Vista woes helping to build a better Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Microsoft Corp's ongoing struggles with Windows Vista are buying Apple Computer more time to strengthen the features in its rival Mac OS X Leopard operating system, one Wall Street analyst says.

At its annual developers conference on Monday, Apple poked fun at Microsoft while introducing ten of the features Mac users could expect in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, slated to go on sale next spring. Up until the conference, Apple had insinuated that Leopard would make its debut a bit earlier in the new year.

Shaw Wu, an analyst with American Technology Research, said he expects Microsoft will have to report another round of Vista delays after a number of stability issues were discovered in the latest beta of the software. He said Apple is likely looking to capitalize on that situation by stretching out its development of Leopard in order to add more unique features.

In a summary of Apple's developer conference announcements sent to clients on Tuesday, Wu emphasized Apple's decision to keep some of Leopard's features "top secret," meaning the company has yet to reveal its full hand.

"While we [found Apple's] announcements impressive, we believe there may be slight investor disappointment that Leopard will not ship until Spring 2007 and that Apple did not make more announcements," the analyst said. "However, we believe with Windows Vista likely further delayed due to stability issues with its latest Beta2 version and its 'look and feel' and feature set essentially a 'clone' of Apples's currently shipping Mac OS X Tiger, Apple is choosing to spend more time adding features unique to Leopard."

Also on Monday, Apple announced its Mac Pro desktops systems, which Wu believes are valued quite well when compared to similar offerings from other system manufacturers. "In our analysis, it is also very competitive with high-end PCs and workstations that cost $3000-$6000," he said. "We anticipate this product to sell fairly well in its key markets, including professional and high-end customers who have patiently waited for a high-end Intel Mac"

Wu also told clients he wasn't surprised at the lack of iPod or music-related announcements at Apple's developers conference. He's long predicted a separate music event will take place in either September of October.

The analyst rates shares of Apple a "Buy" with a price target of $75.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    ukuserukuser Posts: 39member
    Loepard looks really good, i cant wait to see what secrets apple are keeping untill its released!
  • Reply 2 of 55
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    This makes a lot of sense. When Microsoft finally decides on a final release date for Vista Apple will release Leopard a few weeks before and steal Vista's thunder. Far better to delay Leopard until just the right moment when it cause the most damage to MS. If Leopard is out too earily people might forget about it when Vista comes along with its billion dollar marketing budget.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Yeah, but what good is a 'streets-ahead' OS if you don't market it right, or at all come to that. Seriously, how many people outside the Mac bubble have even heard of OS X? And of the people that have, how many know what it has to offer...now. Nevermind about Leopard, does anyone outside of Macland know what they're missing RIGHT NOW?

I plead with you Mr Jobs, advertise the OS, before the boat sails past without you on it.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Finally, a fair analysis from this guy.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Shaw Wu speaks a lot of shit. He also changes his mind like the wind.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jms698

If Leopard is out too earily people might forget about it when Vista comes along with its billion dollar marketing budget.

Actually I think Apple should just stick to its schedule and release it when its ready. Releasing just ahead of Vista will only bring all the frustration that windows users are experiencing with the delays to mac users. If they stick to their own time line Apple could be on Sabertooth by the time Vista is released.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Mobius is right on. Until Apple puts Time Machine, iChat collaboration, Spaces, etc. on prime time TV, no one other than you and me and maybe someone else is gonna know what the hell OSX is all about.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jms698

This makes a lot of sense. When Microsoft finally decides on a final release date for Vista Apple will release Leopard a few weeks before and steal Vista's thunder. Far better to delay Leopard until just the right moment when it cause the most damage to MS. If Leopard is out too earily people might forget about it when Vista comes along with its billion dollar marketing budget.

I agree. Smart analysis, and I think this is exactly what Apple is going to do.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler

I agree. Smart analysis, and I think this is exactly what Apple is going to do.

So do I, It would be great if apple advertised it as well. Just imagine, one minute you see an ad for Vista with all it's non-existant features, then next you see an ad with OS X's amazing qualities and features. It would be great!

I guess we'll be hitting OS X.4.10 soon!
  • Reply 10 of 55
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    On top of releasing Leopard a few weeks ahead, Apple should also release hardware specifically aimed at making their market share go up. A ONE two punch of great OS (Leopard) and Inexpensive single chip desktop Prosumer/Gamer system, Upgraded iMacs, and upgraded Xeon Pro systems would really be effective. And the ad campaign talks up OS X.5 but ends with a great line

"but this Leopard can change it's spots. If you want, You'll find our new hardware the best way to run Vista as well. Apple.

It may not give Apple 50% market share overnight but it is the best possible moment to dramatically change the market share reality of the PC market. After Vista launch hysteria, sales of computers will fall back into a regular upgrade cycle.

And if they have to sacrifice their markup for a quarter or two to gain all of this share they should do it. Expecting Vista to fail/falter leaves too much to chance.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah they should DEFINITELY do an ad showing all of Vista's features, then flash to a Mac, and show the equivalents in Tiger.

