Apple's wireless Mighty Mouse now available

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

How about cleaning *your* hands before you use the mouse.

Or design a real mouse.
  • Reply 22 of 111
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    It's not too much of a problem to clean the track ball. All you have to do is get a damp cloth and roll it over the ball. Problem solved, you don't even need to do it vey often.

That said, I hate using a mac without a mighty mouse. Being able to use expose with a push of a button on the mouse is incredibly convenient.
  • Reply 23 of 111
    I love my corded Mighty Mouse. As I'm planning on upgrading my aging G4 733 tower to a Mac Book Pro sometime soon, this comes with perfect timing.
  • Reply 24 of 111
    gruthgruth Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Mighty Mouse: now with 35% more lead.

I seriously doubt that this is the reason. I just talked with my partner, who does ROHS compliance for Sun, and she thought that there'd be no way that a wireless mouse would need to have lead (or the other 5 banned substances) in it. So it seems more likely that it's just Apple's screwy supply chain issues that are making it not yet appear in the UK.
  • Reply 25 of 111
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    So I guess adding a second AA battery simply extends battery life?
  • Reply 26 of 111
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gruth

I seriously doubt that this is the reason. I just talked with my partner, who does ROHS compliance for Sun, and she thought that there'd be no way that a wireless mouse would need to have lead (or the other 5 banned substances) in it. So it seems more likely that it's just Apple's screwy supply chain issues that are making it not yet appear in the UK.

It is in stock and available now in UK Apple Stores and has been since earlier today. £49.
  • Reply 27 of 111
    westwest Posts: 34member
    Is the older BT mouse still available? I don't know if it's just me, but I prefer the looks of the old one much more than the mighty mouse. I think it's because of the coating of clear plastic over the white, rather than the mouse just being plain white plastic. The new BT mighty mouse looks cheaper than the old BT mouse. I was kind of hoping the would make it look a little different.
  • Reply 28 of 111
    Both are available.
  • Reply 29 of 111
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

But where, oh where, are the bluetooth trackballs? *sniff*

Bluetooth trackball:

http://www.chwangyi.com/the_ball.html

I don't know why you'd want Bluetooth for something you leave in the same place on your desk all the time though.
  • Reply 30 of 111
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    There doesn't appear to be an education discount on this mouse. Can anyone confirm?

Dave
  • Reply 31 of 111
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

eh, but it might be a good idea anyways:

" In fact, the average desk harbors 400 times more bacteria than the average toilet seat.

So we can assume that Apple encourages good computing hygiene . When the ball gums up, it's time to disinfect your desk.

Or maybe that worrying about surface bacteria is about the dumbest thing in the world and a scam perpetrated by disinfectant companies to sell their products.
  • Reply 32 of 111
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

Why not make a mouse that has two real .. snip .. buttons, like all the other mouse makers out there?!!???!!

It has two real buttons, there's just no crack in between the them? Why do you want a crack so much?

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

There doesn't appear to be an education discount on this mouse. Can anyone confirm?

Nope, the old one does though. Darn, that's a bummer.

I'm torn, I have no problem using my MBP trackpad, with the two finger contextual menus and the scrolling and whatnought. But this looks fun to use too. Which solution is better? I'll have to go with the trackpad since I won't have to carry the mouse around with me, and I can use it on my lap sitting on the couch.
  • Reply 33 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

It has two real buttons, there's just no crack in between the them? Why do you want a crack so much?

Because it's not two real buttons and cannot be used as efficiently as a real second button. The proximity sensing demands that a finger to be away from the left mouse button in order to click the right mouse button, which isn't ergonomic. It's a contrived solution.

Left-handed use of this mouse is exceedingly irritating too because it would assume the secondary button for every click.
  • Reply 34 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by arlodesign

Anyone else notice that the preference pane is different?

Those of us with corded Mighty Mouses (Mice? Mousesses?) would like these features, too.

I get a similar preference pane with the wired model, the difference is a combobox rather than two checkboxes for horizontal and vertical scrolling and a zoom control.
  • Reply 35 of 111
    westwest Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Quote:

Left-handed use of this mouse is exceedingly irritating too because it would assume the secondary button for every click.

You can program either button to perform either click.
  • Reply 36 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by West

You can program either button to perform either click. [/B]

In theory, yes, but the proximity sensing still throws a monkey wrench because a finger near the secondary button while clicking the primary button registers as a secondary button click.
  • Reply 37 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

It is in stock and available now in UK Apple Stores and has been since earlier today. £49.

its actually £39, approx $60
  • Reply 38 of 111
    In my opinion, I think Apple should lower the wired one to $29, and the Bluetooth one to $49.
  • Reply 39 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by nay_acharya

its actually £39, approx $60

Nope. That's the normal BT mouse. The BT Mighty Mouse is £49.
  • Reply 40 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

Dave

It's eight bucks cheaper with the edu discount in Canada.