Nvidia to help power next-gen video iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Graphics chip maker Nvidia Corp. has beat out Broadcom Corp. in a major design win for Apple Computer's next-generation video iPod product line, according to one Wall Street analyst.

"Based on our analysis, we believe Nvidia is designed into the next-generation video iPod socket at the expense of Broadcom," American Technology Research analyst Satya Chillara told clients on Tuesday.

The video capabilities of Apple's current fifth-generation iPods are made possible by a chip from Broadcom.

"We believe the Nvidia chip adds 3D graphics functionality in addition to all of the existing features that Broadcom supported with the existing video iPod," Chillara added.

As a result of his findings, the analyst upgraded shares of Nvidia to "Buy" from "Hold" while downgrading shares of Broadcom to "Hold" from "Buy."

"We view this development as negative" for Broadcom, Chillara said, explaining that Apple's fifth-generation iPods have contributed between $50 and $70 million in revenue for the company each quarter.

Apple's decision to adopt Nvidia chips in the next video iPod represents the second major iPod component supplier swap in recent months:

In April, it was reported that Samsung beat out PortalPlayer as the system-on-a-chip (SoC) supplier for the second-generation iPod nano.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    Woah. O_O;;
  • Reply 2 of 51
    Would possibly explain some of the new game stuff found in the iPod update code.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    warrkwarrk Posts: 8member
    Hmmmm all this chipset swappery doesn't sound like a product whose release is imminent....

Grrrr.... guess I'll have to stick with my shuffle for a while longer!
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Yet another odd indicator for buy/hold transitions from the analysts; NVidia seems slightly less diverse, but at least in the next 12-18 months I can't imagine iPod video chips being of significant consequence for either company. Especially Broadcom.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WaRrK

Hmmmm all this chipset swappery doesn't sound like a product whose release is imminent....

Depends on how old the information is. This could be information that is 6-12 months old! If it is even reliable.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WaRrK

It also doesn't mean this will be the next iPod released. It could be 2-3 more generations from now.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Poor guys... poor little guys...
  • Reply 8 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JoeAlamaiz

Poor guys... poor little guys...

Really? Why not contribute something next time.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    "Based on our analysis, we believe Nvidia is designed into the next-generation video iPod socket at the expense of Broadcom,"

What are they analyzing that allows them to draw these conclusions?

Unless they busted open a pre-production model and saw the chips I would be highly doubtful.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Really? Why not contribute something next time.

Kind of like your bazillion countdown/discuss this topic/post your mockups threads?

• Reply 11 of 51
    Well, what ever happens we can be sure that the graphics will be tons better. I just want to know when they'll have blue tooth headphones. that would be even better than better graphics.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Kind of like your bazillion countdown/discuss this topic/post your mockups threads?

LOL
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Broadcom will be fine, considering that some of their technology will go inside every Nintendo Wii system.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    whatever.

all i need on my ipod is my music and Tetris.

Tetris, Mr. Jobs.

Tetris.

• Reply 15 of 51
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I'll add to that...

Tetris, Tetris, Tetris! ADD IT FFS!

I can't wait for the new iPods, personally. My 20gig 4th G is just too small now days.

Soon as they release something bigger than 60g, i'll be all over buying hte 60gig. I'm getting tired of waiting, but I'm definitely not buying an iPod at this point!
  • Reply 16 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I wasn't aware Nvidia had a chip that could compete with Broadcom. I wonder which chip it is?

Sunil. It's time for some of your research.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Ok, I just popped into ARs, and found this.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060718-7295.html
  • Reply 18 of 51
    I'd love to have Tetris, Breakout and Pong on my iPod.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

I'd love to have Tetris, Breakout and Pong on my iPod.

I'm sure Nvidia's chip will run Doom 3 without too much trouble!
  • Reply 20 of 51
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by melgross

I wasn't aware Nvidia had a chip that could compete with Broadcom. I wonder which chip it is?

Sunil. It's time for some of your research.

What am I? Asok the Intern from Dilbert?

Here ya lazy bastards: (image) Chew on this first.