Intel unleashes Mac-bound "Woodcrest" server chip

Comments

• Reply 161 of 565
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    This was just on a single 1.8GHz G5 with a 9800 Pro and 1.5GB of RAM. The point is, it was being done quite a lot quicker with GPU shaders than by CPU, even for the 2056 x 1600 images I used.
  • Reply 162 of 565
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

It's properly designed 2D apps that can benefit heftily from these cards. Have you ever played around in Core Image Funhouse with a 9800 or better graphics card? Compared to performing the same blurs and distortions in Photoshop or Fireworks, it's ridiculously fast. Literally as fast as you can drag the blur slider.

My understanding is that it's good for previews, but it's not good enough to commit for inclusion into the final output. I think that's why Final Cut and iMovie use it to preview but still require rendering through the CPU.
  • Reply 163 of 565
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

My understanding is that it's good for previews, but it's not good enough to commit for inclusion into the final output. I think that's why Final Cut and iMovie use it to preview but still require rendering through the CPU.

Wrong.
  • Reply 164 of 565
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Wrong.

If I am wrong, please do a better job explaining why I am wrong.
  • Reply 165 of 565
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

You're the one that's claiming "it's not good enough to commit for inclusion into the final output"...the burden of proof is on you.
  • Reply 166 of 565
    Quote:

You're the one that's claiming "it's not good enough to commit for inclusion into the final output"...the burden of proof is on you.

I'm not trying to prove anything, if I'm wrong, I'd like to know why. All I have is that it's from an audio interview with a Final Cut plug-in developer that said that sometimes the output is sometimes slightly unpredictable and not as good from a professional quality standpoint. I don't even know how I can dig that up. I think it makes sense given how long it takes to render video when the preview is done in real time.
  • Reply 167 of 565
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by doh123

I wish people would stop using rumored names to call machines. The name Mac Pro is stupid as hell, so lets stop calling it that until if/when its official. There is no proof they will call it that yet. And for those that claim its proof because of the trademark filing on "Mac Pro" well thats just one of hundreds of names that have been filed by apple and never used yet.

Ever think that they dont want other people using "Mac Pro" for other reasons than a computer name?

I vote for MacTower and MacTower Pro...

i just get annoyed when people keep using "Mac Pro" so much.

Mac Pro may not be the best name but is much better than your ideas, i'm sorry to say
  • Reply 168 of 565
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

Mac Pro may not be the best name but is much better than your ideas, i'm sorry to say

I bet that they will just call the damn thing "sex". It may attract the Aleinware buyers, they have never had "sex"!
  • Reply 169 of 565
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Wrong.

He's actually right; on some effects (represented by orange bars in the Final Cut Pro timeline) can be previewed but require final processing for full quality prior.

Quote:

Hush, it's just that he hasn't deemed you worthy of a full response.
  • Reply 170 of 565
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by a_greer

I bet that they will just call the damn thing "sex". It may attract the Aleinware buyers, they have never had "sex"!

They have (well think about) alien sex and fantasise more about 3d-generated attractive women than real women
  • Reply 171 of 565
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by doh123

I wish people would stop using rumored names to call machines. The name Mac Pro is stupid as hell, so lets stop calling it that until if/when its official...I vote for MacTower and MacTower Pro...

Dude, unfortunately MacTower and MacTower Pro are the most ridiculous names I have heard of suggested. Highly un-Apple like. I say let's stick to Mac Pro until something better/ official comes out, and I say let's stick to Conroe and Woodcrest until Intel's naming makes sense [Core 2 Duo/ Extreme Core Xeon WTF Core this Core that].

edit:

Well, at least I will stick to Yonah, Merom, Conroe and Woodcrest. All the Intel Core designations make my brain hurt. And to me, Xeon is an ugly, dirty word. A Woodcrest-Xserve sounds delicious. but "Xserve-now driven by Xeon" - makes me sad.
  • Reply 172 of 565
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by JeffDM

...All I have is that it's from an audio interview with a Final Cut plug-in developer that said that sometimes the output is sometimes slightly unpredictable and not as good from a professional quality standpoint. I don't even know how I can dig that up. I think it makes sense given how long it takes to render video when the preview is done in real time.

Good enough for most of us If KimKapSol wants more proof he can call up Apple or kidnap an Apple developer to interrogate*.

*Imagine KimKapSol with Apple developer in dark room, single table lamp shining at Apple developer strapped up to lie detector and electro-shock device.

"Are you an Apple developer?"

YES

[Ding!]

"Do you work on Final Cut and iMovie?"

YES

[Ding!]

"Do you own an Alienware PC"

OF COURSE NOT

BZZZTZTTTTTTT!!!

ARGHH! OKAY OKAY I DO OWN AN ALIENWARE

[Ding!]

"Am I a cool guy?"

UMMM... YES?

BZZZTZTTTTTTT!!!

• Reply 173 of 565
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Hey I own an alienware dork, and it's an awesome machine. The reason I got it is because they offered all the stuff I needed when Apple wasn't and they still don't offer a lot it's features - yet.

BTW, I'm still hoping they call it PimpZilla!!!!
  • Reply 174 of 565
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Wrong.

No, he was perfectly correct.
  • Reply 175 of 565
    Hmm... I'm playing around with a 7500x7500 pixel image in Photoshop on PC. I'm taking screenshots of google map tiles and making one big map. Zooming in and out and moving certain tiles around (each tile is just less than 1280x1024) things are pretty fluid. Saving and loading is what takes time as it writes the whole 24bit-color file, sometimes with layers, to disk.

I'm wondering how much of the fluidity is the Athlon64 Venice 2.15ghz and how much is the nVidia 6600GT 128mb DDR3 VRAM.

We seem to have only touched the surface in looking at Photoshop operations* and the engineering on PC and Mac, on the weighting of CPU vs GPU.

*Obviously operations and previews are CPU-driven, GPU roles are more on the display of the image and panning around a high-res file.
  • Reply 176 of 565
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

I'm wondering how much of the fluidity is the Athlon64 Venice 2.15ghz and how much is the nVidia 6600GT 128mb DDR3 VRAM.

The graphics card has virtually no effect.

Quote:

*Obviously operations and previews are CPU-driven, GPU roles are more on the display of the image and panning around a high-res file.

No, not even that. The GPU just gets a bunch of lines and blits them on the screen. It doesn't do any of the handling.
  • Reply 177 of 565
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Hmm... I'm playing around with a 7500x7500 pixel image in Photoshop on PC. I'm taking screenshots of google map tiles and making one big map. Zooming in and out and moving certain tiles around (each tile is just less than 1280x1024) things are pretty fluid. Saving and loading is what takes time as it writes the whole 24bit-color file, sometimes with layers, to disk.

We seem to have only touched the surface in looking at Photoshop operations* and the engineering on PC and Mac, on the weighting of CPU vs GPU.

All your computations are in 2 dimensions, maybe even one. I don't think much of it calls to the GPU if any.
  • Reply 178 of 565
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

All your computations are in 2 dimensions, maybe even one

hmmmmm...

A PSD with zero hight?
  • Reply 179 of 565
    That's kind of like the "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it did it really fall?"... "if a photoshop file is made with zero height does it really exist?" - remember zero height not 1 pixel high. Actually gar - a 1D PSD is 1pixel high and x pixels wide.
  • Reply 180 of 565
    gar and sunilraman may want to read more closely:

Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

All your computations are in 2 dimensions, maybe even one.

That refers to computations applied to image data, not to the images themselves.