Inside Apple's latest iPod touch-screen patent

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Does anyone here have a Motorola Razr? I do, and it's a piece of shite I know, but do you notice the screen on the front is not scratched? Why? It's made/covered with glass, and is basically unscratch-able. Why don't iPod's have glass screens? Why?

Perhaps with a fine diamond based nano-coating.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I've got a Wacom Cintiq. (It's a drawing table display). The surface material is some matte plastic, and I drag my pen and hand over it all day long.. but it's really proof to smudge marks. I'm not worried about that.

This pantent gets really specific and I think they're onto something. These methods can be introduced onto small iPods, big iPods, pocket tablet computers, large tablet computers, future pen- or touch displays. Heck, it doesn't even have to be associated with a screen, it can be used on an iPod shuffle with a sort of talk back interface. Perhaps there is a reason why Apple's displays are starting to lag behind... is it because they're focusing on a new breed of displays in all their future products?
  • Reply 23 of 53
    benjbenj Posts: 68member
    As everyone said a long time ago

It comes as no surprise!

BENj
  • Reply 24 of 53
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    the first mockup would be better if now playing was at the bottom so you could see the itunes list as you scroll through it, instead of trying to pick a song that's under your finger as you scroll.

as for smudges, why not a matte finish on the ipod screen - sim. to the finish on all apple monitors....

whatever it is i'm not falling into the "must upgrade to a new ipod" every 18 months. my 20 gig click wheel [sporting a monochrome screen] still plays music just as good as any new ipod would - and i'd bet the battery will last longer than any full screen model. it would have to be a combo device for me to upgrade.

the comment made by apple a year ago about how nobody wants a combo toaster / coffee maker is ridiculous. nobody has to fit a toaster and coffee maker into their front pocket.

make it a phone and decent camera and i'll upgrade. i don't need to watch movies on a 3.5" screen.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    This is so cool. The thing I'm wondering-with all this new technology, is it going to be the same price or much higher? I know they can put color screens in for the same, but this whole touch screen business seems very expensive....like those cell phone organizer things. Of course, that's not what I want to iPod to become...I can see it now...lack of judgement at apple leads to an iPod with a mini keyboard too small to use but still there, no wheel, cell phone/camera/pda setup, thick and clucnky looking, and in navy or some fake plastic silver finish. yuck. Although I doubt Apple would be so stupid as to make the iPod into a do-everything kind of thing, as everything these days is becoming....iPod is for music. end. of. story. <maybe with some movies, if the screen went sideways like the second picture in the post above^, i would put some movies into my iPod.myabe. just maybe.>

And Holy Moley is that mosquito annoying. I thought my speakers blew out or something....whats with the ads with stupid noises???

It's not that hot anymore in New York, but I'm still tired and grumpy.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenJ

As everyone said a long time ago

It comes as no surprise!

BENj

where's the second picture from? it looks so real...is it??
  • Reply 27 of 53
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Wow! And I'll even say it backwards.....Wow!

"That is freekn cool. I wonder how they do that?"

"Ballbearings. Everything's ballbearings these days."

(for you Fletch fanatics out there)

• Reply 28 of 53
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    The second picture is a fake. It came out last December or so.

Although, in the patent application. The "iPod" (if that's what it is) is always horizontal and not vertical as they are today. Hmmmmm.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    I think that near the end there it was for that rumored ultra portable pc Apple is working on.

So, about this whole thing. Let me make sure I'm understaning it. We're going to operate our ipods by just hovering our fingers over the top of the screen? is that right? That way the screen doesn't get smudgy with finger grease.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    why is this thread so quiet?

stunned silence I guess
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

why is this thread so quiet?

stunned silence I guess

It's not quiet....that blasted mosquito.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by josa92

touche
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by josa92

It won't shut up.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

It won't shut up.

I'm afraid stuff like that might become an evil marketing strategy.I zapped the thing and now its quiet. I just closed the stupid window it popped up. So when people see it, zapping it is the only way to shut it up, so this one banner might result in a lot of hits for them.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

I'm afraid stuff like that might become an evil marketing strategy.I zapped the thing and now its quiet. I just closed the stupid window it popped up. So when people see it, zapping it is the only way to shut it up, so this one banner might result in a lot of hits for them.

Also, people look all around the screen for what is making that noise <like me> and then when they realize, they click it to shut it up and then yea, whatyou said.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    I zapped that mofo.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    ok.

the mosquito has to go.

wtf?

• Reply 38 of 53
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenJ

[B]As everyone said a long time ago

Good album.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gloss

Good album.

Terrible.. terrible band
  • Reply 40 of 53
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    It sounds like we won't even need to touch the screen at all. It will sense the proximity of a finger and display a scroll wheel or other information. Just make gestures above the screen and it will react accordingly.