Apple's Mac Pro to sport modified Power Mac enclosure

Comments

• Reply 21 of 300
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Apple doesnt have a history of introducing all new Pro machines in old cases,

Oh, really?

The G1s used virtually the same cases as the late Quadras.

The G2s used slightly modified G1 cases.

The beige G3s used the same case as the late G2s (e.g., 9600).

The original G4s used, color aside, the same case as the Yosemite G3s.

The first time a Quadra/Power Mac's generational change also immediately triggered a new case design was the G5.
  • Reply 22 of 300
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    edit: never mind.
  • Reply 23 of 300
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Only 512MB Ram for 1799? SCREW THAT
  • Reply 24 of 300
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Will the new machines still require fluid cooling? If not, how much will that affect pricing?
  • Reply 25 of 300
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Craigb6

So there will there be a second eject key on the keyboard or summin? Or maybe you need to press different keyboard combinations to open the different drives, say 'Eject' for the factory installed drive and 'Eject' and 'Down' for the second drive.

They had this already with the G4 towers. I believe you ejected the second drive with shift-eject. Also, the eject menu lists both options (and shows key commands). Works well.

I totally agree that wifi and bluetooth should be included standard now that they're included in even the cheapest macs. Also agree that they need at least one more hd bay. And I have to say I'm still skeptical that they'll go with single xeon, seems like a big waste of money and very uncompetitive with PC's.

Thumbs down for 512 in the base model, EVERY mac should have at least a gig, and the towers could ship with more.

Quote:

Originally posted by Naraa Haras

The prices seem out of alignment with the rest of the PC industry. Apple's going to be criticized heavily with these specs. Apple needs to step up and make room for 3 drive bays for raid 5, et al.

Have you looked at PC's with these chips? For comparison, Dell's towers with these CPU configs run $2400/2600/3700. Honestly, I think these numbers are unrealistically low - this whole list looks bogus to me.
  • Reply 26 of 300
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

In a move that is somewhat reminiscent of recent Windows PC designs, Apple also appears to have relocated the computer's power supply from the base of the unit up towards the top, those same people say.

"Recent Windows PC designs?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but every tower I've seen since the early 90s has had the power supply at the top, behind the main drive bays. Even Apple's own towers up through the G4s did. It's not like this is something new for Windows PCs or Apple.

Very disappointing with the dearth of hard drive bays. These Intel processors aren't supposed to need the giant heat sinks of the G5, so what are they doing with all the empty space inside?
  • Reply 27 of 300
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't see the advantage of using Woodcrest without using two processors. Conroe would give excellent performance, close to woodcrest in single processor configurations, with less cost. If Apple is going with single processor woodcrest machines, better crank up the clock speed, 2.0 ghz ain't cutting it IMO.

Sorry DCQ, saw that you said the same thing, only better.
  • Reply 28 of 300
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    i don't beleive any of this story
  • Reply 29 of 300
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Dual Ethernet? Would be nice, but somehow, I think this is fake.

Hope they stick with similar cases to the Power Macs though.
  • Reply 30 of 300
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

Dual Ethernet? Would be nice, but somehow, I think this is fake.

Hope they stick with similar cases to the Power Macs though.

Erm, why wouldn't they have dual ethernet? The current G5s do...
  • Reply 31 of 300
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The second optical slot is a welcome return. Apple should have been able to offer it sooner.

Hopefully their will be room for 3 HDD bays. I'm surprised no one is complaining about 4 PCI slots. How many people would really fill 6 anyway.

I seriously doubt Apple will actually limit Mac Pro choices only to ATI and completely leave out Nvidia. Even if they did why would they stay limited to the X1800 GTO at the top end?

The power plug at the top of the case seems dumb and unApplelike, lets hope that's not really what they do.

It seems they could ship a 500GB HDD with the top end model considering there are 750GB drives now.

512MB of RAM seems pretty silly at this point, I agree they should ship at least 1GB in their pro desktop.

To look at it another way though if Apple did offer a lower cost desktop model for consumer and small business, professional businesses would probably not care about the Mac Pro shipping with slim amount of HDD or RAM. They would load it up with what they need any way.
  • Reply 32 of 300
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

Erm, why wouldn't they have dual ethernet? The current G5s do...

Yeah, guess I forgot the newer ones have that (which I would've known if I'd looked at the new one we got today).

