What Mac are you currently using? upgrading soon?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    We are using a Powerbook 1.25 Ghz. My dad worked for Apple during the classic to LCII period. We used to play simcity classic and 2000. For entertainment we used Kidpix, loads of fun back in the days.

I think a new iMac will be our next purchase, my brother needs Windows for some apps for school.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-Dog

eMac 1 GHz for day to day and a trusty old Apple IIe for a little fun on the side.

I just get a kick out of playing with the Phaser audio software and drawing shapes with the Turtle programming on the IIe.

Cool thing is that the IIe is still the most reliable system I've ever had. I can't even remember ever having a problem with it.

In 2003, my high school physics lab was still using 7 or 8 IIe's for a bunch of experiments. Ironic thing is, there were also 6 brand new dells in the room as part of the school's computers in every classroom program. What were the Dell's used for? Networked UT, RedAlert, and Worms Armageddon during study periods and lunch.

The room also had built in sinks on the four lab stations that the IIe's were on. One night one of the faucets had a major break and completely soaked the 2 computers on that station. We gave them two days to dry out and turned them on... Worked just fine.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

There is nothing Apple can present that would make me want to upgrade my hardware for at least a couple of years.

Wanna bet?

I'm sure we've all said this from time to time, and yet look at all the people in this thread looking to relatively new macs for something newer.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    I'm an illustrator and got a mac mini a year ago, putting in 1Gb of Ram myself-exciting, nice to do it yourself- rather than wait for the Intel stuff, and with new Photoshop not ready 'til next year it looks like I made the right decision.

A faster machine would of course be a little nicer but the mini is more than adequate for the mostly small scale stuff that I do. Check out the custom heatsink though, fabricated at great time and expense by laying copper etching offcuts onto a biscuit tin lid. Stopped that irritating clicking sound whenever it got too hot.

Way more important was to go for the 20" Cinema Display. More elbow room and seeing more of the image at a time has made a huge difference.

The LCD looked awful, especially for photos until I shelled out for an Eye-One Display calibrator. Now all is as it should be.

OSX was probably the biggest jump for me.

• Reply 45 of 64
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I have an old powerbook 160 and PM 6500. My wife has an HP pc with and an Athlon 2800 cpu. That computer could have an 'accident' real soon. It could be irrepairably damaged if iMac gets conroe next week.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I have no Mac, having sold it a while ago, and plan on buying a Mac Pro immediamente following the announcement.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    My work QS dual 1.0 is getting a little long in the tooth, mainly because of the limited # of RAM slots. Believe it or not, 1.5 GB is just not cutting it AT ALL for Adobe CS2 apps. It's boggy and crashy by 2 in the afternoon every day. I find myself having to quit one app before I launch another, like back in the good old days with my Centris. I mainly want something that'll hold at least 4 gig of RAM, so I'm leaning towards picking up a used mid-range G5 after the Power Macs go intel. Probably a rev-B dual 2.0 or 2.3, if one can be had for ~1000.00.

My 1.25 Powerbook G4 still seems fine for what I use it for, & my G5 at home is still kicking ass & taking names, so I have no intention of replacing either of them any time soon.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    What are you guys - millionaires?

I'm still getting by with my IIg, thanks to a modem I picked up at a garage sale last week. Breath some new life into the old girl.

Hee Hee, loved how the Dells were used for Red Alert, mostly.

I miss Red Alert.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Hmm the Powerbook I have now will do for a while, seeing as I'm purchasing a Conroe setup in January. Why? Supreme Commander, Crysis, direct x10 graphics cards, and on windows you can overclock the a 1.83Ghz Conroe to 3Ghz on air.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Woops, durn
  • Reply 51 of 64
    [QUOTE=Banalltv][QUOTE=Mac~N~Cheese]What are you guys - millionaires?
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac~N~Cheese

I'm still getting by with my IIg, thanks to a modem I picked up at a garage sale last week. Breath some new life into the old girl.

I miss Red Alert.

Mine's work-related so I get a tax break, otherwise I'm not sure I'd even have a computer. That's a lot of nights out in that shiny box there...
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac~N~Cheese

I miss Red Alert.

No, but probably at least thousandaires....
  • Reply 54 of 64
    I jest upgraded from a 17"/1st generation iMac G5/1.8GHz/512MB RAM to a BlackBook/2GHz/1GB RAM

love it
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

All I had was wordmunchers, sim city 2000, and mario teaches typing... \

I guess that's why I got into Hypercard...

the school system around down in florida still uses mario teaches typing on g4 eMacs for the typing class.\
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO

the school system around down in florida still uses mario teaches typing on g4 eMacs for the typing class.\

You would think they'd have a new typing game by now. I think most STILL use Mavis Beacon (I hated that bitch) and Mario.

Remember this?

2nd level...

"The American Revolution...blah blah blah blah blah...."

I think I can still type the words "American Revolution" faster than most can type their own name.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Wasn't there an awesome PC/Dreamcast game where you typed like hell to kill the hordes of zombies clunking towards you?
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Scary zombie game + third graders = a lot of checking the closet for monsters.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    i'm using a vpr matrix, its a windows runned system, but as soon as the mac pro is released im jumping to the light side. i went 3 years with out a problem with my windows, yeah i think its a record, then clear out of the blue, im hit with 20 or so differen't virus. so im looking forward to the switch it wll be an ease of mind for sure
  • Reply 60 of 64
    I have an iBook 14" at 1.33 GHz, with 768 MB RAM running Tiger.

I'm hoping for a low-end or mid-end Mac Pro this month, but it depends on whether I get a TA job, and whether I can convince my parents to let me raid some savings to get it. I have a nice education fund with extra money to spare, and $2200 in savings beyond the $2400 I made this summer.

Ideal set-up: Quad-core Mac Pro (2.0 or 2.33 GHz) w/ 2-3 GB RAM, 2x250 GB HDD, 20" LCD (not ACD, too expensive), eyeTV EZ.