Apple's wireless Mighty Mouse revealed (photos)

1246

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 112
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by SpamSandwich

    Frankly, I suspect this little leak... those photos are nowhere NEAR good enough to be submitted for patent protection, and they are also non-instructive. My vote is: TIB (This Is Bullshit)



    Sure about that now? Last chance to change your vote!
  • Reply 62 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,028member
    So many comments on such an insignificant product. Only in Appleland.
  • Reply 63 of 112
    I hope this doesn't become standard on desktops - it'd kill Apple's "take it out, plug it in, turn it on" thing - you'd need a spare KB/mouse to set it up, right?
  • Reply 64 of 112
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

    I hope this doesn't become standard on desktops - it'd kill Apple's "take it out, plug it in, turn it on" thing - you'd need a spare KB/mouse to set it up, right?



    Not if the drivers come pre-installed. Knowing Apple, they'd probably even include the batteries.



    Still, that raises a question: why would Apple include an installation CD instead of just including the driver on the next OSX update? Perhaps the CD is required only for older versions of OSX?
  • Reply 65 of 112
    Quote:

    Originally posted by jamezog

    Not if the drivers come pre-installed. Knowing Apple, they'd probably even include the batteries.



    Still, that raises a question: why would Apple include an installation CD instead of just including the driver on the next OSX update? Perhaps the CD is required only for older versions of OSX?




    To make it work w/ Windows??
  • Reply 66 of 112
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

    I hope this doesn't become standard on desktops - it'd kill Apple's "take it out, plug it in, turn it on" thing - you'd need a spare KB/mouse to set it up, right?



    When you set Mac OS X up it will set up any bluetooth mouse or keyboard before anything else if there is no USB keyboard/mouse plugged in.
  • Reply 67 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,028member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

    To make it work w/ Windows??



    This really isn't an issue. If Apple wants this mouse to work, it will work, including with Windows. Even on a new install.
  • Reply 68 of 112
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    This really isn't an issue. If Apple wants this mouse to work, it will work, including with Windows. Even on a new install.



    No, I mean if Boot Camp doesn't have those drivers yet - or if they want to sell to an actual PC.
  • Reply 69 of 112
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

    No, I mean if Boot Camp doesn't have those drivers yet - or if they want to sell to an actual PC.



    I'm not sure that you'd see Apple equipment being sold standard with a desktop PC - unless you were doing some serious customizing, but then you'd be having to install drivers anyway.



    I'd imagine Boot Camp will include a patch for the new mouse on machines that include it. This is Apple after all - they're the best in the business for making sure that hardware and software work together seamlessly (something I discovered when I tried to download a driver for my printer when I first bought my Mac, only to find that it came pre-loaded with OS X). I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  • Reply 70 of 112
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by jamezog

    (something I discovered when I tried to download a driver for my printer when I first bought my Mac, only to find that it came pre-loaded with OS X). I don't think you have anything to worry about.



    Actually, that's probably because CUPS project includes all those drivers by default. CUPS is what Apple uses for their printer system in OS X. Apple probably didn't need to do much to make it work.
  • Reply 71 of 112
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

    My thoughts exactly!





    I was wondering though - Didnt SteveO say something about batteries being a stupid thing that they wanted to overcome? Might have been on KeyNoteCrack though...




    That was in reference to MP3 players - my bluetooth keyboard is used for at least a couple of hours every day ands gets through only 4 batteries (one set) a year. Although - a chargeable system would be better - but more expensive.
  • Reply 72 of 112
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JeffDM

    Actually, that's probably because CUPS project includes all those drivers by default. CUPS is what Apple uses for their printer system in OS X. Apple probably didn't need to do much to make it work.



    Depends on the printer. Apple includes both CUPS drivers and also printer specific drivers for the most popular models. If you can use them, the printer specific drivers are generally better formed and have more useful utilities attached like printer tests and ink levels. The CUPS drivers are useful though for internet shared printer use.
  • Reply 73 of 112
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aegisdesign

    Depends on the printer. Apple includes both CUPS drivers and also printer specific drivers for the most popular models. If you can use them, the printer specific drivers are generally better formed and have more useful utilities attached like printer tests and ink levels. The CUPS drivers are useful though for internet shared printer use.



    Useful info. Thanks, Jeff and Aegis - I was wondering how Apple handled that.
  • Reply 74 of 112
    pbpb Posts: 4,234member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    So many comments on such an insignificant product. Only in Appleland.



    Yes, it is insignificant in itself, but not when seen in context (that is in the Apple world). And it is Apple responsible for that, since it kept the one button mouse for so long, rightly or not.
  • Reply 75 of 112
    mimacmimac Posts: 871member
    New Mighty Mouse is OK though I think I'll stick with my trusty Logitech MX until they get that damn scroll ball sorted.
  • Reply 76 of 112
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MiMac

    New Mighty Mouse is OK though I think I'll stick with my trusty Logitech MX until they get that damn scroll ball sorted.



    The first one I had was terrible and was gumked up and stuck within weeks. Second one, better. Third mouse has been great.



    Gotta love that 12 month warranty.
  • Reply 77 of 112
    irelandireland Posts: 17,751member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aegisdesign

    Gotta love that 12 month warranty.



    Absolutely, I rang Apple today to complain about the scrollball being stuck still after I tried to clean it too many times, and by the time I got off the call after about 10 mins they agreed to send me on a New free wireless Mighty Mouse, and let me keep the wired one too. Woop! They said it's a once off thing, they always say that.





    p.s. Wait for three weeks you'll see more comments from me complaining about another stuck Scrollball.
  • Reply 78 of 112
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by midwinter

    Oh dear god. Next we'll talking about mooses and deers.



    Where are my mouses?
  • Reply 79 of 112
    niksternikster Posts: 14member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aegisdesign

    The first one I had was terrible and was gumked up and stuck within weeks. Second one, better. Third mouse has been great.



    Gotta love that 12 month warranty.




    Oh, cool.. <running off to check his warranty>
  • Reply 80 of 112
    niksternikster Posts: 14member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ireland

    Absolutely, I rang Apple today to complain about the scrollball being stuck still after I tried to clean it too many times, and by the time I got off the call after about 10 mins they agreed to send me on a New free wireless Mighty Mouse, and let me keep the wired one too. Woop! They said it's a once off thing, they always say that.





    p.s. Wait for three weeks you'll see more comments from me complaining about another stuck Scrollball.




    Please let this thread know if the new version has the left and right buttons issue fixed, e.g. if you can click either one while leaving all fingers on the mouse.



    From the official Apple page, it sure looks like there are two click sensors in front now...
Sign In or Register to comment.