Vista woes helping to build a better Leopard

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 55
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ukuser


    Loepard looks really good, i cant wait to see what secrets apple are keeping untill its released!



    I wonder how many "secret" features apple actually has, and how many things they have planned but not sure will fit, and, thus, are being coy so people don't say things like "Apple said at WWDC that we'd have QuickDraw Extreme 2D SuperEdition and then its not here. Seems like Apple has MS's disease!"
  • Reply 42 of 55
    Apple will have things up it's sleeve, and I would bet that they only showed things that aren't that important. They probably showed a bunch of 3's and 4's and a pair when they have a Royal Flush in their hand, but wants to get as much out of everyone. And Mobius, when was the last time you saw a Vista article, in a major newspaper or magazine, that didn't mention OS X? Because I read a lot of things and it seems like every article mentions it and how it is right up there with Vista. That is a lot of free advertising and I'm sure Apple will have a marketing campagin. The way they run the company, they get a lot of coverage, just because they don't announce things before they are ready. Leopard is going to be nice and Vista will probably not be very good when comparing the two. And who wouldn't want a Mac on their desk if it can run both OS's, plus Linux?
  • Reply 43 of 55
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottie924


    And Mobius, when was the last time you saw a Vista article, in a major newspaper or magazine, that didn't mention OS X?



    Happens all the time in the UK. I think this is Apple's biggest failing. Why do international sales only account for around 40% of their sales? There is seriously low awareness of OS X outside the US.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee


    OMG you weren't around in the early/mid 90's were you? Think Performa. Think the 'dark days' just prior to Steve's return... Shudder I still have nightmares... Have a look at some of these links and pray nobody ever tries this again. No matter what that hawthornedirect.com page says (link below) that was Apple at the VERY bottom.

    ...

    Okay maybe I'm going overboard with how bad it was but Apple and infomercials just don't do it for me... Visions of bad actors and juicers and knives that can cut cans and "Ronco Hair In A Can" and oh make the visions stop, please make them stop...



    Dave



    I'm not talking about some quasi-sitcom with a happy ending.

    I'm talking 30 minute keynote presentation thats about Mac OS X not some made up family.



    If I recall correctly, one of the first things Steve did when returning to Apple was firing the ad agency they were currently using.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H


    Evidence please. I've never heard him talk shit (he usually just states the obvious) and also not noticed him changing his mind all that much, if at all.



    Which is sad, that he always states the obvious. I've also noticed he's quite vague with his ramblings.



    Now whenever I see an AppleInsider headliner that reads "says one Wall-Street analyst" I secretly hope "please not wu again, please not wu again."



    Then I keep reading and find out it's really from the Wu-man and I go awwwww crap, no new info here. Just rehash. Oh well, WuInsider it is.



    wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
  • Reply 46 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland


    Shaw Wu speaks a lot of shit. He also changes his mind like the wind.



    Isn't that an ancient Chinese saying?



    "While we [found Apple's] announcements impressive, we believe there may be slight investor disappointment that Leopard will not ship until Spring 2007 and that Apple did not make more announcements," the analyst said. However, we believe with Windows Vista likely further delayed due to stability issues with its latest Beta2 version and its 'look and feel' and feature set essentially a 'clone' of Apples's currently shipping Mac OS X Tiger, Apple is choosing to spend more time adding features unique to Leopard."



    This was the funniest part of his "advice for savvy investors": "we believe there may be slight investor disappointment that Leopard will not ship until Spring 2007 and that Apple did not make more announcements"...



    Those imaginary announcements were ones that he predicted! He should have said investors were disappointed by his bad advice.



    Wu... you're full of poo.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me


    This is easy. I have been around awhile, seen things, and learned from them. In my experience, ordinary Windows users will see the ease at which quality work can be produced on the Mac. They will then go right back to their sticks and stones, dismissing the Mac as borderline magic. Others clearly are intimidated by the fact that the Mac minimizes the barrier between its users and what they want to do. Of the more sophisticated colleagues, my most memorable is extremely proficient in Windows. She gets it that the Mac allows her to produce quality work with less effort. However, she repeats the mantra that the Mac is more expensive. When I told her that the Mac has no viruses, I got her attention in a good way. As for the this latest Apple ad campaign, I just didn't get it. I thought that it was juvenile. That is, I thought so until I walked in on a bunch of Windows-preferring university students in a computer lab. They were actually talking about the virus commercial. They believed it. It made them more favorably disposed to the Mac. I have never seen any commercial for any product or service ever get such an immediate positive response as this Apple ad.



    I believe that is because THAT is the only angle PC users can relate to. You know what you know. You cannot convince someone that OSX is easier to work with, crashes less, etc., until they sit down and work with it for a week. That isn't going to happen for most people. But the virus angle hits 'em right in the gut because that is their biggest issue.



    Apple needs to make a series of ads completely focused on virii. This is what PC users live every single day.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,275moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me


    As for the this latest Apple ad campaign, I just didn't get it. I thought that it was juvenile.



    I hear that quite a few times but I don't think it is. When I see M$ ads, I think god how boring can you get. The people-ready business?? I wish we could get the good ads in the UK because the rest just plain suck. Apple are a fun company and they make fun of their competition. I think it's great. I wouldn't have a problem if M$ did the same back but they're just not cool enough to pull it off.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005


    Agreed. And once Leopard ships, they could easily do such an ad about Mr. PC losing photos or music due to a hard drive failure, while the Mr. Mac talks about how he can go back in his Time Machine to retrieve it. Right out of the box.



    PC: [standing around, doing something innocuous.]



