Inside Apple's latest iPod touch-screen patent

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

It sounds like we won't even need to touch the screen at all. It will sense the proximity of a finger and display a scroll wheel or other information. Just make gestures above the screen and it will react accordingly.

But it also mentions the amount of pressure applied which determines if the touch is accidental or not. So that would not be touch-less.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    I was listening to the Apple Conference call the other day when that stupid mosquito came on. At first I thought it was something wrong with the feed until I went through all 25 of my firefox windows to find that mosquito. I reloaded the page and got a different ad, but come on! I would never, ever, ever buy anything from someone with an ad like that. In fact, I don't even know what they were selling, just that it was so damn annoying.

Back on topic, I think that everyone will be really pleasantly suprised "before the end of the year." In fact, I think Apple purposely puts out false rumors to confuse everyone as to what is real and what is not. The hardest place to find a specific needle is in a stack of needles. There is definite competitive advantage to making everyone believe that the new ipods are going to be delayed only to release them say in Late August, September, or October in time to capture all of the holiday sales, but too late for the competitors to copy them.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    This proximity detector technology makes a lot of sense for an iPhone.

Everyone kept wondering where to put the click wheel on a phone.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

I think that near the end there it was for that rumored ultra portable pc Apple is working on.

So, about this whole thing. Let me make sure I'm understaning it. We're going to operate our ipods by just hovering our fingers over the top of the screen? is that right? That way the screen doesn't get smudgy with finger grease.

That would be pretty unergonomic. Just try it; it's much more difficult to have your hand hovering and moving around then it is to be resting your finger on something and moving around.

I think the point is that as your finger approaches the screen will change from the regular display to show the virtual click wheel. That way the click wheel is not always in the way. Like how the controls show up when you move the mouse in DVD Player or Finder slideshow full-screen view.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    could we see apple coming back to the pda market, or possily entering the UMPC one, Leopard could include touch screen components, the virtual keyboard suggests mre than merley an ipod, also judging by the diagram of the finger touching the screen this will be a umpc/tablet pc size
  • Reply 46 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by StephenC_IRL

could we see apple coming back to the pda market, or possily entering the UMPC one, Leopard could include touch screen components, the virtual keyboard suggests mre than merley an ipod, also judging by the diagram of the finger touching the screen this will be a umpc/tablet pc size

These patents were conceived ever before the term UMPC was coined. That crappy attempt will never succeed. Wait for Jan 2007. Thank God himself/herself I bought more shares @ $50.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by meelash

That would be pretty unergonomic. Just try it; it's much more difficult to have your hand hovering and moving around then it is to be resting your finger on something and moving around.

I think the point is that as your finger approaches the screen will change from the regular display to show the virtual click wheel. That way the click wheel is not always in the way. Like how the controls show up when you move the mouse in DVD Player or Finder slideshow full-screen view.

Ah yes, that makes a lot more sense to me, that's probably what it is. Although it would be interesting to see what a "non touch" interface would be like.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    benjbenj Posts: 68member
    Very very good album- in my opinion- I like to think my music tastes are broad. I like the Arctics but it kind of depends how yr introduced to them- if you got the hype first and then the band, instead of the Band first then the hype- you may be thinking they weren't all they were cracked up to be.

What the hell is this mosquito everyone is talking about?? Must be an american ad coz I'm not getting it at all in the UK.

BENj
  • Reply 49 of 53
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

@ Producer, I don't love the ads on this or any site, but I don't think the sounds were coming from this site. You may have had loop rumors open in the background.

• Reply 50 of 53
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Ah yes, that makes a lot more sense to me, that's probably what it is. Although it would be interesting to see what a "non touch" interface would be like.

Add a camera, and... voila!

(Yes, I'm going to wring every ounce out of that project I can... )
  • Reply 51 of 53
    just to add further WOWs to this thread WOW WOW

i really hope the item is not as big as the crappy diagrams suggest, that hand is almost as bad as the one from an earlier post

and i hadnt seen BenJ's pics before WOW i want one of those.. looks amazing the second one, fake or not is very cool.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Add a camera, and... voila!

(Yes, I'm going to wring every ounce out of that project I can... )

You mean this

[IMG][/IMG]

It's a rough version of a Screenie I am working on for the Leopard Screenshot Contest

• Reply 53 of 53
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dazabrit

You mean this

It's a rough version of a Screenie I am working on for the Leopard Screenshot Contest

Nice screenie ... I'm wondering if that kind of Star Trek geekability in a Mac OS would move IT people closer to thinking about the Mac.