Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.7 Update

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 180
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

No, it's just more silliness. Incorrect math doesn't help incoherent philosophy.

... or the lack of sarcasm tags.
  • Reply 162 of 180
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

... or the lack of sarcasm tags.

That's assuming that it WAS meant to be sarcastic. I mean, on Franks part. What I notice is that many remarks seem serious, until they are ridiculed, and then the poster claims that they were sarcastic. Sometimes, I have my doubts.
  • Reply 163 of 180
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

That's assuming that it WAS meant to be sarcastic. I mean, on Franks part. What I notice is that many remarks seem serious, until they are ridiculed, and then the poster claims that they were sarcastic. Sometimes, I have my doubts.

I assure you that I was being absolutely sarcastic. It's the only way to deal with the Evil Obscurantism brought forth by Academic Singularity.

Frank, on the other hand ... \
  • Reply 164 of 180
    franksargentfranksargent Posts: 4,694member
    Quote:

No, I don't really want to be on anyone's ignore list (yes to sarcastic). In fact if you do put someone on your list a header of their message still shows up. WTF, curiosity got the cat, and I can't help but read those messages. So perhaps if the messages were omitted entirely from the threads, than I might find it slightly useful.

Yes, I knew that the cliche "If it's broke, fix it" was a bit of a paradox or conundrum, since it's not obvious from casual use how stable or fit your system is. And, I did have the expectation that someone would comment on that statment, believe it or not (it was a truthful statement).

I will say that back in the 10.2.8 days I did all the various things that you all have recommended AND more (to go from 10.2.0 system disks to the 10.2.8 combo updater + other SW parts, I had to have an EXACT order of installation of system components to get a stable OS (i. e. no kernel panics), this was a very laborious and time consuming trial and error process).

I do think things have improved in the update process and stability of the OS since that time, hopefully this situation will improve even more in the future, if some of the things you guys have suggested are incorporated into the Software Update mechanism. I guess I'm just used to the old *NIX days where those systems were stable for what seemed like eternity (i. e. at least several years and several update cycles). It always bothered me that I didn't have a truly stable OS until 10.2.8 given that it was *NIX under the hood.

• Reply 165 of 180
    Hey, I'm just wondering how many people with problems changed a system file/applied a hack/third party patch to their system at anytime and then ran the SW update
  • Reply 166 of 180
    Quote:

Originally posted by mnm2004bft

Hey, I'm just wondering how many people with problems changed a system file/applied a hack/third party patch to their system at anytime and then ran the SW update

That was one of the problems I posted. Yes, I did. The update removed some parts of the hack installs, and the programs either didn't show up, of failed to work. In one case, I forget which now, I would get a kernel panic everytime I started up, unless I started in safe mode, which was how I found the problem and eliminated it.
  • Reply 167 of 180
    Quote:

That was one of the problems I posted. Yes, I did. The update removed some parts of the hack installs, and the programs either didn't show up, of failed to work. In one case, I forget which now, I would get a kernel panic everytime I started up, unless I started in safe mode, which was how I found the problem and eliminated it.

Thanks for the reply.

So in this case, for anyone who has changed a system file/applied a hack/applied a third party patch to their system, it would be best for them to do a Combo Update since it overrides all files?

I'm really interested in hear from other people who had problems. Thanks
  • Reply 168 of 180
    Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

So in this case, for anyone who has changed a system file/applied a hack/applied a third party patch to their system, it would be best for them to do a Combo Update since it overrides all files?

I'm really interested in hear from other people who had problems. Thanks

Yes, that helps a lot.

Remember that Apple has always said that if you move a program or a file, or if you rename something, it might not be seen, and may not be updated. as some files require other files to be updated for them to work properly, this can cause problems as well.
  • Reply 169 of 180
    Quote:

Yes, that helps a lot.

Remember that Apple has always said that if you move a program or a file, or if you rename something, it might not be seen, and may not be updated. as some files require other files to be updated for them to work properly, this can cause problems as well.

Yeah, I was just trying to see if that was the case because I added the two finger - right click hack on my Macbook Pro and brought my friend's Macbook Pro which had not been tampered with by the hack and we both did the software update, side by side. My Macbook Pro experienced problems while on the other hand, my friend's update ran quite smoothly. I lost complete trackpad functionality on my Macbook Pro and my friend had to fix it for me by putting back a backup image for me. Perhaps this counts for everything else?
  • Reply 170 of 180
    Quote:

Yeah, I was just trying to see if that was the case because I added the two finger - right click hack on my Macbook Pro and brought my friend's Macbook Pro which had not been tampered with by the hack and we both did the software update, side by side. My Macbook Pro experienced problems while on the other hand, my friend's update ran quite smoothly. I lost complete trackpad functionality on my Macbook Pro and my friend had to fix it for me by putting back a backup image for me. Perhaps this counts for everything else?

That was a good example.
  • Reply 171 of 180
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Deep sleep [Hibernate] hack seems untouched, just to reiterate. And also Screen Spanning hack [iBook] should still work, although I have yet to confirm this. Weird that your trackpad hack got fuX0red by the update.
  • Reply 172 of 180
    Quote:

Originally posted by user23

did this work for anyone who has intalled the 10.4.7 update?

It did, but I lost the ability to connect my Canon Powershot camera. Just re-installed 10.4.7 and everything is back to normal now (including the processor sounds).
  • Reply 173 of 180
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Well, Karma has come round to bite me in the a$$. I found one of those notorious "invalid sibling link" (google it if you want to see the pain it causes) on Verify hard disk.

So as part of disaster recovery testing (I was/am confident of my backups) I wiped the HD (main solution for invalid sibling problems) and reinstalled 10.4.0. BIG PROBLEM. It would not read the *ahem* pirated 10.4 DVD properly. It used to read it fine a while back and through one or two reinstalls, but today, no go.

So I'll probably hang out on the 10.3.9 (original CDs with iBook are 10.3.0) side of the fence for a while... And then maybe get a legit copy of Leopard or something. Sigh.
  • Reply 174 of 180
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
  • Reply 175 of 180
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Well, Karma has come round to bite me in the a$$. I found one of those notorious "invalid sibling link" (google it if you want to see the pain it causes) on Verify hard disk.

So as part of disaster recovery testing (I was/am confident of my backups) I wiped the HD (main solution for invalid sibling problems) and reinstalled 10.4.0. BIG PROBLEM. It would not read the *ahem* pirated 10.4 DVD properly. It used to read it fine a while back and through one or two reinstalls, but today, no go.

So I'll probably hang out on the 10.3.9 (original CDs with iBook are 10.3.0) side of the fence for a while... And then maybe get a legit copy of Leopard or something. Sigh.

naughty, naughty boy! serve you right for using pirated software. Seriously though, I generally buy a legit copy of every other OS release from Apple. When I graduate and get a source of income, I'll probably buy every one since Apple does price them reasonably.

Windows and Office-->Forget it. I'm not buying that overpriced piece o' crap.
  • Reply 176 of 180
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by meelash

Windows and Office-->Forget it. I'm not buying that overpriced piece o' crap.

Don't buy it, don't use it. Simple as that.
  • Reply 177 of 180
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

I can't believe you openly admitted that sunil. At least purchase one lefit tiger cd.
  • Reply 178 of 180
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Deep sleep [Hibernate] hack seems untouched, just to reiterate.

It still works, but I had to re-run the command. And moving to hibernate seems to be a little slower.

Why is Apple hiding this feature anyway?