Let's share Mac Pro ship dates

Comments

• Reply 41 of 403
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prophet928

In any case, the est. ship date is Sept. 12th. I called Apple yesterday just to verify if that is the case and the rep that I spoke with said that they are pushing these systems out and he expects that mine will ship by next week. Wishful thinking.

omgomgomgomg
  • Reply 42 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacfan

Sorry to rain on your parade, but most seem to think that any card from a G5, even the PCI-e ones are not EFI compliant, and so won't work in a Mac Pro.

David

Thanks dave i just found that out so let me ask would it be worth getting another Quadro or get the x1900

i do HD editing and work in motion/live type/shake and apeture

would like to hear what people have to say about this
  • Reply 43 of 403
    Isn't the Quadro edge in terms of accuracy for rendering or something? Because the edge isn't in speed, or so it seems. It looks like an equal to an x1900 in terms of stats (better in some areas, worse in others)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda

But Dad, it's cheaper than a Dell!

Hope that helps

The issue isn't whether it's a cost-effective workstation. It's that with a 20" non-Apple display, 2 more GB of RAM, and an eyeTV EZ, it costs $3500-3600, so it costs more than my car ($4600 two years ago) is worth.
  • Reply 44 of 403
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    I heard from the inside that Orders are fast and furious coming out of apple on Mac Pros but they're moving well.

The 1 config fits all seems to help in this respect.

Most resellers are doing the 3 config setup, so they're buying those in bulk, which translates apple probably making more of those in bulk.

Currenty if you hit one of the 3 configs (I think you can macmall.com them) They are avaiable next week in volume to most places.

CTO options I heard is being delayed for resellers somewhat so Apple can fill their orders first, so you're probably getting bumped up.

It's not really a problem since new stuff, resellers try to bundle anyway, and their 3 configs is prefered.
  • Reply 45 of 403
    Update:

Ordered: 8/8.

Shipped: 8/11.

(FedEx) Estimated Delivery: 8/17.
  • Reply 46 of 403
    Oh, and for the record: Buy.com has the ATI Radeon X1900 XT for $315. (Not the Mac version.)
  • Reply 47 of 403
    If you're getting it that quick, I assume you're a stock 7300GT and no airport?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic

Oh, and for the record: Buy.com has the ATI Radeon X1900 XT for $315. (Not the Mac version.)

So we pay the price of trading in the 7300GT in exchange for a card that works on both platforms. Fair deal, considering a 7300GT is worth at most $50 on EBay, and you have to ship it and pay commission.
  • Reply 48 of 403
    Quote:

Yeah, many places do. Depends on which OEM you buy. Apple isn't ripping you off as incredibly as they did with the 7800GT though.
  • Reply 49 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

If you're getting it that quick, I assume you're a stock 7300GT and no airport?

Exactly. The only things changed from stock are the processor speed (3GHz) and the Bluetooth card.

If I can't buy an Airport card and install it myself, I'll just skip it and buy some ungainly USB dongle thingy. I will soil Apple's beautiful case design because they won't let me buy it separately (and their BTO system has a clog in it).

Hopefully, there will eventually be a non-Apple source for EFI Radeons.
  • Reply 50 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Yeah, many places do. Depends on which OEM you buy. Apple isn't ripping you off as incredibly as they did with the 7800GT though.

I would have ordered it from them if it didn't delay shipment by more than a month.
  • Reply 51 of 403
    Quote:

I would have ordered it from them if it didn't delay shipment by more than a month.

Word on the street says that X1900 XT CTO's are shipping out next week.
  • Reply 52 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

$315 v. $500?

(I'm comparing actual price, not "upgrade" price from the stock nVidia card.)

I'd say a 58% markup qualifies as ripping me off.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=0&dcaid=15890

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ore=MA631Z%2FA
  • Reply 53 of 403
    I meant when you buy them as part of a BTO machine for what ends up being around $425. With the 7800GT, if I recall correctly, they were charging $450 beyond the stock 6600.

Yeah, their upgrade kit is pretty overpriced though.
  • Reply 54 of 403
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    just unpacked and setup my 23" display... man shes a beauty!

i was thinkin.. what should i do with my 17" lcd now? lol. theres no reason to use that puny thing to expand the desktop further...
  • Reply 55 of 403
    This is my first Mac Workstation. I've been purely a PC user all my life, for both gaming and Video Editing. As of the Mac Pro's announcement monday i have become a convert.

Placed my order for this machine....

2.66 GHz Quad Xeon

2GB 667 DDR2 FB DIMM ECC-4x512

ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB

500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive

2x16x SuperDrive DL

Airprt Extrm & BT 2.0+EDR

Apple Kybd & Wrls Mgty Ms

Mac OS X

Country Kit

A 20" Apple Cinema Display, would have gotten the 23 but i hear that the 23" isnt supported by Avid. Which is just as well i really dont mind using my old 17" for Bins.

the display should be here by friday by their estimation but its in Sacramento right now and i live in LA so maybe i'll get lucky! The Workstation is slated for delivery Sept 22nd, which sucks, but maybe they'll change that again. When i first ordered it, it was going to be a few more days than that.

Anyways happy to finally be part of this community.
  • Reply 56 of 403
    I just picked up my display, I'm itching to actually try it out (with the computer!). This is killing me!
  • Reply 57 of 403
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LeavingNormal

A 20" Apple Cinema Display, would have gotten the 23 but i hear that the 23" isnt supported by Avid.

What's Avid?

@Placebo: I'm with you
  • Reply 58 of 403
    Yeah, got an NEC 20WMGX2 20.1" widescreen for $500...great deal, found out that the seller was local so I saved on shipping too!
  • Reply 59 of 403
    MAC PRO 2.66QX/2X512/7300GT/250/SDUSA

\t

My first mac.

Shipment Date:

AUG 12, 2006

Estimated Delivered By:

AUG 18, 2006

I ordered today :-) (around 1:00 AM this morning)
  • Reply 60 of 403
    congratulations.