iMac... Gateway style

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by a_greer

    You want an abomination, you should see the older Profiles, they have been trying to rip off the iMac since ~1999, and I have some old PC Mag issues in the closet, if anyone is interested and I get time and a server, I could scan and share...



    Update: forget the scans...I will lookup the models in Google images and provice links...



    Profile 1(iirc)(circa 1999, not too bad for 1999 hardware, but it has been down hill since)

    Profile 2 (the poor lamp iMac was in a head on colision!)

    Profile 3 (direct from the farm!)

    Profile 4 (not 'too' bad, but I wouldnt be caught dead buying one!)

    Profile 5 (10 paces back for every step forward in logical design)

    And as we all know, the 6 is no let down in the trend of a more disgusting, stupid design with each rev.




    That's weird. The latest iteration is by far the worst of the lot. At least the earlier models look like they got a second year design student to make some sketches.



    This thing looks like..... actually, I don't know what it looks like. I can't figure out how an actual company would actually make this. it's just a random collision of parts, roughly in the necessary shape to hold a monitor up and not fall over.



    Wait, I do know what it looks like-- like a 6th grade class was given a project to make an "all-in-one computer" out of stuff from the craft closet-- cardboard, a shoe box, some foam core, and poster board. And hot glue. Lots and lots of hot glue.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Ives has his work cut out for him when he designs the next iMac.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:

    Originally posted by troberts

    Ives has his work cut out for him when he designs the next iMac.



    Look's like he has a chance to pick up some side work.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    It reminds me slightly of a computer from Star Trek: The next generation
  • Reply 25 of 35
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Nah, TNG had good design for its time, and some of its ideas were ironically way ahead.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Yeah, looks more like TOS, where they were literally cobbling things together from odds and ends.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    lakingsfnlakingsfn Posts: 141member
    I think my IQ just dropped a couple of notches just looking at the thing.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    holy shite! Is that for real?



    it looks like something you'd stick .50 cents in at the bus station to watch 15 minutes of t.v. on.



    "Its unique design is streamlined, simple and clutter-free..."
  • Reply 29 of 35
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by a_greer

    You want an abomination, you should see the older Profiles, they have been trying to rip off the iMac since ~1999, and I have some old PC Mag issues in the closet, if anyone is interested and I get time and a server, I could scan and share...



    Update: forget the scans...I will lookup the models in Google images and provice links...



    Profile 1(iirc)(circa 1999, not too bad for 1999 hardware, but it has been down hill since)

    Profile 2 (the poor lamp iMac was in a head on colision!)

    Profile 3 (direct from the farm!)

    Profile 4 (not 'too' bad, but I wouldnt be caught dead buying one!)

    Profile 5 (10 paces back for every step forward in logical design)

    And as we all know, the 6 is no let down in the trend of a more disgusting, stupid design with each rev.




    Nice review of the design history of the all in one Gateway Profile. Anyone have any idea or want to make any guess as to why they(Gateway) get farther and farther away from the iMac with each new design? It's like they go backward to go forward.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    It was hit with the whole ugly tree!



    The only good thing I can see about it:



    Quote:

    A full-height PCI slot, half-height PCI slot and full-height PCI Express x16 graphics slot all make expansion easy.



    So in a couple of years when that X1600 in the iMac is low-end and being sold in the bargain bin, you could upgrade the Gateway to the latest GPU. Other that than the iMac wins hands down!





  • Reply 31 of 35
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by backtomac

    Nice review of the design history of the all in one Gateway Profile. Anyone have any idea or want to make any guess as to why they(Gateway) get farther and farther away from the iMac with each new design? It's like they go backward to go forward.



    they lose so much money that they hire a lesser designer dor each one, tghe G6 was designed by a 10th grader who was using AutoCad for the first time!
  • Reply 32 of 35
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Not ONLY is the design pure crap but the marketing text on that page suck the big one too... And I quote:



    " And it even has less deployment and disposal costs than a standard desktop with a monitor."







    Are you REALLY using 'lower DISPOSAL costs" as a key feature of this system? Well after looking at it for a third time, perhaps they are.



    Dave
  • Reply 33 of 35
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,841member
    Oh. My. God.







    That thing cannot be for real, can it? Is it really real? Are they actually selling those things now, in 2006? Surely, it is some sort of joke?



    Quote:

    Originally posted by lakingsfn

    I think my IQ just dropped a couple of notches just looking at the thing.



  • Reply 34 of 35
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Wouldn't look out of place in Doom 3:



  • Reply 35 of 35
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    No wonder the Mars facility broke into pieces, it was made by Gateway!
Sign In or Register to comment.