Apple hears the MacBook Pro whining sound

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by jvolino

AppleInsider's grammar ace stikes again:

"irritable" means "easily irritated or annoyed," which perhaps some people believe a computer can be, but typically they are not.

The author should have said "irritating" as in "to rouse to impatience or anger; annoy"

"Terse" could have been used in lieu of "curt."

--Judd

Since we're being nitpicky (after all, isn't that the whole point of these forums?), I feel the need to mention that you're talking about AppleInsider's Vocab Ace, not their Grammar Ace. To be sure, their Grammar Ace strikes often and hard as well.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

How is that statement curt? Apple is saying what the problem is and what you should do to fix it. Sounds pretty good to me ... why inundate people with useless information. If your MBP is screaming like a bitch, call Apple. That's all I need to know ... nothing more.

It's curt in the sense that it's very brief. (Not curt as in rude)

Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Hey at least all this means that the legendary "rev B"s have got to be perfect by the time they drop.

I've seen reports that new ones are dead silent, looks like all of the noises may be fixed.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

In part yes. It means mostly that Apple found a solution at last.

No, it means Intel realized the problem and Apple got Intel to pay for the replacements.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

could they possibly be using less thermal paste?

The thermal paste wasn't the problem. What happened was the guy that took off the thermal paste and reapplied it didn't manage to rehookup the thermometers correctly, so the fans went in overdrive all the time (similar to how a G5 tower acts without that plastic.... thing). That's what made it cooler.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    recompilerecompile Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HammerIntoApple

Does anyone have an email address for Applecare? Last time I phoned them, their phone service was awaful.

I have had no less than excellent service from AppleCare over the years. But occasionally you get someone that answers your call that is "Not so excellent". This unfortunately is the human race factor. If you just hang up, and call them right back, you will get someone new to help you. It is kind of like the tech support version of a reboot.

Hope that solves it for you!
  • Reply 26 of 61
    recompilerecompile Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mariofreak85

TWO!? What do u need two for? I say you give one to me.

There it is again!!! Did you here the whine!
  • Reply 27 of 61
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I have one of the MBP's and while Apple appears to be doing the right thing, they are dragging their feet. I have been waiting a week on Apple Engineering to call me back and let me know what to do with my MBP.

It has already been in for a dead track pad and invertor swap which didn't help the problem.

I am ready to get the buzz/whine fixed.

It is nice they finally admit it and to all those jerks that said we were hearing things, UP YOURS!

I'd just go straight to an Apple Store. That's what one of my clients did yesterday for his whining mbp... and he picks it up today after the repair!
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by HammerIntoApple

Does anyone have an email address for Applecare? Last time I phoned them, their phone service was awaful.

Don't call Applecare in Japan, they might not know what a MacBook is!

Seriously, I called them two years ago and compared my then current machine to my older MacPlus. I was asked, by none other than the chief of the Call Center, "Is that an Apple Product?" I called several other Apple Japan numbers and nobody knew what a MacPlus was.

I don't believe in the human factor; it is training. If the company trains its phone reps well, they provide good service. I get the impression from reading these boards that Apple teaches its reps to be evasive; somewhere here or on Apple's site I read the way to deal with them is to be firm but polite. What ever happened to the old adage, "The customer is always right"? If it ever happens again, ask to speak to a supervisor; if they refuse or you still do not get good service even from the supervisor, write Steve Jobs directly (I was told this by AppleCare USA after calling them about the problem above in Japan). The girl I spoke to in California sounded great and she knew her stuff, down to the month of release of the MacPlus (I would have been happy if she had knewn it was in the mid 80's and was an all-in-one and had seen a phot of one).
  • Reply 29 of 61
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

I don't believe in the human factor; it is training. If the company trains its phone reps well, they provide good service. I get the impression from reading these boards that Apple teaches its reps to be evasive; somewhere here or on Apple's site I read the way to deal with them is to be firm but polite.

Well, you must consider the human factor b/c that is the reality of the work place. I've had plenty of jobs where the folks were "trained" yet...some of those people a) did their jobs horribly b) didn't do their jobs, etc.

Not to be too recursive, but people will do what people will do.

in my < 10 calls to Apple, each time was a quick, polite & useful experience...including the one which arranged for the repair of my whiny MBP.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Can anyone post a soundbite of what this noise sounds like? Seriously, no sarcastic noises, either. I hear something from my MBP but I don't know if it is classified as the reported "whining" sound. Thanks.

UPDATE: Is it this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oRp1W_bN4rA&search=macbook
  • Reply 31 of 61
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    So...what is the fix?

A new motherboard?

Maybe it is possible to upgrade to a Merom macbook pro when they come out for an additional fee?
  • Reply 32 of 61
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Don't call Applecare in Japan, they might not know what a MacBook is!

Seriously, I called them two years ago and compared my then current machine to my older MacPlus. I was asked, by none other than the chief of the Call Center, "Is that an Apple Product?" I called several other Apple Japan numbers and nobody knew what a MacPlus was.

