Terminal needs Tabs

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

btw, I've been using Macs for 22 years...and OS X full time since Public Beta...do I win a prize? [/B]

For using OS X 10.0 full-time? Yeah, you do deserve some kind of prize.

Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

[B]Show me an implementaion of tabs that trumps Exposé for non-disruptive surveying and control of multiple windows and we'll talk.

Safari. One window, six tabs open. Names of all tabs visible. I can close any tab with a single click -- even with a nonfocused tab in the background.

Exposé won't show me the names of all windows without (1) hitting the Exposé hotkey, and then (2) scrubbing if necessary for text-heavy windows, and won't let me close windows without switching to one first.

In my humble opinion, tabs win on both surveying and control in Safari. If you prefer Exposé, may be gods be with you; turn 'em off. It doesn't bother me in the slightest -- in fact, I often use Exposé to toggle between windows full of various tabs, and/or tabbed windows and single windows, which works nicely.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

For using OS X 10.0 full-time? Yeah, you do deserve some kind of prize.

Actually, PB was before 10.0
  • Reply 63 of 67
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Tabs are good. I mean if you don't like 'em don't use 'em. Finder and iChat, hell even Mail, maybe even more apps like Calendar, could use them. Why? I have a 12" screen. OS X likes screen. Tabs are a solution. The end.

Couldn't say it better myself.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Actually, PB was before 10.0

'strue. My mind must've boggled at the fact that *anyone* could use the PB full-time. I mean, it was awful neat and all, but... whew.

Mind you, I use OS X for work, not just surfing and WP.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

'strue. My mind must've boggled at the fact that *anyone* could use the PB full-time. I mean, it was awful neat and all, but... whew.

Mind you, I use OS X for work, not just surfing and WP.

Well...it was painfully slow and I never finished Monkey Island 4 because it didn't run well under Classic...but it was stable as hell and that was much better than what OS 9 ever offered.

As for the "survey and control" part of the argument, I guess I had a total different idea of what 'survey' was. In my mind, you actually have to *see* the content of the window...I wasn't expecting you interpretation of 'survey' to be just looking at the tab name (which, to me, is completely useless)...as for control, Safari lets people close tabs without looking at them first (which is potential for disaster) and also allows people to close an entire window of tabs without warning...how's THAT for control.

I'm sorry but Safari's implementation of tabs is probably one of the worse out there right now. Neither 'survey' nor 'control' should describe Safari's tab implementation._ Blind and risky though would describe it pretty well.

• Reply 66 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

[B]As for the "survey and control" part of the argument, I guess I had a total different idea of what 'survey' was. In my mind, you actually have to *see* the content of the window...I wasn't expecting you interpretation of 'survey' to be just looking at the tab name (which, to me, is completely useless)...as for control, Safari lets people close tabs without looking at them first (which is potential for disaster) and also allows people to close an entire window of tabs without warning...how's THAT for control.

For me (and obviously many others), just looking at the name of web page in a tab works very well. You don't need a visual thumbnail for absolutely everything.

Visual previews certainly aren't bad... Omniweb's visual tab drawer works pretty well. But personally, I think I actually prefer Safari's tabs for their simplicity and elegance. (If Safari had a tab pane/drawer I'd definitely give it a whirl.)

As for accidentally closing an entire window full of tabs, yes, that is an issue. Camino (also the free SIMBL Safari plug-in Taboo) handle this smoothly: if you close a window with multiple tabs, a warning dialog checks if you're sure (yes being the default button). It works well.

Quote:

I'm sorry but Safari's implementation of tabs is probably one of the worse out there right now. Neither 'survey' nor 'control' should describe Safari's tab implementation._ Blind and risky though would describe it pretty well.

When John Siracusa, a notoriously cranky UI fusspot, raves about Safari, you know they're doing something right. Tabs are pretty great.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

When John Siracusa, a notoriously cranky UI fusspot, raves about Safari, you know they're doing something right. Tabs are pretty great.

Oh, well I guess that changes everything.