Report confirms dismantling of Apple forum staff

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer has decided to do away with its discussion support team, a group of forum hosts that have monitored and moderated its user discussion boards, a new report has confirmed.

According to an article at The Mac Observer, the team was recently dismantled after Apple management began to question the value of the boards.

"The end result, however, has been a marked decrease in the quality of discussions, and an increase in everything from rudeness to instructions on pirating music and software," the report states.

It's believed that Apple started to break down the discussion support team late last month. Specifically, AppleInsider sources indicated that Apple began dismissing the majority of the staff members on June 29th.

The Apple Discussion boards have long been a resource for Apple customers to report problems with the company's products and receive helpful advice on how to solve those problems from other users and forum staff members.

At times, the boards also became a focal point of the online and mainstream media due to questionable moderation practices. To the dismay of customers, it wasn't uncommon for staff members to close or completely remove lengthy discussion threads that brought attention to problems with Apple products that the company had yet to officially recognize.

But Apple's decision to do away with its moderation staff has only added to the complaints users have about the boards.

"The forums have declined to such a state that they are certainly a disgrace to the Apple Corporation," one user wrote. "I don't know if any of the upper echelon from Apple ever visit, but they should. They would get a rude awaking."

Another added, "It is unfortunate that whomever is in charge, and their management, does not recognize what these forums have contributed in the past, and what they've lost by the decision to let go a team of support professionals that were extremely dedicated to improving Apple's customer support."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    craigb6craigb6 Posts: 16member
    I thought this might happen. Whenever a website is talking about a problem with an Apple product, for example the MB discolouring, they would link to the Apple forums. Then you'd find a few days later that the thread had been closed. The forums put Apple in a bad light, mainly for them always closing threads.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    The forums are (were?) definitely moderated en masse by Emmanuel Goldstein himself.

If one would be so bold as to imply that something within the Mac/Apple realm was faulty, needed redesign and suggested procedures/methods for improvement, it was a sure way to get that posting removed.

Also, most--if not all--of the solutions simply involved reinstalling the entire OS, even if that problem happened to be, oh, the wrong font was showing up or some other trivial matter.

Reminds me of the time a dealer suggested I replace my engine since my back seat was creaking.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    It's been a long time since I used them, but it used to be that the discussions were the ONLY way to get support on most issues for me. Answers came from other users as much as moderators and it was all very helpful. I guess things have changed since my last visit?
  • Reply 4 of 58
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I really don't see a benefit for any large corporation to run an open forum because of the time it takes to deal with random crank posters and the tensions that rise over any disagreement.

If they are going to kill threads regarding problems with their products, then it's not really much of a support forum.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    In the last several months, I've been an habitué of the Apple Forums. IMHO, the "disappearing thread" phenomenon occurs because, at some point, the "flame" posts become a little out of control. Yet, I've never really seen any threads get that out of hand...With prudent moderating..any -good- thread can be brought back to life.

So, w/the removal of Apple's Support team on their forums..does that mean the support forums are going to disappear as well?

If so, that positions AI and/or MR for some heavy traffic.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I never got anything helpful out of them anyway. I didn't think the people were very friendly either. Also, as pointed out, the most important threads just got locked or deleted. Stupid forum IMO and good riddance.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    There were/are some very knowledgeable people who frequented the Apple forums, at least the ARD and Server portions. I haven't been there in a while but when I had a problem that I couldn't find a solution for I was almost guaranteed to find it there. To bad.

The best part is that people were there to ask and answer computer related questions. There was no AppleOutsider (PoliticalOutsider) BS that spewed in to the other sub-forums.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    It'll be sad if Apple's forums go away. I certainly was able to extract as well as add useful information from/to them. Sure the useful info sometimes was few and far between the "reinstall everything" solutions, but you usually at least got quite a few responses to questions. In other words, there was a critical mass of people there which is hard to get elsewhere.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    That's too bad. The Discussions are a great and valuable resource.

