Kiva.org

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    I believe I heard a story on NPR recently about Micro-Loans. I am very interested in participating in this and think it is a terrific idea.
  • Reply 82 of 106
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
  • Reply 83 of 106
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    OK, so Nick the Republican and BRussell the Democrat had a bet on the election, and since I won the bet (woohoo!) Nick has to give $100 to Kiva. I'll let him pick his client(s) and then post here.
  • Reply 84 of 106
    Actually upon examination, I discovered that wouldn't be nearly so fun.

I learned something cool about Kiva and cool for those of you looking for Christmas/Holiday gifts.

You can go to Kiva.org and purchase a gift card.

BRussell has been sent a PM that will allow him to redeem his gift card and loan the money associated with it out.

As the money is paid back, he can loan it out again and again. It really is a gift that keeps on giving.

Congrats on the election call BRussell. Your snooty high-falootin' polls beat out my ESP and then some.

As an update, the loan to Rose was completed and she has already made two payments on it.

Because two of the loans did not go through, I have the money associated with them still available to loan. BRussell can post who he has loaned to here and, assuming the loans are still open, I'll add the same amount to the loan he does.

Nick
  • Reply 85 of 106
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman

Actually upon examination, I discovered that wouldn't be nearly so fun.

I learned something cool about Kiva and cool for those of you looking for Christmas/Holiday gifts.

You can go to Kiva.org and purchase a gift card.

BRussell has been sent a PM that will allow him to redeem his gift card and loan the money associated with it out.

As the money is paid back, he can loan it out again and again. It really is a gift that keeps on giving.

Congrats on the election call BRussell. Your snooty high-falootin' polls beat out my ESP and then some.

As an update, the loan to Rose was completed and she has already made two payments on it.

Because two of the loans did not go through, I have the money associated with them still available to loan. BRussell can post who he has loaned to here and, assuming the loans are still open, I'll add the same amount to the loan he does.

Nick

I love this place because of guys like you... and I just received a PM from an old friend of mine and ours and it has blessed the socks off of me and made me a little emotional.

God Bless you all....

Fellowship
  • Reply 86 of 106
    You are a good man, Nick.
  • Reply 87 of 106
    I just discovered this thread.
  • Reply 88 of 106
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

OK, so Nick the Republican and BRussell the Democrat had a bet on the election, and since I won the bet (woohoo!) Nick has to give $100 to Kiva. I'll let him pick his client(s) and then post here.

Très cool!
  • Reply 89 of 106
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    FWIW:

$150 total, $25 each

588: begun August 13, $5.56 paid back

600: cancelled, nothing paid back yet

601: cancelled, nothing paid back yet

823: begun October 09, $1.40 paid back

834: no start date set

847: no start date set
  • Reply 90 of 106
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    OK, so I got the $100 gift card from Nick and I've put it in the following:

1558, 1620, and 1622. I gave kiva the requested donations of 10% ($2.50 for each of the $25 loans), but then I couldn't give a 4th loan because I only had $20 left, so I just donated that to kiva as well.
  • Reply 91 of 106
    BRussell rocks. I gave $25 to those three loans as well.

Chucker double rocks just because he updates regarding his loans.

Nick
  • Reply 92 of 106
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Christmas is coming, people. Let's do some good with that money you have earmarked for iPods.
  • Reply 93 of 106
    CNN

Quote:

"We must address the root causes of terrorism to end it for all time," he said. "I believe putting resources into improving the lives of poor people is a better strategy than spending it on guns."

Pick some loans people.

Nick
  • Reply 94 of 106
    A little self-conversation perhaps, but just thought I would toss out a Kiva update.

Loan 588 is 66% repaid

Loan 1558 is 16% repaid

Loan 1620 is 25% repaid

Loan 1622 is 8% repaid

The latter three loans were started later and thus are not as far along in terms of repayment.

There was a thread recently in PO where illegal immigration was discussed. Many parties concurred that regardless of where you stand in the political spectrum, investment in Mexico would be a good thing.

So I conveniently have three loans that need funding from... tada Mexico.

Leobardo Camacho

Maricela Ruiz

Juana Reyna

If you decide to loan to these or any other loans, please share here. Those tax returns are coming in. Kiva has this to say about repayment.

So far, Kiva has experienced a 100% repayment rate on all businesses with completed loan terms.

Nick
  • Reply 95 of 106
    Just thought I would share that two of my Kiva.org loans have been fully repaid and thus the funds are available to lend out again.

Rose Mbabazi

Maria Aguas

This means I now have $100.00 of Kiva credit to reloan. I'll use it to match the first four seperate loans that different people here contribute to at Kiva. If you really enjoy being cruel to me someone can fund $100 of loans themselves (spread across multiple loans if they so choose) and I'll toss in another $100 to match it.

What say you fellow Appleinsiders and Mac users?

$100 to match four $25 contributions from four different (hopefully new) people.

$100 to match the $100 worth of contributions from one person in whatever loans they desire.

Nick
  • Reply 96 of 106
    Wow!

Quote:

Due to a recent surge in support ignited by viewers of the Oprah Winfrey Show and readers of President Clinton's newly released book Giving, there is currently a shortage of businesses in need of loans. The Kiva.org staff and our Field Partners are working overtime to get more businesses on the website. In the meantime, thank you for your patience!

Nick
  • Reply 97 of 106
    That's crazy, I haven't really had time to reply, but I have a loan that was repaid and I need to find a new loan for and my other loan has been making timely payments.
  • Reply 98 of 106
    WOW I wondered what the book was about..

That is cook Nick.

Fellows
  • Reply 99 of 106
    I have had three loans repaid and today I decided to reinvest the $75 back into three loans. One of them fully funded but I submit the other two for your consideration.

Julio

Fatmeh Group

Fatimakhon

I'll match $100 to four new contributors to Kiva.org. You join and contribute $25 toward a loan and I'll match the first four people between here and Applenova.

Here is my lender page if you want to view the performance of past and present loans. As you can see, I've been recycling funds paid back to new loans. If any of you have lender pages or updates please let us know.

Give it up folks.
  • Reply 100 of 106
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I have had three loans repaid and today I decided to reinvest the $75 back into three loans. One of them fully funded but I submit the other two for your consideration.

Julio

Fatmeh Group

Fatimakhon

I'll match $100 to four new contributors to Kiva.org. You join and contribute $25 toward a loan and I'll match the first four people between here and Applenova.

Here is my lender page if you want to view the performance of past and present loans. As you can see, I've been recycling funds paid back to new loans. If any of you have lender pages or updates please let us know.

Give it up folks.

Cool stuff,,,

Look at this Nick,,,

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayof...use/index.html

Just amazing...

Fellows