I don't believe in the human factor; it is training. If the company trains its phone reps well, they provide good service. I get the impression from reading these boards that Apple teaches its reps to be evasive; somewhere here or on Apple's site I read the way to deal with them is to be firm but polite. What ever happened to the old adage, "The customer is always right"? If it ever happens again, ask to speak to a supervisor; if they refuse or you still do not get good service even from the supervisor, write Steve Jobs directly (I was told this by AppleCare USA after calling them about the problem above in Japan). The girl I spoke to in California sounded great and she knew her stuff, down to the month of release of the MacPlus (I would have been happy if she had knewn it was in the mid 80's and was an all-in-one and had seen a phot of one).

Why in the name of the kami would you still be using a MacPlus two years ago? Did you carry it to Japan then, or had you been using it straight through? Akihabara, my lad, trade it in, or sell it to a MacFreek as an antique-- or alternatively, turn it into an aquarium.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    My MacPlus was a tried and true and very trusted friend that did the job I needed it to do and I held on to it for as long as I could. It was a really great machine. Ofcourse, along the way I had other Macs, but there was always a desk set up for the Plus and its printer. Only when I moved to a smaller house was I forced to part with it; in the 13 years I had it, it never had a single problem (except for a lost key but that was definitely my fault), even after travelling the globe in a box to three diffferent assignment areas. I wish Apple could still make their machines like that one.

If I have heard the rumors right, Tom Clancy still uses a Plus to write his novels; he prefers the keyboard to anything released since, and I agree with him- the keyboard on the Plus was great.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

My MacPlus was a tried and true and very trusted friend that did the job I needed it to do and I held on to it for as long as I could. It was a really great machine. Ofcourse, along the way I had other Macs, but there was always a desk set up for the Plus and its printer. Only when I moved to a smaller house was I forced to part with it; in the 13 years I had it, it never had a single problem (except for a lost key but that was definitely my fault), even after travelling the globe in a box to three diffferent assignment areas. I wish Apple could still make their machines like that one.

I think it is a bit much to expect any company to be able support a 10+ year old computer. That said, they do seem to keep a lot of their old files available. I do like it when a company keeps that stuff available. Heck, HP still has a lot of support information for my DEC Alpha system and a Compaq systems now about nine years old.

It may be good to make sure the machine in question was ever sold in the country you are in. I don't know about that particular one.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I didn't suggest that the company didn't support the computer; I simply said that I took the computer with me. Call it sentimental attachment or dedication or whatever, I chose to carry it and to keep it in use for 13 years because I liked the machine and it covered my needs.

The MacPlus was a very well-made machine, far better built than the Apples of today. I also suggested that I wish Apple would produce machines of the same physical quality today (i.e., no problems in 13 years of daily use).

I am typing now on a dual 2.0 G5 with 2GB RAM and 2 500 GB hard drives internally, a step up from the Plus, but a machine that is here only after a long string of problems my Plus never had.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I didn't suggest that the company didn't support the computer; I simply said that I took the computer with me. Call it sentimental attachment or dedication or whatever, I chose to carry it and to keep it in use for 13 years because I liked the machine and it covered my needs.

That's fine and admirable, but why did you have an issue with some of the Apple Support people not knowing what a MacPlus is?
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Quote:

If I have heard the rumors right, Tom Clancy still uses a Plus to write his novels; he prefers the keyboard to anything released since, and I agree with him- the keyboard on the Plus was great.

I, too, am an original Mac owner-- bought mine about a week after they came out with that whopping 128k of memory. OooooH. I did the 512 upgrade and everything else that came along, so I know the feeling. I also bought every single version of KanjiTalk and a whole slew of Japanese software products over the years and I did in fact carry mine back and forth across the pacific several times before buying that wonderful little Apple Portable 100 made by Sony, I recall. That one burned melt nearly through the bottom when I left it on on a futon running once, but it was fun.

I hear you about reliablily and the size and the utility of the original hardware configuration. I wasn't putting you down, just wondering how you couldn't get service Japan IF you were in Tokyo. Anywhere else, until three or four years ago, it was hopeless since Canon did that and you had to really find a MacFreak in every local area to get help. I've carried my G3 Pismo and my Powerbook G4 ALbook everywhere, but I stopped carrying that original long ago-- too little software for today's uses, even wordprocessing. I do have a semi-comatose one in my office though, up on a shelf, just waiting for the day when someone will ask what it is....
  • Reply 38 of 61
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    blablabla

What is the fix?
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by drazztikka

blablabla

What is the fix?

Shut Down and call the Apple number at the top of the thread?
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Just spoke with the wife who needs a new notebook. I want her to get a Mac, of course (probably a MBP), but simply cannot recommend one to her due to the history of problems I have had and the problems showing up on these boards.

She agreed, saying that at her company of 180 employees, they have never had a single hardware problem with a PC, with several hundred purchases over the years. Not a single problem. Sony. Dell. Toshiba.

She said it is obvious that some makers care about making good products, whereas others try to blind everyone into buying theirs. We will go to the Apple Store in Tokyo in a week or two and discuss things with the salespeople there, but she is skeptical of buying Apple.