Mac OS X Virus Check

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was wondering how I do a virus scan with Tiger? Which program do I use?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    What viruses are you planning to scan for?
  • Reply 2 of 53
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by krispie

What viruses are you planning to scan for?

I'm guessing he wants to scan for ALL of them.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    It's a legitimate question if he's asking how not to pass on Windows viruses through Outlook or what have you.

It's actually twicely legitimate because AI's search function is still not working correctly, and he may not have been able to find the info in previous threads.

Here are two threads regarding antivirus software on macs:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=54505

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...oto=nextoldest

But listen, CityGuy, there are no viruses for the Mac. There are as many trojans as there are olives in a Martini, and you have to download and open and give your password to those for them to do anything. Unless you're worried about passing on viruses to PCs by using Outlook, don't worry. Some antivirus programs are actually bad for macs.

--B
  • Reply 4 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If you have to for peace of mind, you should try Macscan. You get a 15 day trial, and if you like it costs about $25 dollars. (it's pricey)
  • Reply 5 of 53
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

If you have to for peace of mind, you should try Macscan. You get a 15 day trial, and if you like it costs about $25 dollars. (it's pricey)

Or if you're cheap like me, you can get ClamXAV...

link
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Or if you're smart like me, you won't bother, because AV slows down your computer and in generally pisses everybody off and makes babies cry.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Which ones would they be?
  • Reply 8 of 53
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

All zero of them?
  • Reply 9 of 53
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by krispie

Which ones would they be?

The ones affecting Windows of course. Are there any other?
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by CityGuy88

I was wondering how I do a virus scan with Tiger? Which program do I use?

If you want a good antivirus for whatever reason I suggest you check out Intego VirusBarrier X4 http://www.intego.com/home.asp

You can read a review of the program at MacWorld http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/revi...erx4/index.php

I've been thinking of getting there software in the future, not that we have any real threats to worry about but you never know what may happen no OS is perfect, plus they are a Mac only developer (from what I have read) that tries to make the best software possible compared to Symantec FUD of an antivirus!

Heres something from there website:

Quote:

Since 1997, Intego has made a name for itself in the Internet security and privacy market for Macintosh.

With the most complete range of security software for Mac OS X, Intego has proven its ability to innovate and develop products that outperform the others.

So check them out, they may have everything you need

PS: I have no affiliation with Intego or any of there products.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Thanks for all of your replies guys, that's really helpful. What about spyware? How can I check to see if I have any on my MacBook?
  • Reply 12 of 53
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Look for the luminescent apple. If your laptop has one, then you don't have any spyware. Unless you've got the iTunes ministore up...

--B
  • Reply 13 of 53
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CityGuy88

...What about spyware? ...

Stop worrying and learn to use your new computer. There are no MacOS X viruses. There is no MacOS X spyware.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Stop worrying and learn to use your new computer. There are no MacOS X viruses. There is no MacOS X spyware.

Do you guys realize how smug you sound? No wonder people don't like Apple fan boys. No matter how excellent this platform is no-one ever want's to hear anything about it, just because of this attitude. No matter how true it is that not any significant pests work in OSX.

It's a pity that this forums search doesn't work because this topic has been dwelled on for so many times, but how could new members know about it? Although citiguy88 has been registered for so long that this topic should have been risen mean while, but not all of us live on these forums. Okay, now you can start bashing me.

Oh, and about the spyware, if you still want to be sure, you can always run Little Snitch, to track your traffic.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

Do you guys realize how smug you sound? No wonder people don't like Apple fan boys.

If you can back it up, it ain't bragging.

Quote:

.... No matter how true it is that not any significant pests work in OSX.

No, it is not there no significant pests at work in MacOS X. There are none, zero, zilch, nada.

Quote:

It's a pity that this forums search doesn't work because this topic has been dwelled on for so many times, but how could new members know about it? Although citiguy88 has been registered for so long that this topic should have been risen mean while, but not all of us live on these forums.

Agreed.

Quote:

Okay, now you can start bashing me.

Perish the thought.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I suspect a lot of folk new to Macs and with Intel versions installing Boot Camp or Parallels may ask this question not understanding (as of yet) Windoze nasties are not going to leap across and infect Tiger (or Leopard).

Meanwhile for those who have not seen it in action... check out Crossover as soon as you get the chance. I was told it (WINE) would not work but I have now seen it with my own eyes ... here is my report..

\t

CROSSOVER!

Parallels is certainly worth having for Intel mac users but don't forget Crossover.

A friend showed me a beta version running yesterday. I watched Internet Explorer 6 run all on its own, no XP in sight, nothing just IE6, on a Mac. It worked flawlessly and printed to the Mac printer and even allowed copy and paste to any Mac app. This solved all those problems with banks etc. where Macs are marginalized. No XP no issues with Spyware, Adware or Viruses as far as i can see... correct me if I am wrong but where are they going to go and what are they going to attack?

I wanted to see this to see if it would access MLS a database created for Realtors in the USA. It has been created by folk who must be on MS payroll as it won't work on any Mac running any browser (even with Mac pretending to be a PC).

It worked flawlessly! Hear this Realtors in the USA... you can buy a Mac and use MLS. You heard this from me first so go sell my listings will ya

Some issues: The only snag we hit was a link that launched an e-mail app was stymied as there was no e-mail app in the Crossover environment as we had it set up, I had hoped it would just launch Mail.app in OSX. I hope Crossover folk fix it so it will launch Mail in OSX as it can now access print drivers seamlessly. Meanwhile the solution is to add Outlook Express too but that is one thing I'd rather not add if I don't have to. He also added Office and that worked fine too and e-mail links work with a PC mail app on line.

This is only a beta remember! Ironically only web site we found with problems in half an hour of playing was ... Apple! I wonder if Apple detect machine accessing and try to do something different (ly) and Crossover running IE6 on a Mac without XP is confusing something like a cookie generator?

It has been said by many so called experts in this forum WINE isn't a viable option. I listened and didn't know till yesterday. This is absolutely amazing, it works for the apps we tried and for those that don't you have Parallel.

PC software you MUST have on a Mac and no bloody Windows in sight. Priceless!

License agreements with MS may be an issue I am sure but as I see it; if I own a PC with Office and XP and I am prepared to ignite the PC with a gallon of gasoline once I have installed all the software I need from XP and Office on a Mac surely I am running it on one computer only as per any agreement I have seen? It doesn't say anywhere, "Unless it is a Mac" does it?

I ordered my Intel Mac on seeing Crossover in action!
  • Reply 17 of 53
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Do you guys realize how smug you sound?

Hell, yeah...
  • Reply 18 of 53
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Darth,

Intego has made a name for themselves, true.

They make an unnecessary product and are alleged to have funded several proof of concept pieces of malware (including RENEPO) in order to play Chicken Little and scare people into buying their unnecessary product.

FUD is what they do.

No Mac user I've met is willing to reward them for their seemingly nefarious tactics.

There are NO Mac OS X viruses. 100,000+ for Windows, but nada for OS X.

The sole purpose for OS X Anti-Virus tools is to clean attachments and Word documents of Macro viruses sent from Windows users and requiring forwarding on to other Windows users.

No known virus can auto-propagate in a patched copy of OS X.

The only other sensible security precautions most users need to take are to keep on the IP Firewall (built in), don't browse under an admin user account, and avoid clicking on suspicious files that might be trojans.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I recommend you all read this Symantec blogger's post, then come to conclusions.

I have been a strong advocate of antivirus software for MacOS X as a measure of good citizenship. However, this San Jose Mercury News article implies that I may have been wrong.