Apple's new iPod nano may sport metal jacket

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The next generation of Apple Computer's iPod nano digital music player may dip into the iPod mini's wardrobe, AppleInsider has learned.

In an effort to reduce the player's susceptibility to scratches, Apple has been experimenting with aluminum anodized enclosures similar to those used in the company's iPod mini digital music players, sources familiar with the company's music plans have said.

In what Apple chief executive Steve Jobs called a major gamble, the company last September did away with its aluminum enclosed iPod mini, replacing the player with the ulta-thin polycarbonate-coated iPod nano.

However, the nano almost immediately faced intense scrutiny after a significant number of users began to complain that the front surface of their players easily became scratched or marred during ordinary use. Several lawsuits were later filed against Apple as a result of the scratches.

According to sources, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company is so far believed to have committed to the transition away from the nano's polycarbonate-coated shell and towards aluminum enclosures. The new enclosures are expected to debut in color variations similar to those used with the iPod mini, these sources added.

Aside from the enclosure change, the new nanos are expected to sport relatively the same form factor as the existing iPod nano -- about three inches tall and a fourth of an inch thin.

Sources also added that Apple is expected to scale the new player's storage capacity up to 8GB when it makes its debut later this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    nice. i'd love to see a bigger capacity nano, slightly smaller in size and alu.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So, 8Gb, same small size, wont scratch and various colors. Sign me and about another 10 million up.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    maybe it will be the same material as the MBP
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPickle06

maybe it will be the same material as the MBP

cheese?

aluminum is aluminum unless you are talking about the new enclosures, which are rumored to be a fine Roquefort blue cheese.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Obligitory:

FMJ-2006

"gomer" gets an upgrade!

fire watchman "is that loaded"

"gomer": 0.08 TB, ipod nano, full metal jacket!

Enter Hartman...

Hartman: put the ipod on the deck and turn off the Britney Spears music NOW!

"Gomer" doesnt comply

Hartman: What is your major malfunction numbnuts? Did your mom not buy you an iMac as a child?
  • Reply 6 of 31
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Obligitory:

FMJ-2006

"gomer" gets an upgrade!

Enter Hartman...

"Gomer" doesnt comply

Hartman: What is your major malfunction numbnuts? Did your mom not buy you an iMac as a child?

Ouch!

The moral of the story: Do Not Kill With iPod nano
  • Reply 7 of 31
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Obligitory:

FMJ-2006

"gomer" gets an upgrade!

Enter Hartman...

"Gomer" doesnt comply

Totally!!!11
  • Reply 8 of 31
    craigb6craigb6 Posts: 16member
    If it gets an upgraded capacity and a cool case which doesn't scratch I'll dump my Zen Micro and get it. I want something small and cool and about 6GB to hold my music. Video would be a bonus, and I hope with the rumoured aluminium case it doesn't get any thicker.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    i wonder if it will look exactly like the old mini form factor with flat top, just really thin like the nano, other wise it would be hard to put aluminum around the whole thing cost wise. or would it just have an aluminum front and back? idk.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

i wonder if it will look exactly like the old mini form factor with flat top, just really thin like the nano, other wise it would be hard to put aluminum around the whole thing cost wise. or would it just have an aluminum front and back? idk.

most likely two alu cases pressed together...first early adopters slice fingers and sue apple for nano damages.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

Actually aluminum over the whole thing would cost less then existing stainless on the back. (let's just say I used to be involved with steel)
  • Reply 12 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

most likely two alu cases pressed together...first early adopters slice fingers and sue apple for nano damages.

I hear the new case doubles as a cheese grater.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    dmwogandmwogan Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Actually aluminum over the whole thing would cost less then existing stainless on the back. (let's just say I used to be involved with steel)

Definetly. 303 SS or 304 SS is indeed more expensive. Yay for engineering.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

So, 8Gb, same small size, wont scratch and various colors. Sign me and about another 10 million up.

C'mon, Apple, get it out before Sept. 16!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 31
    When the mini appeared, I really hoped that the next iPod would take its calls from it, not the other way around. The aluminum mini is far, far more durable than the delicate case of the nano and the video iPod... my 2-year-old mini still looks better than my 9-month old nano.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I thought it was the screen of the nano that scratched, not the case itself. How would changing the case materials affect screen scratches?
  • Reply 17 of 31
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I thought it was the screen of the nano that scratched, not the case itself. How would changing the case materials affect screen scratches?

My iPod Video scratches all over the whole body... not just the screen. I assume the new nano will still scratch on the screen (just as every ipod since the beginning), but the body will remain untouched.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I can see the ad now... FULL METAL NANO.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

I can see the ad now... FULL METAL NANO.

Yup, I posted the ad copy this morning
  • Reply 20 of 31
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I thought they might do something like this!

From June 22:

Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

What the hell would a nano redesign even look like? Thiner? Colours again? I really don't see what they can change.

Maybe an ipod nano sized mini?

It's pretty much the only logical thought path, combine two of the best selling products and add a couple features.

I hope it plays video, and I really REALLY hope they do go with the alu colours in 2,4,8gb capacities (crosses fingers).