Apple, bring back "laptops"... to hell with "notebooks"

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    yammayamma Posts: 2member
    I think the answer is very simple...Apple doesn't call their portable computers laptops because they can't be used on your lap.
  • Reply 62 of 63
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I have a work laptop at home with me. Got it Wednesday. It's a Dell Latitude D620 with an Intel Core Duo processor at 1.66GHz. 512 MB of RAM, integrated graphics, 60GB HD. It gets warm and toasty just like the MBP. It has that high-pitched whining sound just like the MBP has. The display is really dim compared to MacBooks (and it's not the computer as I have checked the other D620's we've received). It feels solid, but then again, so do the MBP's. I think we can put into perspective this whole issue...the grass is always greener...

Apple will be first to fix the heat and everything else as they are usually first...
  • Reply 63 of 63
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Um, my PC laptop is both hot and loud, so there. It's also 10 lbs, so there's absolutely no excuse.

Those things were sad, but those generally didn't use notebook chips and it might have been among the fastest notebooks of the time.

My old Compaq notebook is 5lb, thin for the time (1.25", made in 2002) and quiet, I think it had the fastest notebook CPU of the time it was made. I plan to sell my MBP and stick with the Compaq until Apple makes some portable that uses the L or U series chips.

Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

MacBook vs Dell Latitude in a heat test.

Averaged over all the MacBook was about two degrees hotter than the Dell Latitude but a lot of the heat was in one part of the laptop. Basically over all they were the same for heat dissipation.

http://www.krischeonline.com/staticp...p?page=macbook

That 15 deg difference on the bottom back corner on the MBP after playing a movie is a concern. Sure, the average heat is only 2deg hotter, but that extra 10-15 deg on the bottom back corner is what makes my MBP unusable to me, IMO.

Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Yonah shuts off at 100 degrees C. It never reached more than 83 on a MacBook Pro.

I don't know about MacBook values, but my MacBook Pro has shown values anywhere between 20 and 83 degrees. During usual operation, temperature is somewhere between 50 and 65 degrees.

"Those temperatures" being what temperatures, exactly? Per Intel's assessment, the MacBook Pro's CPU never reaches or comes close to critical levels. There's almost 15% room between 83 degrees (which it rarely reaches)

I guess I'd have to suggest that there is some variation between the notebooks. My idle temperature reading is usually around 65C, 85C at load. Ambient air is typically 24C. The chip rating is 1.8xGHz