New case for MBP

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The current style for the MBP has been out for quite awhile. Do you think Apple will update the case soon, say around the core 2 duo release?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by ozarka

The current style for the MBP has been out for quite awhile. Do you think Apple will update the case soon, say around the core 2 duo release?

I hear they are bringing back the neon craze from teh eighties.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Why do you want a change? Its almost perfect...
  • Reply 3 of 40
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Why do you want a change? Its almost perfect...

That's an easy one to field...

Because:

A. Heat dissipation is poor - runs very hot

B. Lack of access to internal components, such as the hard drive

C. Display opening angle is limiting

D. Display viewing angle is narrow (lots of color shifting)

E. Warping diplay lid

Need I say more?

Edit: I too hope that the enclosure is changed (or even fixed) with the switched to Intel Core 2 Duo processors.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    ozarkaozarka Posts: 3member
    MBP users tend to be more traditional than the MB users, so it makes sense that the MB would be redesigned first. Now that there is a new MB, a new pro should not be too far behind.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Quote:

MBP users tend to be more traditional than the MB users, so it makes sense that the MB would be redesigned first. Now that there is a new MB, a new pro should not be too far behind.

Well I wouldn't call the MacBook redesigned per sé...reformed from the iBook maybe...

The MacBook Pro desperately needs a different hinge design sans magnets. I wouldn't be too surprised if it is one on par with the hinge design of the clamshell iBooks with the spring closing mechanism, but allows the display to further extend back towards 180°. I think this could be totally accomplished whilst keeping the slim and sleek design.

I think the aluminum materials will be minimized or even completely gone ? and where as other manufacturers are starting to use it *cough Dell* and where as other manufacturers are starting to make everything silver ? I think the MacBook will move away from this design and color scheme.

The one thing I am hoping to see is a contrast in the notebook design, like the classy Titanium had with the contrasting charcoal keyboard against its silver enclosure, even though the Titanium's keyboard had a lot to be desired.

Just my 2¢...I think a lot can be done here...instead of it being a desirable notebook in a PowerBook G4 case.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    iMac or MacBook Pro??

i may be moving to Georgia (Q4), bit confused to whether to get an iMac or MacBook Pro, may need the new Mac by Sep end ... was holding off this purchase for almost two months

... since WWDC nearing, wait for another month...

any chance new MacBook pro shipping in mid Sep with merom? (Rev A problems in my mind as well)

iMac 20" - 10Kg - not mind carrying that machine -not sure US customs procedure - (is there any duty?)

i am doing development in the dark side

Some programming stuff (vs.net) and Oracle database installation are the requirement in the windows (with boot camp)

thanks for all advise ...
  • Reply 7 of 40
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Well, when MBP users pay 2-3x the price of MBs, they ought to be getting an enclosure that doesnt warp and can properly disipate the heat it produces...a core duo is hotter than a G4, I cant beleive that Apple would redesign the MB enclosure to accomidate, but the MBP is just the G4 enclosure with a dumb little camera.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    ozarkaozarka Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Well, when MBP users pay 2-3x the price of MBs, they ought to be getting an enclosure that doesnt warp and can properly disipate the heat it produces...a core duo is hotter than a G4, I cant beleive that Apple would redesign the MB enclosure to accomidate, but the MBP is just the G4 enclosure with a dumb little camera.

Your sentiment is probably shared by a lot of people. I'm guessing the MB has significantly (relatively) outperformed the MBP, so maybe Apple will take heed.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Don't kid yourself about the MacBook ? indeed it gets hot like its Pro brothers.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    They should make it 1.5 inches thick and marvel at how, with no other changes, heat problems go away, they're able clock the videocard at its default MHz, and they can now fit all the ports the Powerbook had.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

They should make it 1.5 inches thick and marvel at how, with no other changes, heat problems go away, they're able clock the videocard at its default MHz, and they can now fit all the ports the Powerbook had.

+ return to DL burning n'all.

Perhaps it will be an option - phat will be the new thin and cost an extra $100.. (for extra materials)
  • Reply 12 of 40
    VERY interesting article here about the Apple laptop line with respect to Dell and HP

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/51488.html

Quote:

From the article:

I can't talk about everything that came up at this event, but one thing I can reveal is that Dell has been doing extensive competitive testing with laptops to create benchmarks it can use to improve its own products. One of the products it has been testing is one of the new Apple laptops.

Given all the rave reviews about this line, Dell expected it to test very well, but it didn't, apparently, even though it stood out visually. It largely failed usability testing, particularly with the keyboards.

• Reply 13 of 40
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

VERY interesting article here about the Apple laptop line with respect to Dell and HP

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/51488.html

*clicks*

"By Rob Enderle"

*closes*

I get enough horseshit a day as it is.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member

I employ the same "Rob Enderle" workflow.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

*clicks*

"By Rob Enderle"

*closes*

I get enough horseshit a day as it is.

Does this guy have an axe to grind against Apple?
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Does this guy have an axe to grind against Apple?

Against a lot of things.

Cf. Wikipedia, for instance:

Quote:

[Enderle] believes that Linux is a ?free-software scam,? [and] has compared some Linux advocates to terrorists

Of note, he's also one of the top-quoted men at the Apple Death Knell Counter.

Or, check Gruber's article about him, including "further reading" pointers at the bottom.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Enderle is an idiot of epic proportions.

Guys like him make you wonder just how some people get to where they are. I haven't read ONE thing I thought was insightful from this guy. Not one.

If you want decent technical commentary avoid Rob Enderle and you can pretty much do the same about anything from Paul Thurrot as well.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Thurrott occasionally gets things right. He also, however, occasionally gets things terribly wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:

Thurrott occasionally gets things right. He also, however, occasionally gets things terribly wrong.

I hesitated to add Paul but for the most part he's annoying as well. He'll provide a nugget every bluemoon but he's famous for making cool OS X technology sound mundane while boosting windows features to sound magnificent.

Hell what's he supposed to do running winsupersite? Champion Macs? Not. But Enderle is totally useless. No nuggetdom evar.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Against a lot of things.

Cf. Wikipedia, for instance:

Of note, he's also one of the top-quoted men at the Apple Death Knell Counter.

Or, check Gruber's article about him, including "further reading" pointers at the bottom.

I'm embarrassed to admitt I didn't know about this guy. Went to the Apple Death Knell website. Kinda reminds me of the year 2000 naysayers.