Kiva.org

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, now, after this, we should sit back and think of more of a plan. Perhaps we would want to look at specific needs, rather than to just give in some numerical order.
  • Reply 41 of 106
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Do we dare dream of three loans funded?

Yes we dare, I jost topped Rose off $50, I think I'll shut my computer down too know, before I go broke.

Way to go!

Noah
  • Reply 43 of 106
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    588 is done.

I think melgross has a point.
  • Reply 44 of 106
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I think I'm...crying.

You guys are awesome.

I invite melgross to screen the next candidate and post his or her business number for solicitations.

Nick
  • Reply 45 of 106
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    So far we've helped knock out 588, 600, and 601. Keep it going, guys.
  • Reply 46 of 106
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Well, now, after this, we should sit back and think of more of a plan. Perhaps we would want to look at specific needs, rather than to just give in some numerical order.

I didn't go by numbers; I started with trumptman's suggestion of 600. The fact that I picked 601 after that was mere coincidence; I stumbled upon that one and only noticed the sequence afterwards.

I look at their stories and how compelling they are, plus whether the amount of money requested/required seems reasonable.
  • Reply 47 of 106
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

I think I'm...crying.

I know I am and I have to stop doing this for tonight. I really don't want to feel good about this or even think about it. It's kind of like I'm repaying a debt I never knew I owed. It feels more like penance than charity.
  • Reply 48 of 106
    Don't forget that you'll most likely get the money back. The site claims:

Quote:

Microfinance loans worldwide are generating repayment rates of 97% (UNCDF: Basic Facts About Microfinance). To date, Kiva?s repayment rate is 100%.

• Reply 49 of 106
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Don't forget that you'll most likely get the money back. The site claims:

That just means we can loan it out again.

Nick
  • Reply 50 of 106
    Quote:

That just means we can loan it out again.

Right, but you can also choose to withdraw it, as I understand it.
  • Reply 51 of 106
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Right, but you can also choose to withdraw it, as I understand it.

You can, but in the 18-24, however many months that takes, you can probably learn to leave it set aside to do some permanent good.

Nick
  • Reply 52 of 106
    Fair enough. A much better system than donations either way.
  • Reply 53 of 106
    Quote:

I think I'm...crying.

You guys are awesome.

I invite melgross to screen the next candidate and post his or her business number for solicitations.

Nick

I assume that we aren't going away. It's a bit late to start making these kind of judgements for me. If it's all right, I'd like to start looking tomorrow.

But, does anyone have any ideas as to just what we should be considering? I don't want to be saying to everyone what we should be looking for.

But, my thought was that we should possibly consider specific problems. This is all very difficult.

What I don't want to do is to give out a couple of hundred, in the next day or two, and then sit back, and forget all about it. But, realistically, we can't keep doing this on too much of a regular basis either.

So, perhaps we should discuss some issues we have found on the site, and decide how we will be doing it, and how often.

I don't invest willy nilly, and while this isn't actually an investment, we aren't a bank that has vast funding either.
  • Reply 54 of 106
    Quote:

I assume that we aren't going away. It's a bit late to start making these kind of judgements for me. If it's all right, I'd like to start looking tomorrow.

But, does anyone have any ideas as to just what we should be considering? I don't want to be saying to everyone what we should be looking for.

But, my thought was that we should possibly consider specific problems. This is all very difficult.

What I don't want to do is to give out a couple of hundred, in the next day or two, and then sit back, and forget all about it. But, realistically, we can't keep doing this on too much of a regular basis either.

So, perhaps we should discuss some issues we have found on the site, and decide how we will be doing it, and how often.

I don't invest willy nilly, and while this isn't actually an investment, we aren't a bank that has vast funding either.

The only criteria I used were the loan amounts, and the fact that they had 0% funding. I simply figured it would be neat if we could, as a group fully fund the loans, be able to link to and reply in the journals related to those loans, and then be able to share the results.

Perhaps from here we could try a chain where someone tries to get a loan funded in another forum type, using this thread as an example. Then the thread from that forum could be posted here as a link and proof that the goodwill has created more goodwill.

I'm open to other suggestions as well and have simply tossed these out to be helpful.

I also know we have some very well-educated professors on here who can help.

Nick
  • Reply 55 of 106
    Quote:

The only criteria I used were the loan amounts, and the fact that they had 0% funding. I simply figured it would be neat if we could, as a group fully fund the loans, be able to link to and reply in the journals related to those loans, and then be able to share the results.

Perhaps from here we could try a chain where someone tries to get a loan funded in another forum type, using this thread as an example. Then the thread from that forum could be posted here as a link and proof that the goodwill has created more goodwill.

I'm open to other suggestions as well and have simply tossed these out to be helpful.

I also know we have some very well-educated professors on here who can help.

Nick

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "another forum type". Are you saying that there are, or could be, other threads about this elsewhere? Because that does seem possible. Are you suggesting that we should look them up, possibly on Google, and connect with them?
  • Reply 56 of 106
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Ok, so I'm away for the computer for a few measly hours and you guys do all the good deeds. Well I couldn't let that happen so I randomly picked someone to kick out some cash to, but I will check the thread to see the next person picked and am down for another 25.00
  • Reply 57 of 106
    Quote:

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "another forum type". Are you saying that there are, or could be, other threads about this elsewhere? Because that does seem possible. Are you suggesting that we should look them up, possibly on Google, and connect with them?

I simply meant that people that enjoy posting in forums seldom post in just one. They often belong to other forums that reflect their other hobbies. A Mac user might also belong to say a Final Cut Pro forum, a Photoshop user forum, or something of that nature. I belong to a couple RV and camping forums, a couple stock boards, and ahem, a fitness forum for when I decide to get off my butt.

Your suggestion might be good as well. It isn't like I have any expertise and my view is anything that increases awareness and leads to more funded loans is good in my book.

Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

Ok, so I'm away for the computer for a few measly hours and you guys do all the good deeds. Well I couldn't let that happen so I randomly picked someone to kick out some cash to, but I will check the thread to see the next person picked and am down for another 25.00

Trick, it appears that someone pledged $25 to Grace, loan 601 put it in her basket, and then either couldn't or didn't follow up. So her loan is now $25 from fully funding. If you want to chip in there, I think that would be great.

At Applenova a request went out for loan number 592. If you feel compelled you can help fund that loan. You might also post it and information about Kiva in other places you frequent. If you want to post the links to the other places in this thread or reference this thread in other places that probably would be cool.

Nick
  • Reply 58 of 106
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Trick, it appears that someone pledged $25 to Grace, loan 601 put it in her basket, and then either couldn't or didn't follow up. So her loan is now $25 from fully funding.

I topped up the loan to Grace - I am a little worried that these loans keep on getting to the top and dropping back down again when there does not seem to be a way to cancel payments.

Anyway, hopefully it is not a scam that captures paypal passwords...
  • Reply 59 of 106
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Anyway, hopefully it is not a scam that captures paypal passwords...

PayPal doesn't hand out any account info. All the recipient sees is an e-mail address, and some related statistics.
  • Reply 60 of 106
    I read this thread this morning and was inspired and moved by it all so I've joined up and found someone with only 5% funded so far, hopefully my little $50 will help things along a bit. I think that this is a really positive development for the future, thanks to Nick for the heads-up.