I disagree with macinthe408. The solutions provided there are usually right on and address the specific issue you are experiencing. You can get most questions answered just by using the search function. The people there, for the most part, are extremely friendly and willing to help.

Questions are also answered a lot faster and more reliably when compared to other Apple forums.

Many topics are locked or deleted because they stop being useful. Is a thread that has 50 people saying their MacBook stains really useful? No one is offering help and threadjacking occurs. Then people start complaining. The Discussions are meant to help people get questions answered, not house threads with people complaining. You can't get help in a thread where 50 people are complaining.

applerocks
  • Reply 10 of 58
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I agree with the pro-forum sentiments. Without honest feedback and questions from Apple's most valuable partners (it's customers) they risk further fencing themselves off and shutting good (and bad) opinions off completely.

This sucks, Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    NOOOO....

The Apple forums have every problem I've ever experienced. I thought that was one of the best things about Apple's Support system. and it's free no matter how old and out of warranty your stuff is.

I place no blame on the moderators for removing posts that criticized the design of the computer. It's a support forum not a feedback forum!

and so no, Johnny Krz, things haven't changed, in my experience. If this is true it's really bad news at least for me...
  • Reply 12 of 58
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I really don't see a benefit for any large corporation to run an open forum because of the time it takes to deal with random crank posters and the tensions that rise over any disagreement.

If they are going to kill threads regarding problems with their products, then it's not really much of a support forum.

A lot of companies do have boards like these. They aren't always official, but are supported by the company Even Sprint has one.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by user23

In the last several months, I've been an habitué of the Apple Forums. IMHO, the "disappearing thread" phenomenon occurs because, at some point, the "flame" posts become a little out of control. Yet, I've never really seen any threads get that out of hand...With prudent moderating..any -good- thread can be brought back to life.

So, w/the removal of Apple's Support team on their forums..does that mean the support forums are going to disappear as well?

If so, that positions AI and/or MR for some heavy traffic.

It would seem so.

Unless they are going to revise the boards completely.

I don't see the boards continuing without at least some company participation.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    If any apple bigwigs read this forum:

Don't Get rid of the forums! Bring back the hosts! Reverse the decision!!

This majorly sucks if true...
  • Reply 15 of 58
    I have had many good tips and knowledgeable answers from the discussion forums. As well, I have posted answers to less experienced users to help them correct issues & challenges.

For those of us who believe that the Apple Discussion Forums were a good resource, please :

Forward your comment to Keep Apple Discussions moderated and supported to Apple corporation.

I do not think that they read Apple Insider comments, so we should act directly on this one. I plan on doing so today.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bruce Young

I have had many good tips and knowledgeable answers from the discussion forums. As well, I have posted answers to less experienced users to help them correct issues & challenges.

For those of us who believe that the Apple Discussion Forums were a good resource, please :

Forward your comment to Keep Apple Discussions moderated and supported to Apple corporation.

I do not think that they read Apple Insider comments, so we should act directly on this one. I plan on doing so today.

Definitely will. Anyone got a good email address...?
  • Reply 17 of 58
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It would seem so.

Unless they are going to revise the boards completely.

I don't see the boards continuing without at least some company participation.

Ditching their forums is just lame. Can't be accurate.

I'm with you in that it makes more sense to just revise them.

and, for those who believe threads are often locked/deleted to "cover Apple's ass" about defective products...Well, after giving it more thought, it seems to me that duplicate, pointless threads are often binned.

this thread has been going strong for some time.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by meelash

Definitely will. Anyone got a good email address...?

[email protected]

• Reply 19 of 58
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    I don't think that email works, TednDi or if you send an email you wont get a response.

Apple just needs to pull the discussion forums from their site and get it over with. This will put a stop to everything.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    They are not ditching the discussions only the moderation of them.

Since MacFixIt started its "Pro" bullshit, Apple Discussions has been the best place to go. The problem with the moderators is that a thread will start about a legitimate technical problem, some good discussion will begin, things will start to get personal or nasty, and POOF, all gone!

I generally go there for specific problems, not to whine at Apple (I do that at MacCentral).