Sorta like...that movie with Bill Gates narrating Vista features but the video showing their equivalents in Tiger. In fact, I wish Apple could just air that shit. Seriously. That was fucking SWEET. AND, I think people would "get it." It'd be a fucking home run.

Let's fucking get rid of chiat/day with their "G5 blowing people through their wall" shit. What the fuck is Apple's Marketing Department's problem? These idiots definitely need to get back to Marketing 101. They haven't had a good ad since, well, 1984. Except the iPod ads.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I don't think Apple's Mac Marketing Department gets more than 10% of the funds that the iPod Marketing Department does. When was the last time you saw a Mac advert...?
  • Reply 13 of 55
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius

Yeah, but what good is a 'streets-ahead' OS if you don't market it right, or at all come to that. Seriously, how many people outside the Mac bubble have even heard of OS X? And of the people that have, how many know what it has to offer...now. Nevermind about Leopard, does anyone outside of Macland know what they're missing RIGHT NOW?

I plead with you Mr Jobs, advertise the OS, before the boat sales past without you on it.

Agree 100%
  • Reply 14 of 55
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Shaw Wu speaks a lot of shit. He also changes his mind like the wind.

Evidence please. I've never heard him talk shit (he usually just states the obvious) and also not noticed him changing his mind all that much, if at all.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg

When was the last time you saw a Mac advert...?

Hi. I'm a Mac.

And I'm a PC.

• Reply 16 of 55
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    it's sad but true. i have worked with plenty of windows zealots, and they have no idea what os x does or is. i tell them over and over, and they forget within seconds. then i can work with 98% of the files they give me, yet when i give them a file THEY can't open, they blame the macs "shortcomings." problem is, they are also beyond reason. they are beyond even listening. i think you could strap them into a chair and glue their eyes open and stare at the genie effect for days and they still couldn't tell you what was going on.

i mean, it's friggin' bizarre. maybe apple knows those people are too far gone, and just want to work the subversive angle, where the kids go to the apple store, drag mom and dad there, and while the kids are looking at ipod accessories, the parents just tinker with the desktop, and THEN they're hooked. but they can't be TOLD to do it.

that's why the ipod and apple stores are such a great 1-2 combination. pity there's not an apple store in ottawa (c'mon, apple! it's the capital! maybe a mini-store? pretty please???)
  • Reply 17 of 55
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rok

it's sad but true. i have worked with plenty of windows zealots, and they have no idea what os x does or is. i tell them over and over, and they forget within seconds. then i can work with 98% of the files they give me, yet when i give them a file THEY can't open, they blame the macs "shortcomings." problem is, they are also beyond reason. they are beyond even listening. i think you could strap them into a chair and glue their eyes open and stare at the genie effect for days and they still couldn't tell you what was going on.

i mean, it's friggin' bizarre. maybe apple knows those people are too far gone, and just want to work the subversive angle, where the kids go to the apple store, drag mom and dad there, and while the kids are looking at ipod accessories, the parents just tinker with the desktop, and THEN they're hooked. but they can't be TOLD to do it.

that's why the ipod and apple stores are such a great 1-2 combination. pity there's not an apple store in ottawa (c'mon, apple! it's the capital! maybe a mini-store? pretty please???)

This is why I think Apple's marketshare will increase with a snowball effect. Each person who gets and loves a mac tells all of their friends. A fifth of those people get and love their mac and tell their friends. A fifth of their friends get and buy a mac. Soon you've got a lot of market share.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman

Hi. I'm a Mac.

And I'm a PC.

Sadly, those ads fail to advertise the Mac, they simply advertise the arrogence and elietisum of Apple and to a large extent, re-enforce the steriotype that us "switchers" (at least the computer pros amoungst us) have to face each day when we mention that we use Macs...
  • Reply 19 of 55
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    After visiting Apple's Leopard preview page, I'm already excited over two of the features; Time Machine and the collaboration enhancements in iChat, specifically the screen sharing. I have an external drive now that I use for back-ups, but I do it manually. Time Machine is going to be perfect for automating that for me. And I also use Remote Desktop to help my parents out when they need it. So yeah, I'm pretty excited.

I agree with some of the people on here though, Apple needs to get a visible demo commercial, so people can see how wonderful the OS is ... the problem is, a 30 second ad, is usually not enough time. The real problem is, OS X doesn't offer much more than Windows to your average home user. The only advantages are already discussed in their "PC/Mac" commercials.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

Sadly, those ads fail to advertise the Mac, they simply advertise the arrogence and elietisum of Apple and to a large extent, re-enforce the steriotype that us "switchers" (at least the computer pros amoungst us) have to face each day when we mention that we use Macs...

Agreed.

What Apple needs is cutting edge advertising that actually informs. Easier said than done in 30 seconds but hey that's what creativity is all about.