah ?

Actually, I am 39 years old, and I deal with app performance under emulation vs. native each and every day at the architectural firm I work with?

And I still stand by my statements, I still think you are selling the Intel MacPros short, even without testing one out yet?

Noob?!

;^p
  • Reply 39 of 48
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i remember seeing a website that gives advice on whether to buy or not buy an apple product....does anyone have the web site??? that helped me some time ago when i got my wife's ibook g4
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Actually, I am 39 years old, and I deal with app performance under emulation vs. native each and every day at the architectural firm I work with?

And I still stand by my statements, I still think you are selling the Intel MacPros short, even without testing one out yet?

Noob?!

;^p

Well you obviously aren't very good at your research, but I never did think architecture companies could hire techies very well. Since you don't believe me and the 10K I've already spent on intel macs, other people are writing about it as well:

http://www.creativemac.com/articles/...e.jsp?id=39065

Now that I've done your job, you're very welcome. Sorry I can't help with your reading problem, but I can tell you that I never sold the intel macs short, in fact I love them--which is why I can't stand the fact that I have to buy an older PowerPC just to get work done in Adobe apps. Sorry to whine, I'm sure everyone is sick of it. I just didn't plan on dealing with such an idiot this evening.