Still, I don't have a lot of confidence in this story.
  • Reply 33 of 300
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

I seriously doubt Apple will actually limit Mac Pro choices only to ATI and completely leave out Nvidia. Even if they did why would they stay limited to the X1800 GTO at the top end?

Especially since the 7800 GT is better.
  • Reply 34 of 300
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    leaving the option open for either Hd-DVD or Blu-ray was a good choice.
  • Reply 35 of 300
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    This does not compute. If the specs are true, it'd be a real disappointment. If the cheese grater front stays the same, another disappointment. A Woodcrest mobo would use SATA2, for one thing. For another, the memory would be different. Apple certainly needs to offer a configuration that includes a pair of 3 GHz Woodies, even as a BTO option.

How about 4 HD slots? How about a pair of 16x PCI Express slots instead of 1? At least let gamer types put together SLI graphics. Of course, it's possible to have a twin-GPU card with single slot SLI. How about including an option like that?

Speaking of graphics cards, how about an ATI X1900 series or a GeForce 7900 series option? There should also be options for workstation graphics cards.

Come on, already! We were promised 3 GHz years ago. Now that it's finally possible, offer the damn thing.
  • Reply 36 of 300
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Come on, already! We were promised 3 GHz years ago. Now that it's finally possible, offer the damn thing.

I'm inclined to agree with you here, Rolo. Steve wants to be able to stand up and say: "See: now I can fulfill that 3ghz promise." That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the 3ghz offering were higher-priced than $3299, given that I'm sure they'll be (among) the most expensive processors Intel offers.

And what would be the rational for not putting 3ghz in there now, if they're available? To have something for the Xserve that's higher-end?

Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

The new Mac Pro desktops will represent the last of the Cupertino, Calif.-based company's personal computer systems to transition from IBM's PowerPC-based processors to Intel's chips. And sources who have crossed paths with pre-production units claim they will rival, if not exceed in speed, the most powerful personal computer systems on the market today.

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

I notice AppleInsider's emphasis on the word "personal," suggesting that the Xserve update might come after the Mac Pro. But I wonder, if these specs were to be true, would we see the introduction of higher-end, workstation-class mac (beyond the Mac Pro, maybe with more drive bays or slots or something?) that would include the 3ghz processors?
  • Reply 37 of 300
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    WWDC is only a few weeks away. I'm eager to see what's announced. Oh yeah, we'll see the preview of Leopard too.
  • Reply 38 of 300
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Four USB ports, two of which are 1.1 and on the keyboard?

Come on...I know pros use Firewire, but they also use USB 2.0.

There needs to be at least four or five free USB 2.0 ports.

Many PC's actually have seven.
  • Reply 39 of 300
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Four USB ports, two of which are 1.1 and on the keyboard?

Come on...I know pros use Firewire, but they also use USB 2.0.

There needs to be at least four or five free USB 2.0 ports.

Many PC's actually have seven.

Don't worry! Even the Mac Mini has 4 USB 2.0 ports ...
  • Reply 40 of 300
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

I'm inclined to agree with you here, Rolo. Steve wants to be able to stand up and say: "See: now I can fulfill that 3ghz promise." That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the 3ghz offering were higher-priced than $3299, given that I'm sure they'll be (among) the most expensive processors Intel offers.

And what would be the rational for not putting 3ghz in there now, if they're available? To have something for the Xserve that's higher-end?

I notice AppleInsider's emphasis on the word "personal," suggesting that the Xserve update might come after the Mac Pro. But I wonder, if these specs were to be true, would we see the introduction of higher-end, workstation-class mac (beyond the Mac Pro, maybe with more drive bays or slots or something?) that would include the 3ghz processors?

Ditto on 3GHz here. No matter the cost Steve wants to meet that now ancient promise. At the other end of the specs they can't continue to have a 2GHz machine on the grid. That number stuck around throughout the lifetime of the G5, they want to distance themselves from it. Plus, for right or wrong, Apple tends to stick with "higher clock speed=better". For both reasons expect the MacPro to start above the speed of the iMac and MacBook.

The XServe is a whole different market. Apple has never put matching processors in the XServe and Mac tower and that isn't likely to change. Uptime and throughput trump fast processors every time.

While thousands of us ask for a modular Mac with a desktop processor and upgradable video card at the $1500 price point I'm suspicious that Apple doesn't want any more form factors. A relatively low end MacPro is probably the most I can hope for.