    Enter Mac.



    Mac: Hey, I found them. Here we go.



    PC: Huh? What are you talking about?



    Mac: All my photos. Remember?



    PC: I have no idea what you're talking about.



    Mac tries to get a word in edgewise, but PC continues indignantly.



    PC: I know you're supposed to be the best at the [airquote] digital lifestyle stuff. But the truth is I can do all those things too.



    Mac: oookaaaay.....



    PC: For instance, take a look at these photos.



    Mac: Alright.



    PC: [searching pockets] Yeah. You should see the phat effects I added with Paint.



    Mac: I can't wait.



    PC: [struggling to find his photos] "Awesome" doesn't even describe it.



    Mac: I bet.



    Enter another Mac.



    2nd Mac: Hey, what's he doing?



    1st Mac: [unconcerned that a duplicate has just shown up] Hey. He's looking for his photos. I think he lost them.



    PC: [getting more frustrated] I didn't lose them! [Looks up and sees two Macs. Confusion. Becomes more confused as he realizes what he's seeing.]



    2nd Mac: You know we have some great photos too.



    1st Mac: Oh, yeah. We could show him our photocast of our trip to Mexico. [To PC] You wanna check 'em out?



    PC: [mouth open with disbelief, nods.]



    2nd Mac: [starts looking but can't find them either] Hmm. I must've misplaced them or something.



    1st Mac: [quietly] What?



    PC: [to 1st Mac] See! It's not just me!



    2nd Mac: You know what. I'll just go back in time and get them. [walks off camera]



    PC: What? You can't do that. That's impossible! [looks after him, waiting for him to come back]



    (1st) Mac: Actually, with Time Machine on Mac OS X, we can go back and find anything we've accidentally lost or deleted, from important documents, contacts, music, movies, and...uh...photos.



    PC: [still looking off in the distance] No, [turns to Mac] you can't. You can't go back in time, find photos that you lost who knows when, and bring them to the fut--err, present.



    Mac: Yes, we can.



    PC: Well, then where are they?



    Mac: [holds up box of photos] right here.



    PC: [raises his finger, about to speak, becomes more confused]



    Cut to Voiceover [animation of Time Machine in action]: Now with Time Machine automatic data retrieval utility built in to Mac OS X, you never have to worry about losing important data. Ever. [animation cuts to standard image of iMac. Quick cut to:]



    PC: [looking at Mac's photos] Oh, that is cool.



    [Cut]
  • Reply 50 of 55
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielctull


    And you won't. Our laws don't allow these adverts. I believe it's only banks that are allowed to show comparisons to competitors because they can give absolute figures.



    Are you sure about that? I remember that used to be the case, but I think they've relaxed those laws now. I often see Sainsbury's saying how much lower their prices are than Tesco's. Although that's still a direct numerical comparison though I guess...
  • Reply 51 of 55
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me


    That is, I thought so until I walked in on a bunch of Windows-preferring university students in a computer lab. They were actually talking about the virus commercial. They believed it. It made them more favorably disposed to the Mac. I have never seen any commercial for any product or service ever get such an immediate positive response as this Apple ad.



    You say "they believed it" like it was some type of lie. Of course they believed it, the commercial was entirely true. It may have been misleading in some ways, but what they actually said was right. There was (whatever the number was) 40,000 known PC viruses last year... yeah for PCs not Macs. That doesnt mean there wasnt any for Macs, or that Macs cant get any, just that there wasnt 40,000 last year for Macs.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg


    Are you sure about that? I remember that used to be the case, but I think they've relaxed those laws now. I often see Sainsbury's saying how much lower their prices are than Tesco's. Although that's still a direct numerical comparison though I guess...



    whilst danielctull overstated things a bit by saying it's only Banks that are allowed to do it, I'm 99% sure that adverts are only allowed to make quantified, verifiable comparative statements. Anyone can make said comparisons though.



    For example, Apple's G5 ad had to be modified because the claimed it was the "worlds fastest desktop computer". Because that wasn't actually the case (it was only fastest in some specific tasks), the regulator made Apple withdraw the ad.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H


    whilst danielctull overstated things a bit by saying it's only Banks that are allowed to do it, I'm 99% sure that adverts are only allowed to make quantified, verifiable comparative statements. Anyone can make said comparisons though.



    For example, Apple's G5 ad had to be modified because the claimed it was the "worlds fastest desktop computer". Because that wasn't actually the case (it was only fastest in some specific tasks), the regulator made Apple withdraw the ad.



    Ah yes, I remember that. Stupid UK laws...
  • Reply 54 of 55
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich


    Apple needs to make a series of ads completely focused on virii. This is what PC users live every single day.



    Interesting that Steve chose to play the Virus ad during the WWDC keynote.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius


    Yeah, but what good is a 'streets-ahead' OS if you don't market it right, or at all come to that. Seriously, how many people outside the Mac bubble have even heard of OS X? And of the people that have, how many know what it has to offer...now. Nevermind about Leopard, does anyone outside of Macland know what they're missing RIGHT NOW?



    I plead with you Mr Jobs, advertise the OS, before the boat sails past without you on it.



    There actually were a slew of Mac OSX commercials Apple had made a LONG time ago. (For the debut of Jaguar).



    They were hosted on their website.. were pretty good... but were soon deleted and never aired on television as they were planned to have been. =(



    Here ya go:



    http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gr...r_touching.mov

    http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gr...s_yourself.mov

    http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gr..._junk_mail.mov

    http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gr...d_yourself.mov



    - Xidius
Sign In or Register to comment.